Only bad DJ's get people requesting songs?

Ok this is a topic for people that have Dj’d in your normal clubs on a saturday night…

I was speaking to a guy at the weekend abouy probably one of all DJs biggest annoyances of all time and thats drunk dikheds annoying you constantly to play yhe song that they just HAVE yo hear. They try convince you that even though your dancefloor is full that everyone is complaining and everyone has yo hear the style their askinh for or the song their asking for…

Now this guy reckoned that only ‘bad’ DJs get song requests, and that if your really good everyone will be happy and not bother you. So I was wondrring if you guys agreed with this, ?

I personally totally disagree, I have been to big parties and seen big name DJs get people harrassing them for songs. One big example is Paris Hilton and Steve Angello and that big incident.

I think at the end of the day people dont give a **** and they just wanna get what they ask/pay for, I also dont think its for nothing that in more and more clubs you get numbers where you have to text requests to or notepads whrre you have to write your requests on because tbh DJs sometimes get treated like **** and its really really annoying. How do you deal with it?

I don’t agree at all, i nearly always get a request every time I DJ and that request is: ‘have you got any Rhianna?’. I put that down to the girl who’s asked clearly being a bit thick and have walked into a House club / bar which is and has been clearly playing House ALL night. I explain that no, i do not have Rhianna and it’s a House night, perhaps if they walk down the road they may find a commercial and/or RnB club somewhere else.

Yeah Roben but im talking about DJing at a commercial saturday night club… Its easy to give yout reply if its a house only night…

Well people always ask for requests at commercial clubs anyways, in commercial clubs they’ll always play whats in the Top 10, that’s a given, plus the regular tracks which is popular in that club each and every week. Yet people are a bit thick and still request a track which is obviously going to get played, for example: Rhianna / Lady GaGa / Black Eye Peas etc.

I did commercial scene a few years back for a short while, whilst it was the only time i ever got to play to 1500/2000+ punters it was over all a wnky demoralising job, well paid though.

Playing sh
t tunes, giving sh*t birthday shout outs, no DJ talent needed, needless to say i wasn’t the right guy for the job lol.

ohh last time i was Djing in this club there was this whore who said that she wanted to hear Dance Music. when i was playing House Music . wtf.
some people are just Ignorant that is all .

**** !! i am not a big Super star DJ. but i know there are some people who comes to the club expecting to hear Britney spears remixes . if not ask Pauly D.
heheh

I’m guessing it depends on the style of music too. House for example can site right between commercial, like all those ****ty ‘House & RnB’ nights, and the underground (Tech, prog house yadda yadda).

So thats why I guess it might happen… they’ve gone out for a classier night than the usual bear pit, and ended up at a proper house night.

Something like a DnB night however, it’s not gonna happen, ever.

Firstly, there’ll be little confusion over the musical vibe, there’ll be no townie people ‘upgrading’ their night musically and - most importantly - with something like DnB (or whatever more fringe/progressive style) people will be there specifically to hear music they’ve not heard before, or at the very least be taken on that journey.

[quote]bangthedj (16/06/2011)[hr]I’m guessing it depends on the style of music too. House for example can site right between commercial, like all those ****ty ‘House & RnB’ nights, and the underground (Tech, prog house yadda yadda).

So thats why I guess it might happen… they’ve gone out for a classier night than the usual bear pit, and ended up at a proper house night.

Something like a DnB night however, it’s not gonna happen, ever.

Firstly, there’ll be little confusion over the musical vibe, there’ll be no townie people ‘upgrading’ their night musically and - most importantly - with something like DnB (or whatever more fringe/progressive style) people will be there specifically to hear music they’ve not heard before, or at the very least be taken on that journey.

[/quote]

This

I wonder if this is the right moment to tell of the time when Paul asked Sven Vath to drop Beyonce?

[quote]Roben (16/06/2011)[hr]I wonder if this is the right moment to tell of the time when Paul asked Sven Vath to drop Beyonce?[/quote]

I think you probably know me well enough that I probably would just for a laugh :smiley:

I must admit been too awful commercial nites and asked for some obscure tracks :wink:

My feeling is this, unless your name is on the marquee and playing your own tunes or just have a name for yourself, then you’re nothing more than a puppet for the masses. If you’re not willing to play what they want to hear, then they’ll find someone else who will. This may sound harsh, but honestly if your just spinning other peoples stuff then you’re one step above a jukebox.

I always hated how some DJ’s get all God like when people ask them to play something. It’s what the f**k you’re there for. No one is there for you.

It’s no different than if someone went to see a cover band play. The cover band is there to play the music that people want to hear (like a commercial DJ). Whereas an original band plays their own tunes and maybe incorporates one or two covers to keep interest.

Let the backlash begin:cool:

No, playing Rhianna is NOT what I was there for. I’m booked by the promoter to play what they want me to play, i’d never get booked again if i went and played RnB just to please 1 girl and possibly her friends, the rest of the club or bar would empty however as they are there to listen to House music.

So no i don’t agree at all with the above statement.

[quote]Roben (17/06/2011)[hr]No, playing Rhianna is NOT what I was there for. I’m booked by the promoter to play what they want me to play, i’d never get booked again if i went and played RnB just to please 1 girl and possibly her friends, the rest of the club or bar would empty however as they are there to listen to House music.

[/quote]

Yeah but what if it was a fella Rob

Why do people do Rhianna bootlegs then?

So glad I’m not a DJ…

J

I know, it would be terrible actually having a relationship with the people that are listening to the music. Heavens forbid that they listen to anything other than what you want to play. FFS! :laugh:

[quote]JamieinNC (17/06/2011)[hr]So glad I’m not a DJ…

J[/quote]

Yeah so are we - just think about all those vids on why you mixed one track into the next and endless explanations of the reasons why two melodys work with each other - yawn

:P:P:P:P:P:P:P:P:P:D:D:D:D:D:D:hehe::hehe::hehe::hehe:

LOL - Hypermixing :smiley:

I can very much understand the importance of playing tunes that really move the floor and sell the tickets/cover fees, sell the drinks, keep them coming, you know…

There’s just something about performing your own work that makes such a difference to the listener. Don’t get me wrong, I respect what DJs do because it does take a great amount of work and skill to put a set together. I mean, I practice with traktor on a regular basis messing about with tunes in my library and it does take a certain skill to manage everything, but when I throw some of my own stems into it and start playing around with what traktor has to offer, there’s just a bit more magic that happens for me, especially with a few ciders…

J

[quote]Roben (17/06/2011)[hr]No, playing Rhianna is NOT what I was there for. I’m booked by the promoter to play what they want me to play, i’d never get booked again if i went and played RnB just to please 1 girl and possibly her friends, the rest of the club or bar would empty however as they are there to listen to House music.

[/quote]

The statement is true (based on my opinion :D). Obviously someone who went to a bar that was setup for one style of music and asks for another is a complete moron,  but a kind, “I’m sorry but we do not take requests here” is all that is needed. I have a feeling you are cool like that Roben, so I don’t think this applies to you. If hearing people ask for requests annoys a DJ then maybe he’s in the wrong business and an attitude adjustment is probably needed. I hate when some DJ’s think they are Holier then thou just because they can mash up a few songs and treat people like garbage just because they asked for something they want to hear. By being a DJ you are in the entertainment business and your job is to entertain the masses so they have a good time and come back again. It doesn’t change the fact that you are there for the people, not the other way around.

DJ ≠ Rockstar

Seriously! Where the heck would I begin?

Haha…

:smiley:

[quote]slender (17/06/2011)[hr][quote]JamieinNC (17/06/2011)[hr]So glad I’m not a DJ…

J[/quote]

Yeah so are we - just think about all those vids on why you mixed one track into the next and endless explanations of the reasons why two melodys work with each other - yawn

:P:P:P:P:P:P:P:P:P:D:D:D:D:D:D:hehe::hehe::hehe::hehe:[/quote]