No Presets Challenge

An area I lack hugely in music production is sound design…It’s not that I can’t do it, but just that I’m a lazy bastard :stuck_out_tongue: br
br
I’m forcing myself to go a(at least) whole week without any presets in any synths and only using sounds I’ve created from the ground up. br
br
I’ll be posting up some of my progress throughout the week and I’m inviting anyone else who is interested to join me in the challenge :slight_smile:

I make almost all my own presets! :wink:

[quote]phil johnston (03/07/2013)[hr]I make almost all my own presets! ;)[/quote]br
br
Lets hear some Phil I need some inspiration!:smiley:

It’s a fine idea James. I’m in the same boat. Always use presets. Usually tweak them a bit but I’m mostly focusing on getting groove and arrangement right.

[quote]jamesXarnold (03/07/2013)[hr][quote]phil johnston (03/07/2013)[hr]I make almost all my own presets! ;)[/quote]br
br
Lets hear some Phil I need some inspiration!:D[/quote]br
br
Well I Made about 600 or so for ANA so far. ;)br
br
for me preset making is about listening to tunes hearing things i like and trying to figure out how to make them.br
br
Quite a lot recently ive been playing around with this: [url=http://www.audiodamage.com/effects/product.php?pid=AD030]http://www.audiodamage.com/effects/product.php?pid=AD030[/url]br
br
its great price and does a similar job to fab filter saturn and ohm boys ohmicide.br
br
Ive found it especially useful on Percussion… but there are tons of things you can do with it.

Ooooooo Ok Phil I might have to throw down the cash for that it looks sweet! I’ve been doing a lot of messing around with this Maul multi-band distortion on the kick lately trying to find something sweet…br
br
Here’s the one I’m talking about: FXpansion - Home
br
I’m the same way though Jon…but I realized that on most of my favorite songs I’ve made my favorite part usually has happened on accident! I.e something started playing when it wasn’t supposed to or I accidentally had some effect on…So hopefully I’ll “accidentally” make some cool sounds:Pbr
br
A little update on my progress preset wise: I pretty much end up with a driving electro house bass sound…every time…:blink: I’m having fun getting crazy with it though just making sounds throwing on random plug-ins and such trying to make it as wild as possible hoping to end up with something cool!

I spent hours and hours watching videos about subtractive synthesis, sound design etc and my first couple of tracks I made were filled with sounds that I created myself.br
br
Then I came across a couple of videos on YouTube from really famous well know producers and they were all saying the same thing. That they usually use presets, then alter them to get the sound that they want and then MAYBE go back to it later on and tweak some more.br
br
It was soul destroying to hear this at first as I thought they would be creating their own, but then I decided “if you cant beat them” and tbh have had more time to concentrate on arrangements of my tracks etc…br
br
I’m not saying presets are the answer, but I think in order to get some ideas flowing at the start then they are definitely an advantage to have. :Dbr
br
I’ve now started trying to do what Phil suggested in one of his Tech Tips, where you get hold of a track or sound and try and recreate it, working out what kind of waves are used and its definitely giving me more of an insight to how its done. I’m also analyzing the presets to see how they are put together!br
br
I love making music. There’s just so much stuff to keep you occupied and you can go as deep as you want when learning! :w00t:

There are so many way for you to mess up a track that i dont think it matters how you get there. like even if you used pre-made loops, midi files and presets etc. you still have to put together a good idea ,mix it well, arrange it properly with builds and fx and master it.br
br
Im only ever thinking about does this sound awesome… i dont care what stuff im using.br
br

[quote]phil johnston (20/07/2013)[hr]There are so many way for you to mess up a track that i dont think it matters how you get there. like even if you used pre-made loops, midi files and presets etc. you still have to put together a good idea ,mix it well, arrange it properly with builds and fx and master it.br
br
Im only ever thinking about does this sound awesome… i dont care what stuff im using.br
br
[/quote]br
Shouldn’t this be the obvious answer? I totally agree with you Phil, if its sound good go with it.