Parallel Compression

So I seen a tut on how to do this in Logic recently and am keen to give it a go in ableton. I understand that you can insert a compressor onto your drum group and add it to a chain, and it will have a process and unprocessed feed. I’m not gonna use abletons compressor but guess the same way would work.

But I’m wondering if there is any other way to do this, for example maybe by sending the group to a another audio bus? would this work? how would you control the send?

There’s a video tech tip on it here, have a look in the videos section. :smiley:

theres a few videos on it in the 1st techno tutorial

tutorial 3 to be precise

One tip for you Wayne - use wisely - personally I dont use P.Comp on my subs - just doesn’t sound right to me - but that may be just purely down to my taste

any of you guys ever put modulation on your drums? ie filter freak on hats and/or auto pan’s of of interest?

[quote]slender (16/04/2011)[hr]One tip for you Wayne - use wisely - personally I dont use P.Comp on my subs - just doesn’t sound right to me - but that may be just purely down to my taste[/quote]

Interesting, I love using it on my kicks, bass and drum group. I feel it makes everything sound much fuller.

Your mixes sound great without mind :slight_smile:

maybe it just the kicks and sub I use - just feels it overpowers my mix - I suppose its all up to personal preference tbh

Use it for percussion, but only lightly, sounds sick.

flange is cool on the hats, set lfo to modulation over 4-8 bars… can be cool in the build!

About the P.compression (NYCcompression)… yeah put a compressor on a FX return track, crank it right up, (you can use this compressor’s output fader to mix) then blend it back into the mix by raising up the compressors output fader. This way you are sending to the return track constantly (full send) but your using the compressors output fader to mix the signal in… be careful not to over do it :slight_smile:

Cool :slight_smile:

If you open the extended options for the compresser in logic, there is a D/W parameter; you can quickly setup parallel compression w/o the need of a bus/etc.

This is covered really well in the drums video of the Ravey Breaks tutorial

[quote]lenners (16/04/2011)[hr]flange is cool on the hats, set lfo to modulation over 4-8 bars… can be cool in the build! )[/quote]

hehe … flange :smiley:

[quote]gavisthename (19/04/2011)[hr][quote]lenners (16/04/2011)[hr]flange is cool on the hats, set lfo to modulation over 4-8 bars… can be cool in the build! )[/quote]

hehe … flange :D[/quote]

Lol