Onboard or Interface

Do I need an audio interface if I’m not currently recording sounds? Is the onboard soundcard in the new iMacs just as good or are the benefits to overall sound quality when using an audio interface? :satisfied:

[quote]gavisthename (17/05/2011)[hr]Do I need an audio interface if I’m not currently recording sounds? Is the onboard soundcard in the new iMacs just as good or are the benefits to overall sound quality when using an audio interface? :satisfied:[/quote]

The on board mac sound card is only good for general music listening and not good for recording audio.

If you want to record audio you need external audio interface.

External audio interface has better sound quality.

More info here:

[url=http://forums.sonicacademy.com/Topic62556-8-1.aspx]http://forums.sonicacademy.com/Topic62556-8-1.aspx[/url]

I think unless you have a problem then you don’t need to get anything. The Core audio drivers are good. This is long, but very interesting: If you don’t want to watch the whole thing, skip to 41 min mark

<EMBED height=349 type=application/x-shockwave-flash width=560 src=Audio Myths Workshop - YouTube allowfullscreen=“true” allowscriptaccess=“always”>

[quote]gavisthename (17/05/2011)[hr]Do I need an audio interface if I’m not currently recording sounds? Is the onboard soundcard in the new iMacs just as good or are the benefits to overall sound quality when using an audio interface? :satisfied:[/quote]

I think one of the benefits of an external SC is that it takes some of the strain of your CPU, allowing for extra processing for your programs.

Might be negligible depending on the spec of your machine - but suppose it is an advantage. Cant hurt. Just make sure you check for compatibility issues before you buy. Firewire is the best for Mac.

I’m guessing without checking that its better to spend a bit extra on a dedicated SC than using the Mac SC as there will be benefits to Sound quality. It might have better components & lower noise and better clarity. But who knows. I’d say an external one might have better quality components - though I’m certain lots of people use the internal one & have no probs whatsoever.

External SC - with more outs… you’ll be able to do all sorts of monitoring - such as h’phones for mixing with ableton or traktor etc…

Or even switch between different sets of monitors.

Thats not even thinking about the in’s. You can record from vinyl if you want… or have a Mic plugged in to record “found sounds” - or vocal snippets.

You dont have to be recording instruments to get good use of of them.

[quote]TheAnt (17/05/2011)[hr]I think unless you have a problem then you don’t need to get anything. The Core audio drivers are good. This is long, but very interesting: If you don’t want to watch the whole thing, skip to 41 min mark

[/quote]

That’s good enough for me! Saved me a few dollar! :smiley:

ICN I definitely see the benefits of having extra ins and outs … I intend to get a microphone at some point n all!

Thanks for the info guys :slight_smile: