Problem with lead

Hi all.

I have noticed that when I add the lead to a tune the other elements of the track, in particular the bass and little sounds hidden in the drums, tend to loose their effect on the track, and become less recognizable. Of course I expect the lead to be predominant but not to completely put in the shade the more delicate elements of the track.

Please help me to understand where I’m making a mistake.

Matt

try EQ , and also use and spectrum Analyzer to make your lead sound sit on your mix.

Thanks for you reply. I am using auto filter to cut the up end from bass and the opposite from the lead. No clue what to do with drums. Are there a specific frequency ranges? Also what should be the ideal shape of the spectrum? (I’m doing all this in ableton)

Watch in a spectrum analyzer what characteristic frequencies are used by the bass and the little hidden sounds in the drums. Duck those frequecies in your lead.

Besides that, leads don’t necessarily need to be heavy on bass, so cut that off as well in order to bring out your bass more dominantly.

[quote]BananaJo (27/04/2011)[hr]Hi all.

I have noticed that when I add the lead to a tune the other elements of the track, in particular the bass and little sounds hidden in the drums, tend to loose their effect on the track, and become less recognizable. Of course I expect the lead to be predominant but not to completely put in the shade the more delicate elements of the track.

Matt[/quote]

Eq and Mixing properly will defo help but sometimes you will find you just have to trade of and prioritise some sounds over others.

If the lead sound is the main focus of the track its ok for it to dominate some of the other sounds.

Its only really us producer nerds that hear tracks split in to their individual parts most punters just hear the vibe, melody and groove.

If you posted a quick audio snipit we could advise better.

[quote]BananaJo (27/04/2011)[hr]Hi all.

Matt[/quote]

try the compressor in ableton. i’ve been learning as much as can about compression and it’s helped a lot. add some attack through the compressor and it might bring some life to those parts you think your losing. be careful though to much compression and you could loose all the effect you have on a certain sound. :wink: