New laptop for free (kinda) what to get

So I knocked my laptop and detacted the screen on one side… my insurance company for giving me £400 to spend on a new one (by the way the old one is 4/5 years old on vista) good deal if you ask me! I might even add an extra £150 bucks to it.

So I’ve £550 for a new one, can only my from PC World however.

So tell me, what should I get - will be used for work, MS Office 2010, and mobile production. I like the idea of Logic but I hate mac so please dont list 100000000000 of them.

So please give me some recomendations (From pc world). I have a high powered gaming PC/Studio/Offiice desktop already :smiley:

[quote]

I like the idea of Logic but I hate mac so please dont list 100000000000 of them.

[/quote]

You can forget about owning logic then lol pc are reasonably easy to Hack but laptops are a little more complicated and tend not to work that greatly if im honest.

To be honest i would wait until the Jan Sales. I got my wife a £1400 packard bell for £435 last year and seemed to get a lot of bang for buck value, if it hadn’t of been for the sale she would have ended up with some laggy crap for that price from PC world (not the cheapest supplier of pc’s)

nah no laptop and need one now… I know PC’s inside out, and can fix any bugs, build them, upgrade them etc etc you name it so not bother about hacking, virus etc etc as I’m more then able on this front :slight_smile: - can debug blue screens errors and fix and all the crap, dont ask me how I know all this ****, been at it since I was about 8 years old!

[quote]gofunk (14/10/2010)[hr]nah no laptop and need one now… I know PC’s inside out, and can fix any bugs, build them, upgrade them etc etc you name it so not bother about hacking, virus etc etc as I’m more then able on this front :slight_smile: - can debug blue screens errors and fix and all the crap, dont ask me how I know all this ****, been at it since I was about 8 years old![/quote]

hahaha same as me bro, i just started playing around with pc’s when i was really young and have no problems doing anything really but i would struggle to explain what i am doing to someone else lol

oh well no advice… off to buy one now :slight_smile:

[quote]gofunk (15/10/2010)[hr]oh well no advice… off to buy one now :)[/quote]

Lol which one did you go for.

dunno yet mate - off to get it now - will let you know when I get back!

[quote]gofunk (15/10/2010)[hr]dunno yet mate - off to get it now - will let you know when I get back![/quote]

Why don’t you do what Jon says and wait till january sales? You’ll get a lot more bang for your buck for the sake of a few months.

[quote]gofunk (14/10/2010)[hr] I like the idea of Logic but I hate mac

[/quote]

Yeah same, I’ve been using Macs and Logic at my course and to be honest I just can’t get used to either of them.

Logic irritates me because the work flow is a little different to Ableton, things like zooming in and out for example is different and bugs the hell out of me. Also with Macs, it stunts my workflow.

I’ve been using PCs most my life so I know them inside out, if i don’t have to be concentrating on what i’m doing with the PC or with Logic then my concentration can all be aimed at creativity, rather than every two minutes getting frustrated and stressed because i’ve pressed a key i’m used to pressing with Ableton / PC, and it does something completely different or nothing at all on Logic / Mac. haha.

I say this however, but would love a macbook over a laptop… only because i know it’s less likely to crash if i’m to use it during a set (LIVE DJ set).

However a laptop i’d still be happy with for production on the go.

insurance claim mate so I only put an extra £150 towards it!

Got a Aspire 5553G

Pretty decent specs I must say:

AMD Phenom II X4 2GH

ATI 5470

4GB DDR3

320GB HD (a bit low but I have a USB one too)

Windows 7 HP 64bit

All in all pretty good considering it only cost me £150!! :smiley:

Now to get this ****er fired up

seems cool mate should be more that enough to produce some solid tracks