New to djing & serato itch need some guidance guys!

Hi guys I’m new to DJing & just bought VESTAX VCI 300 & using Serato Itch. I’ve got a few questions on starting out for beginners when it comes to mixing tracks so if you guys be kind enough to explain my burning questions or post some links for tutorials that be awesome!

Steps to start mixing tracks

1.Do we begin by loading a track to deck A then another to deck B but follow the BPM & key of track A?

2.Do we then beat match to deck A by shifting the pitch to deck A’s BPM then match the beat by finding the kick on deck B, rocking the platter back & forth then release it by counting in time with the beat of deck A to get it aligned? (Is there a simpler way for digital Djs?)

3.Do we have to find 2 songs that are in the same key in order for them to not clash? Is there any way to sync them if they’re in different keys?

4.Is it true that every 8 BPM is a half note, so technically eg 2 tracks:

Track 1. 130 BPM in F# & Track 2. 138 BPM in G

If I pitch shift track 2 to -8 BPM, does that mean that track 2 will be 130 BPM in F#. Same key & same speed?

5.Is the next step after all the beat matching & syncing to start playing with cue points so that we can mix both tracks according to what we want like where track B should start so we can fade in seamlessly?

Thanks guys for stopping by & hope can get some awesome tips soon… :slight_smile:

Hi Stealthy,

There is actually DJ tutorial videos on this site which should give you all the advice you need (although i’ve never watched them due to not needing too). If there is anything that isn’t covered in the videos, feel free to PM me and i’ll help you the best I can.

Here is a link to the DJing for Beginners videos:

[url=http://www.sonicacademy.com/DJs/Product+Detail/?contentId=1729&bt=Videos]http://www.sonicacademy.com/DJs/Product+Detail/?contentId=1729&bt=Videos[/url]

In regards to mixing in key, try getting hold of Mixed in Key - [url=http://www.mixedinkey.com/]http://www.mixedinkey.com/[/url]

Although it really does depend on what genre you mix as to whether you’ll need it as much or not so much. For instance it’s big with trance DJs, but maybe not so much needed for selected other genres.

Hi guys I’m new to DJing & just bought VESTAX VCI 300 & using Serato Itch. I’ve got a few questions on starting out for beginners when it comes to mixing tracks so if you guys be kind enough to explain my burning questions or post some links for tutorials that be awesome!

Steps to start mixing tracks

1.Do we begin by loading a track to deck A then another to deck B but follow the BPM & key of track A?

2.Do we then beat match to deck A by shifting the pitch to deck A’s BPM then match the beat by finding the kick on deck B, rocking the platter back & forth then release it by counting in time with the beat of deck A to get it aligned? (Is there a simpler way for digital Djs?)

3.Do we have to find 2 songs that are in the same key in order for them to not clash? Is there any way to sync them if they’re in different keys?

4.Is it true that every 8 BPM is a half note, so technically eg 2 tracks:

Track 1. 130 BPM in F# & Track 2. 138 BPM in G

If I pitch shift track 2 to -8 BPM, does that mean that track 2 will be 130 BPM in F#. Same key & same speed?

5.Is the next step after all the beat matching & syncing to start playing with cue points so that we can mix both tracks according to what we want like where track B should start so we can fade in seamlessly?

Thanks guys for stopping by & hope can get some awesome tips soon…

Wow it sounds Like you are really Stressed out man. I’m not that Familiar with Serato itch but I know Scratchlive like the back of my hand and have been DJing for 17 years so I’m pretty sure I can help.

Ok it sounds like you are trying to DJ either Trance or House. Keying is an art form do you own Mixed in key? if not get it. 2nd somewhere on the program is the MASTER TEMPO button make sure that is always on!

next do you know how to beat match at all? If not thats where you start not with keying. take two tracks that don’t sound horrible together and mix them all day long straight through as long as it takes for you to get perfectly smooth doing that. Try taking out the bass frequencies of the tracks so they don’t clash.

After you get your beat matching down then you need to work on timing. 8 counts 16 counts 32 count etc. hit me back and let me know if this helps.