New track - mix test

Hey Phil,br
br
This is the mix test version of the tech loop I linked to in the other thread. I’m hoping you might have a chance ot listen to it and let me know your thoughts, especially on the mix. br
br
After what you said the other day about the struggles I’ve been having with house tracks, eq, and freq separation, etc - I bore that in mind when I was mixing this one. Hopefully it sits better than the other tracks I’ve been struggling with lately.br
br
iframe width=“100%” height=“166” scrolling=“no” frameborder=“no” src=“https://w.soundcloud.com/player/?url=http%3A%2F%2Fapi.soundcloud.com%2Ftracks%2F85792243%3Fsecret_token%3Ds-hODbH”/iframe

Hey Phil, if you have a chance to listen and let me know about the mixdown, eq, etc that’d be wonderful! :Dbr
br
Thanksbr
J

I like the vibe! i feel like the bass is pretty loud and static very little variation. I got little bored after while. Otherwise its seems like a great production.br
:slight_smile:

Really nice track there, has a real pump going to it and I love that in this type of tune! But I think the bass is too much, I feel like it could do with a little less and a boost on the treble.br
br
Other than that good work :cool:

Sounds good… havnt had a full listen on my main speakers yet… will give it a blast over the weekend and get back to you.

Thanks Phil I really appreciate it.br
br
Some of the guys here have given feedback in this thread and in one I’ve put in the Tunes feedback section too. All useful, though not consistent sadly. Still I’ll look at their ideas and see if they improve things. It’s always good to have a second or third or fourth pair of ears listen!

That great, i know im not as experienced as you are but i just “call it as i see it” sometimes its just good to hear what someone else things because you are so used to the sound.:Dbr

The Mix sounds great… lots of separation in the sounds. you can really hear everything and there is great use of reverb to create spatial layers.br
br
not sure about the kick bass combo sounds very heavy… although that might be what you where aiming for… its more “trendy” to have softer kick etc.br
br
the riff that comes in at the end is it in the right key and matched to the bass… sounds to me as if they are 2 different keys.

Thanks Phil. Great feedback as always.br
br
I’ll think about the kick. I do tend to go for lighter kicks normally, was trying something heavier this time though. Might sound better with a softer kick. I’ll give it a go.br
br
I’ve been working hard on sound separation with an Ableton rack tool that a friend of mine gave me to emulate the Waves S1 he has. I might actually buy the S1 now though. Same thing with reverb too. It’s one tip he gave me about making tracks sound more professional - thinking about the space in 3D.br
br
About the riff that sounds out of key. Do you mean the one that comes in at the main breakdown or the one that comes in at about 5:05? I think they’re in key.

Yeah the one at the main breakdown…br
br
could just be a trick of the mid because the bass is so low… but they sound like mismatching key/scalebr
br
if you where aiming for a darker harder edge you have achieved it and it doesn’t sound bad at all… it was just different from the previous stuff you posted. so was just checking it was a conscious choice.br
br

I think you might be right about the bass and the mid bass riff. The bass is a sample and I’d assumed it was in a major key by the way it had been labelled. Might actually be minor. Bugger. I’ll see what I can do to fix it.br
br
You have ears like a bat!br
br
Yeah, I was aiming for a harder sound with this. Just for a change basically. I’d been struggling with looser house styles so thought I’d do something a bit more driving to get my mojo back. :stuck_out_tongue:

have you ableton 9? you could try doing the convert to midi thing with it

Right, tweaked the pitch. Hopefully this is ok. It sounds ok to me but then I don’t have your fine tuned ears.br
br
If this tweak doesn’t sit well I’ll try convert to midi as you suggested.br
br
Thanks so much for taking the time to do this Phil! :smiley:

very welcome

I’ve replaced the older version on soundcloud with the new one now.