Hey, I bought ableton few weeks ago, and I really want to start producing my own music.

I play drums, guitars for 5 years and I have a mini dj set up with a pair of monitors ( prodipe pro 8 ), bought a new computer 1 month ago too. The thing is that I dont know where to start, what VSTi’s should I get, How to make this…etc. Ill turn 18 in 2 weeks and I want to spend all my money in producing. Btw I listen to a lot of things, like dubstep, DnB , prog house , techno etc …stuff from deadmau5, noisia, skrillex, rusko, bla bla bla . Maybe I need some help . Thanks and GL to all producers around here.

Hey and welcome.

Starting out can be daunting, and I know from experience there can be a desire/impulse to try and get up to speed by getting this that and the other.

If I were you I would concentrate on understanding the fabric of the process by watching the videos here, and getting just one VST synth and mastering it. They are all more or less the same anyway, so learning one inside out will serve you well.

I could recommend a number of vst’s but in my personal experience Native Instruments’s Massive lends itself particularly well to DnB and Dubstep plus Electro… and it’s just a good all round synth. Other excellent choices include Sylenth (lennar digital), and Alchemy (Camel audio).

That all said, if you have Ableton suite, learn Analog and Operator, as you already have them, and they equal any top ‘paid for’ synth easily, so why spend money if you don’t need to!

[quote]bangthedj (16/01/2011)[hr]

That all said, if you have Ableton suite, learn Analog and Operator, as you already have them, and they equal any top ‘paid for’ synth easily, so why spend money if you don’t need to![/quote]

Totally agree bang !! :slight_smile:

I agree with both Bang and Egg. Freak whatcha got! Its easy to get new plugins and other gear all the time. Instead, learn what you have inside and out. You can make pro music with Ableton Suite. Watch the videos on this website and use the search function to find articles and conversations previously discussed. Good luck!

Thanks a lot guys, I will watch every begginner tutorial from SA , just subscribed and one more question.

I have a pair of monitors ( prodipe pro 8 ribbon ), there is a XLR , RCA and TRS outputs I think well my question is how can I plug them in to my computer. Thanks :slight_smile:

What soundcard do you have ?

[quote]joaoeribeirowow (16/01/2011)[hr]Thanks a lot guys, I will watch every begginner tutorial from SA , just subscribed and one more question.

I have a pair of monitors ( prodipe pro 8 ribbon ), there is a XLR , RCA and TRS outputs I think well my question is how can I plug them in to my computer. Thanks :slight_smile:

[/quote]

It’s a normal soundcard It came with my pc , input for phones and mic i think like a mini jack

Hi

You will need some form of interface to connect the computer to the speakers.

You need to ask yourself a couple of Q’s to make sure you get the right one for you

USB or FireWire, which do you have on your computer?

Inputs/outputs, you will need two outputs to your speakers, will you need anymore, and will you need inputs for mics or D.I instruments(bass guitars commonly)

Price, what’s your price range(fairly obvious lol)

Hope that helps