My first attempt at trance

[url]http://soundcloud.com/belfastchris/tranceduction-chris-thompson[/url]

First attempt at making a trance track on Abilton Live

loads still to do and not happy with a few things on it

Tell me what you think anyways or any tips that my help

Cheers :)=

Chris,

I hit you up on Soundcloud. V good first attempt, liked the track especially the second breakdown. If I were to suggest anything I’d add more spacious pads with plenty of reverb to create that wide energy filled sound that seems a staple in Trance Production, nothing overly audible, just something to give it real atmosphere. I’d also work some automation at the end of each breakdown so that the kicks slam back in instead of drop, that’s if your going for that big room jump up kind of sound. Other than that good work mate!

Danny

Hey Danny Cheers!

I shall try see how the reverb works out… the base needs changed and bits of the base added in here and there and also need work on a finish, plus a more punchy kick needed i thinks!

Cheers for comments :slight_smile:

[quote]Belfastchris (12/09/2010)[hr]Hey Danny Cheers!

I shall try see how the reverb works out… the base needs changed and bits of the base added in here and there and also need work on a finish, plus a more punchy kick needed i thinks!

Cheers for comments :)[/quote]

No probs fella.

Some nice elements in there dude.

You’re spot on with the kick, doesn’t sit right at all, the snare needs to be more pronounced as well, it’s getting lost in the mix.

Try and mix up your percussion too, I think it’s just the same thing over and over.

Decent synth work though.

Yeah i know what you mean, seems be samething over and over a bit repetitive! Cheers for the tips though… im going to start a fresh project Maybe come back too it at a later date! I think it worked out not bad for first go and to get used to the DAW hopefully can push it a bit more and learn more trick for good sounds :slight_smile:

Trance has alot of ambient fx noises floating and fluttering away in the background. The mixdowns are also quite wide, lotsa delays, reverb, chorus, stereo widening, auto panning etc. Definately add some of that it all sounds a bit thin to me, but you did say your working on the bass a quick fix is to add a thick barely audible off beat sub bass. Then your drums, you need more variation chuck in some more percussive loops as it’s too much of the same. Your sounds to me do sound good just some aspects need a bit of width to them try to get your mix sounding wider and fuller. Bursts of white noise sweeping up and down or just echoing in the background do wonders for filling the gaps. Then finally I come to your melodies and well music. This to me is the biggest problem of the track. There’s no real hook, nothing big and epic and the melody at the start it just doesn’t make sense it sounds like someone with a blindfold on is just hitting different keys completely at random. But it’s a start mate and for a first attempt sound wise it’s pretty neat and tidy but musically it has a long way to go.

2nd breakdown sounds indeed cool

What I didn’t like at your song is its lack of structure. As as listener I never got the feeling for the song, as some types of sounds appear to be almost randomly (drums kicking in at 1:01, that lead in the beginning which jjdejong already mentioned, your automation work, that weird delayed kick in at 4:01)

Did you program the synthsounds by yourself or what did you use?

Yeah there is alot of things that need sharpened up… as i say i was just giving a quick blast at drawing something up and getting something into action, there loads drops that could be added and prob loads randomness here & there

Yeah i started with a baseline and took the baseline notes too work make stabs from using nexus

Keep going mate. It takes a long time of hard work and learning plus experience to get this stuff sounding right.

After a while, once you’ve made other songs, you can come back to it and instantly you’ll recognise what needs to be fixed.

The idea’s are there, just the technique is lacking a bit. :cool: