Pluck to stab combo...How to

Whats goin on guys! I’d like to get your guys input/tips on a pretty basic sound that I just cannot for the life of me get to sound perfect…Check this song about 3:30br
br
object width=“420” height=“315"param name=“movie” value=”//www.youtube.com/v/ydzQaiPoLDM?version=3amp;hl=en_US"/paramparam name=“allowFullScreen” value=“true”/paramparam name=“allowscriptaccess” value=“always”/paramembed src=“//www.youtube.com/v/ydzQaiPoLDM?version=3amp;hl=en_US” type=“application/x-shockwave-flash” width=“420” height=“315” allowscriptaccess=“always” allowfullscreen=“true”/embed/objectbr
br
The pluck part I can get perfect that’s not a problem but when the cutoff is raised and it becomes more of a stab(if anybody knows the proper term let me know)br
br
Mine just sound thin and weak while compared to this one that sounds nice and full and not harsh at all…br
br
Anybody read anything that just opened their eyes on the subject?? I’m really hoping its not just a lot of surgical eqing…I appreciate any input!

Has he not just added a second part to include the stabs over the top once the cutoff has been opened? Phil’s the man to speak to about this sort of thing :wink:

Ahh so you’re saying hes got a different sound coming in after the plucks cut off has been raised?? Lemme see if I can get a quick clip of what I have to comparebr
br
iframe src=“http://www.hulkshare.com/embed.php?fn=1fvdsqkzvo3c” scrolling=“no” frameborder=“0” width=“100%” height=“160px”/iframebr
br

you can here a the new saw sound being opened up over the top of the pluck in the same pattern

This is two different sounds.br
br
It’s all about layering.br
br
The pluck sounds like 3 different layers - a sawtooth sound, a bell sound like from the Korg M1, and a piano again like from the Korg M1.br
br
The main lead riff sounds like maybe a couple of layers of different detuned sawtooths, perhaps with some piano thrown in for good measure.br
br
Basically if you want to get this kind of sound - layering is the way to go!

Its coming along a little bit…See we’ve been doing plenty of layering but the sound just becomes so overpowering with the layers it becomes hard to work around…I was thinking about trying different sounds for individual notes in the chord and seeing how that would sound. I’m probably just over thinking it! :slight_smile: