Original Track Vs. Sonic Academy Track? ... Copyright infringement?

Hey guys so I’m not sure if this belongs in this thread, and ill put it in the “Tutorial Requests” thread as well just in case.

Anyways, I was thinking about what tracks of mine I want to put up on the new SoundCloud profile of mine, and going through all my projects, I found some that I had done along with a Sonic Academy tutorial which created a track sounding very close to the Tutor’s Final Track. I did these back when I was really trying to learn about the tech of music producing and around my DAW and figured just copying what they did and seeing what does what would be a good way of learning. I wouldn’t upload these under my name of course, because, well they really ARE NOT MINE. But it got me thinking about the fact that I do have some tracks that to an extent are pretty different than the SA track of whatever tutorial i went off of, but at the same time sounds similar and sometimes just a variation. I was just wondering if anyone here knew what the specific detailed rules are around Sonic Academy’s tracks and what you can and can’t claim as yours… For example, would it be ok or not ok to use, maybe, the same arrangement of different tracks/instruments (drum pattern) within a Sonic Academy song? Ok or not ok to use same arrangement but different sounds? Ok or not ok to use the same samples (including vocals) in a sonic academy track for some one’s own track? Ok or not ok to use the same loops? etc. Anything you can think of that makes up a track…

So basically i’m curious what belongs to Sonic Academy in their tracks whether it be sounds, loops, instrument arrangement, track arrangement, samples, etc., whatever…

This is not because i want to try and get away with calling a Sonic Academy track my own, or calling a similar track my own, which would be stupid to do anyways, but simply because I want to be as loyal and respectful of Sonic Academy’s talent and material as possible because without them i wouldn’t be making anything at all really.

Any Information would help me and I think other newbies as well. :slight_smile:

Also on a side note, if anyone has any information on typical copyright infringement and laws/rules around that within specifically electronic music it would be nice to also hear that because i remember hearing somewhere usually lyrics and vocals are the main themes of lawsuits and such, considering there are a large amount of instrumentals in electronic i was wondering what is usually subject for a lawsuit within this type of music…

With good intentions,

Devin :slight_smile:

If your really worried about you could just note it in the description of the track…

Something like “How to make “blah blah” tut interpretation”… Or even better for SA advertising purposes, in the title!

I am sure, since I assume you plan to release the ones you took inspiration from SA for free on soundcloud, that the SA guys wouldnt mind…

If they do mind they would probably state it in the terms and conditions somewhere (sometimes reading them can be useful… I still never do it lol).

Ya, thanks mate. Good idea. Ya i cant really find any specifics around THEIR tracks in the terms of use page… : /

from a point a view if you are going to sign it or make any money you should be very careful. maybe some other kids might had done the same. at the end you might get a lawsuit or your label will do a lawsuit to someone else.

then it will affect SA for letting you release tutorial tracks lol

. i think you will be fine if you dont release it . if you post it like a free download maybe you should credit to SA just in case .

phil ghost writes all my tracks for me. i pay him in 6 packs of Guinness for all the rights.

If you have just copied the tutorial beat for beat so to speak then you are just kidding yourself.

On the other hand if it works out for you let me know:D

Bottom line - You dont have to share everything on your HD with the world.

Activate the sh!t filter Mate.

Be inspired by… but if its similar, can it & make something that uses the same techniques, but your ideas.

[quote]Mussi81 (24/08/2011)[hr]If you have just copied the tutorial beat for beat so to speak then you are just kidding yourself.[/quote]

this lol

cool, thanks guys!

You can use everything except the musical elements.

The reason for this is if 2 people use the same riff then they both cant sign it to differnt labels.

Thanks Phil. That is very helpful. So basically if i change the writing of all the different different midi tracks i’m good?

Yep.

No different than like a construction kit style sample cd really.

But its still advisable to add as much of your own stuff as possible.