New track do you dream? Space chilled out melodic house

I would really appreciate some feedback on my track

Thanks for taking the time to check out my track

1 Like

Hi there @fred29

Very interesting track with lot’s of nice sounds, like this space chilled feel you tried to maintain across the progression while still keeping some energy with the drums. The arrangement is quite nice, making the track enjoyable to follow. Just not sure about that long bass recurring midi notes ( track 18 ) along the progression. It’s the only part I found a bit boring, it could evolve a bit IMO.

Now mixing wise you have issue with the kick and your low end, it’s sounding a bit dull and too much boomy.
Not sure if it’s the kick itself or the processing you did on your Drums Group since you kept the Kick inside it as well. It’s a common practice to keep the Kick out of the Drums Bus/Group in order to process it separately.

Think you could make this one really shine if you manage to fix that low end issue, get the kick working fine without creating that rumbling & boomy sound. A shorter kick with a higher frequency range click sound to help to cut through might work for this track, and give it a try to process it outside your drums bus/grp.

You also have a lot of low energy going on with that bass, next to the Midi arrangement itself, might be worth to cut some low frequencies on this bass, that should help to make space for the kick and the other elements too.

But again, the track itself is nice for this genre, the different synths are playing nicely and the drums giving it a nice groove. Last comment would be about tracks naming, do it for all of them, while you’re working on a project you will know what audio x or instrument x tracks are but if you have to come back to it after a while, that won’t make sense anymore. Keeping the session very organized right from the start is a good habit :wink:

Hope this helps, cheers !

Really appreciate your time listening to this track. To be honest I didn’t mix it, wasn’t sure it was worth it. But now after your feedback I will make the changes
What your saying makes sense, but sometimes it takes someone else to point it out. Again I appreciate it
Thanks
Fred

1 Like

A little update to my track
https://soundcloud.com/user-868013455-804001334/do-you-dream-original-mix
enjoy

1 Like

Hi again @fred29

Much better IMO, the Kick is now working, watch out for levels and that sub frequency & growling sound you can have with this bass still ( you can clearly hear that at 0:50 ) , also those toms have a lot of low end, I think you could still cut some low end with an EQ or reduce their level a tiny bit.

Speaking about levels, you could draw back the all Mix for 2/4 dB IMO. When you prepare a track for uploading onto SoundCloud, you should be cautious with levels & keeping some headroom. Soundcloud is different than other streaming platforms like Spotify or Tidal which normalize tracks and play them back at defined LUFS ( loudness ) targets levels ( -14 LUFS for Soptify & Tidal ). Soundcloud doesn’t normalize the tracks but trans-code the audio to 128kbps MP3 for streaming. That can easily introduce clipping and distortion if your track is already quite loud.
So recommendation is to not go over -7 LUFS short term ( loudest peaks ) and when your track matches this loudness, keep at least -1dB / -2 dB of headroom, don’t aim at the max 0 dB.

Keeping some dynamic & preserving the organic feel of this track would be beneficial IMO, I know I’m going into details but that bass could still be enhanced & pay attention to the low end & levels, but again I think this track is a nice combination of great synths sounds with a good rhythmic part and it’s enjoyable to listen to it.

Good work, keep it on !
Cheers

super nice song but i find the second version too hard and sharp sounding. for me i’d try how it sounds with a low kick coming from a synth, e.g. arturia’s moog mini, an obvious reverb on the percussion tracks and reducing the high end on the hihats plus saturation and downsampling on the drum bus and a ton of compression or sth like that.