Phil/Chris - do you still read this area of the site? Can you please check a contract for me?

Phil/Chris - can you please respond to my multiple ways of trying to reach you?br
br
Can’t seem to get an answer?br
br
David

Hi Dave,br
br
Offering legal advice is a bit out of our remit im afraid.br
br
Also we have both signed very questionable contracts in the past so are probably the worst people to ask. :wink:

Ha good answer!br
br
Okay so what are the common pitfalls to watch out for?br
br
Another member mentioned that Chris advised him he shouldn’t have given away publishing to the label in his contract.br
br
Anything else that springs to mind?br
br
Thanks,br
br
David

Yeah try to keep your publishing if you can, although it can be tricky these days as there really isn’t much money on record sales any more.br
br
What sort of Deal is it? if its 50/50 what is that of? net sales or is that after their marketing and mastering costs.br
br
are there recouperables? are they outlined specifically.br
br
Packaging deductions? (this was an old trick… people took packaging deductions off digital sales if you can believe it)br
br
Is there a term… i.e how long does the contract last? do you ever get your record back… (very rarely that you would)br
br
Really most deals now for digital only deals should be one page and pretty straight forward. Just make sure you are only tied in to 1 or 2 singles… anything beyond that would put me off.br
br
Ultimately the chances of seeing any money beyond a few pints are very slim and really its more about getting on a good label and getting exposure for gigs… its a sad fact but true none the less. br
br
br
br

Awesome thanks Phil, just the kind of answer I was looking for.br
br
Like you say, I think the main thing I’m going to check is that the contract does not commit me beyond the 3 tracks that I’m releasing on the EP, so that I’m free to release on other labels straight away without being restricted in any way going forward.br
br
Cheers pal,br
br
David