Need help/info about KRK Monitors!

Hi everyone, I just got back from the music store!

I went there with the intention to pick up some KRK Rokit 6’s after doing a lot of research and heard everyone is very happy with those.

When I walked into the music store and talked to the sales associate he asked me what type of music I was going to be playing/producing and I told him, Electro/house/dub and that i’d be using my guitars and drumset with them as well.

And he told me that the Krk 6’s wouldnt be able to handle that as it cant support as low a range of frequency as the 8’s and that the 8’s would be a far better choice.

As well he said if I was using any kick drum or bass guitar/sounds the 6’s wouldnt be able to pick them up then he played the lower 5 keys on a keyboard and they had no sound which he explained was due to the 6’s not being able to go low enough, is this true?

When I asked him for help in that department he said he knew a ‘little’ about studio monitors as he was from the guitar section.

Then after talking to that guy I spoke to another associate who works in that department and he also said that the 6’s would only suit someone who was doing acoustic/high vocals and any professional studio or studio who’s serious about music would have the 8’s.

The whole experience was really wacky so I left without purchasing anything, what do you guys think? Should I go for the 8’s? Or are they trying to upsell me, I know the salesmen work on commission there, perhaps the 8’s have a larger spiff. :w00t:

Any opinion is appreciated, thanks!

look on the krk website it should give the spec of frequency range the speakers are able to produce

or try thomann.de if krk doesnt have it (it should tho)

i have KRK RP5 and they are absolutely fine, i dont see why 6 wouldnt be

i think they are pulling a move on you mate - go to a different store

i wouldnt give those guys my custom again

He obviously wants you to buy the more expensive model.

I have the 6s and they’re f*cking awesome! Basically you’ll only need the 8s if you have a pretty big room/studio. Besides, i’ve heard from a few people they’re a bit over powering on the low end.

[quote]Roben (04/06/2011)[hr]He obviously wants you to buy the more expensive model.

I have the 6s and they’re f*cking awesome! Basically you’ll only need the 8s if you have a pretty big room/studio. Besides, i’ve heard from a few people they’re a bit over powering on the low end.[/quote]

Ahh really!

Yeah, it really felt like they were kind of teaming up together on that one, what really made me skeptical is when they said the 6’s would be good if I was making “acoustic/high vocals” music. What!?!? WHAT?? haha, who limits monitors like that.

But I do have three main concerns with the 6’s and that’s

1. I really like making low bassy music, and hearing those low bass drops, will those speakers be able to support that? What was the deal with the speakers not playing the low 5 keys on the keyboard it was plugged into, do you think the patch the keyboard was on just ended at those keys and the guy was a moron?
  2. I’m worried that the 6’s when mixing, will make it difficult to differentiate the lows and the mids, however, i’ve read that the 8’s dampen the mids a lot and that screws with the mix.
  3. My studio is Very long and awkward shaped as its a open basement, kind of like a L shape, the computer is at the tip of the L haha. However, I dont want to buy my monitors to accomodate this studio as I believe I will be moving soon.

Thanks for the help so far guys.
  1. You can hear low end well on the 6’s, to be honest i’m surprised they didn’t show you in the shop?

Obviously with a 8" cone on the 8’s you’re going to get better subs, but to be honest i’ve worked a beaut of a subline in my latest track im working on, and i hear it fine.

You COULD opt to buy a sub speaker afterwards if you need it, at least then you could switch it off and on when needed? Food for thought.

2. Yeah i’m just going from what i’ve read and heard from when I was deciding between the 8s and the 6s, but apparently the 8s arn’t as good for the mids or something like that?? Don’t quote me on it though, i’m going from others.

3. Not really sure if there was a question in 3 haha.

Look, the best bet for you is to bring a few tunes you know and love to the shop, load it up and listen to the difference.

[quote]H0BB5Y (04/06/2011)[hr][quote]Roben (04/06/2011)[hr]He obviously wants you to buy the more expensive model.

I have the 6s and they’re f*cking awesome! Basically you’ll only need the 8s if you have a pretty big room/studio. Besides, i’ve heard from a few people they’re a bit over powering on the low end.[/quote]

Ahh really!

Yeah, it really felt like they were kind of teaming up together on that one, what really made me skeptical is when they said the 6’s would be good if I was making “acoustic/high vocals” music. What!?!? WHAT?? haha, who limits monitors like that.

But I do have three main concerns with the 6’s and that’s

1. I really like making low bassy music, and hearing those low bass drops, will those speakers be able to support that? What was the deal with the speakers not playing the low 5 keys on the keyboard it was plugged into, do you think the patch the keyboard was on just ended at those keys and the guy was a moron?
  2. I’m worried that the 6’s when mixing, will make it difficult to differentiate the lows and the mids, however, i’ve read that the 8’s dampen the mids a lot and that screws with the mix.
  3. My studio is Very long and awkward shaped as its a open basement, kind of like a L shape, the computer is at the tip of the L haha. However, I dont want to buy my monitors to accomodate this studio as I believe I will be moving soon.

Thanks for the help so far guys.[/quote]

was it the 5s or the 6s that are supposed to be the most responsive in the krk range? cant remember.

[quote]Roben (04/06/2011)[hr]1. You can hear low end well on the 6’s, to be honest i’m surprised they didn’t show you in the shop?

Obviously with a 8" cone on the 8’s you’re going to get better subs, but to be honest i’ve worked a beaut of a subline in my latest track im working on, and i hear it fine.

You COULD opt to buy a sub speaker afterwards if you need it, at least then you could switch it off and on when needed? Food for thought.

2. Yeah i’m just going from what i’ve read and heard from when I was deciding between the 8s and the 6s, but apparently the 8s arn’t as good for the mids or something like that?? Don’t quote me on it though, i’m going from others.

Look, the best bet for you is to bring a few tunes you know and love to the shop, load it up and listen to the difference.[/quote]

Ahh, alright, thanks.

yeah, they only had the 6’s available to test and they were hooked up to a piano, there mixer and speaker wall was going under reno’s so everything was kind of tangled and messy, along with the fact that the salesperson i had I dragged out from the guitar section.

and by question 3 I was just referring to when you said it depends on the size of my room, but yeah, there wasnt really a question in there, just my situation.

But bottom line, you have no regrets with choosing the 6’s?

Non what so ever, but that’s just me.

I have the 8s !!! They are Sick !! If you cant hear the lows then you have no lows … :w00t:

Don’t buy KRK. Buy Genelec or Adam. :wink:

[quote]H0BB5Y (05/06/2011)[hr][quote]Roben (04/06/2011)[hr]1. You can hear low end well on the 6’s, to be honest i’m surprised they didn’t show you in the shop?

Look, the best bet for you is to bring a few tunes you know and love to the shop, load it up and listen to the difference.[/quote]

Ahh, alright, thanks.

yeah, they only had the 6’s available to test and they were hooked up to a piano, there mixer and speaker wall was going under reno’s so everything was kind of tangled and messy, along with the fact that the salesperson i had I dragged out from the guitar section.

and by question 3 I was just referring to when you said it depends on the size of my room, but yeah, there wasnt really a question in there, just my situation.

But bottom line, you have no regrets with choosing the 6’s?[/quote]

hey m8 im wondering what you choose, i have same problem im lookin for a Monitors.

In that price range there are a couple of options. Personally, after listening back and forth after awhile and using a CD with different genres on each set of speakers I decided to go with the Mackie MR5’s as I felt they had a flatter sound. The KRK’s were a lot muddier in the mid range and I felt they colored the sound on the low end a little to much. I’ve been very happy with the MR5’s. Really, you need to test out different speakers as to what you hear. It was easier for me to pick out the individual sounds on the Mackies, so that’s what I went with. Others like the KRK’s, but it ultimately comes down to what speakers can you hear the most on with your own ear. Both the KRK’s and Mackies have about the same reviews.

Again, bring in a CD with songs that you are familiar with every part of and listen for the different elements. For the song choices bring in at least one song with extreme lows in it like adubstep track, then pick something with good mid range sounds like something with alot of pads or synths, and then one song with some very bright highs. Whichever speaker you can grab the most clarity with then that should be your choice. Not the ones that make the song sound the best, but the ones that allow you to hear the individual lows, mids, and highs clearly.

Monitors are different then picking out a good surround system for an entertainment unit. They are there to help you mix each part properly and not just to sound nice.

Did he ask about your room size at any point? IF not he’s an idiot and doesn’t know what he’s talking about.

Like Rob said, the 6s are awesome, I have a pair. I don’t have a big room, but the 8’s would sound better in a bigger room. In mine, they’d suck (average size bedroom)

Thanks for all the great advice guys, I’m happy to say I ended up choosing the 6’s, went to a different store and got patch cables and a bit of a discount.

I couldn’t be happier, I honestly wasn’t expecting them to sound very good, I expected studio monitors to sound really, I don’t know, cold? These sound so good, I had no idea the impact that studio monitors have on producing, you can really hear everything and differentiate sounds apart from one another. I’ve been listening to older tracks i’ve mixed and can hear so many mistakes.

Went to my friends house who has pair of the same logitech speakers I had coincidentally and just tried playing around in ableton and I found it almost impossible on those speakers :hehe:

And on a side note that salesman was a f@#khead, There’s more bass on these than there was on my 2.1 Logitech set.

what about mackies?