New Course - Synthesis 101 - FM Synthesis

In the 2nd part of our Synthesis 101 range we take a look FM Frequency Modulation.

We take the core elements of FM Synthesis and show how they are used to make up this unique sound.

Covering everything from how the sound is generated with oscillators and modulators, what exactly a sideband is and how it is created, manipulating the sound with envelopes and creating complicated evolving patches using more than 1 modulator.

Finally just to finish up we take some common FM sounds and show you how to recreate them using Ableton Lives Operator VST, but you should be able to apply the same principles to any FM Synthesiser.

Enjoy and leave your comments here!

[quote]bryan spence (17/12/2010)[hr]In the 2nd part of our Synthesis 101 range we take a look FM Frequency Modulation.

We take the core elements of FM Synthesis and show how they are used to make up this unique sound.

Covering everything from how the sound is generated with oscillators and modulators, what exactly a sideband is and how it is created, manipulating the sound with envelopes and creating complicated evolving patches using more than 1 modulator.

Finally just to finish up we take some common FM sounds and show you how to recreate them using Ableton Lives Operator VST, but you should be able to apply the same principles to any FM Synthesiser.

Enjoy and leave your comments here!

[/quote]

now this is what I’m talking about (by the sounds of it!) busy weekend in the studio ahead! the mrs is gonna sack me!

yes Wayne, spot on that. Looking forward to checking these out.

Yes! Exactly what i’ve been waiting for.

Since I’m going to be snowed in - looks like this will occupy my weekend - cheers :slight_smile:

Cool I’ve got an old yamaha tx81z and now wondering if I can transfer to that :slight_smile:

Just finished watching as always spot on bryan :smiley:

Looking forward to jumping into this as well. Supposed to get our five days of rain for the year here in Southern California so I imagine I’ll have plenty of time!

In a year you get 5 days of rain?!!?!!

Bloody hell that’s like the complete flip reverse for us… at about 5 days of sun!! haha

Yep, and those five days are the worst five days on the planet. You would think that hell froze over out here. People don’t know how to drive. 100s of car accidents a day, lots fatal. It’s best to stay in or take mass transit when it rains here. Add all the holiday shoppers too! As far as the geography though, Los Angeles and San Diego are basically oasis’ in the desert. Both cities are essentially blocked from the desert by a mountain range. So, ocean to the West, mountains to the East, and then a big vast desert of nothingness and useless land for a 1000 miles.

We’re just surrounded in freezing, grey, sh*t filled atlantic ocean! 90% rain, 99% cold and if you’re very lucky you may get a ‘hot’ day… which would be the same as a ‘cold’ day where you live! lol. Double the fact that everything is super expensive and tax is bloody taxing!

But for some reason… the whole world want’s to live here hahaha

There is something though about this isle, i do love it, perhaps it’s the great nightlife and music scene, perhaps it’s just cos i’ve grown up here and know nothing better, who knows lol :slight_smile:

When I lived in Spain it was ‘only’ 300 days of sun a year. That was too much.

Hearing that about LA though reminds me of one of the all time greats, the late great BILL HICKS:

After hearing that im considerin moving to america… i hate Ireland.

so today I plan to spend in the studio, this is on my list, whats the views so far guys>?

“swish swash swap” says Bryan.

Think he’s been on the Guiness again :wink: :smiley:

Wayne, yeah it’s good :slight_smile:

I’m afraid this was all over my head - will come back when I’ve picked up more knowledge :crying:

I thought it was excellent. Having the spectrum analyser on there at the same time was a stroke of genius as it gave an instant visual representation of the modulations he was applying. Brilliant.

The sidebands thing adding harmonics makes so much more sense to me now. Still have to watch the Bells one.