Overdrive/limiter on every track when mixing?

Hi!br
br
I’ve seen some producers use Logic’s Overdrive with 0db drive on individual tracks. e.g. in the amazing Banging Electro House with Gigi Barocco tutorial. I’ve also seen others using a limiter in Ableton at the end of the effects chain on almost every track.br
br
Is the purpose in both of these to cut the peaks? Could you explain this concept a bit further? What is the difference between using overdrive and limiter in this situation. And is it ok to use this method to cut the peaks? Or should we just reduce the gain? Anyway, I would love to learn some theory behind this.br
br
Thanks a lot

Saturation, Limiting, Overdrive… all dull transients and level out the sound a bit.br
br
Stuff like tape saturation work to compress the highs and warm the mids,br
br
Overdive will give you a more aggressive over all sound.br
br
Limiting will soften and level transients.br
br
Sometimes you want a sound to fit in the pocket… kind of just stay really stable in the mix without bits of it poping out. Its related to the Glue effect that some compressors do… especially useful if you are layering a few sounds that you want to sort of combine as one… say a Bass, a mid stab and a lead. stabilizing them with Sat, Limiter etc. will help them fit together.br