Production Laptop questions

I am thinking about getting a laptop in the next week to run Ableton and various VSTs, so I can go produce in scenic areas outdoors to draw inspiration. I have a few questions which may be a bit subjective but I would like to hear each persons experiences.

1. Is 13 inch macbook pro screen big enough for Ableton?

2. What do you think is the median processor, ram, etc. to run Ableton smoothly (within reason)?

I still haven’t decided if I want to go the PC or Mac route (I currently use a pretty decked out PC).

I just bought a mac book pro 17inch and it runs soooooo smooth!

Although it takes some getting use to if your not at all use to the OS.

I would highly recommend on myself

1. yes

2. no matter what you get, get the most power that you can afford.

I have a macbook (not pro) 13" and ableton can run smoothly on it

the screens is a bit small but you can reduce sidebars depending on what you wanna work on.

plus you can play notes with the keyboard

just a few more weeks and ill have my macbook :smiley:

dont sell out to mac! go pc all the time!

[quote]gofunk (04/10/2010)[hr]dont sell out to mac! go pc all the time![/quote]

Dont listen to him. Do whatever you think will advance you and you feel you will have more fun making music with. If its a PC, then cool. If its with a Mac, then so be it. As long as you have fun.

[quote]howiegroove (04/10/2010)[hr][quote]gofunk (04/10/2010)[hr]dont sell out to mac! go pc all the time![/quote]

Dont listen to him. Do whatever you think will advance you and you feel you will have more fun making music with. If its a PC, then cool. If its with a Mac, then so be it. As long as you have fun.[/quote]

I would have to agree with both of you guys on this… having recently migrated from PC to the Macbook Pro 15inch. the learning curve has been a bit steep just for the sole fact of having to learn not only the OSX OS but how Ableton and Logic work as well.

If I were to do it all over again, I would have been learned the basics on my DAW(s) on an environment that I’m most familiar with (PC) then made the transition to a Mac. But then again, i probably wouldnt be into music production right now if my Macbook didnt come with Logic. I guess it’s a catch 22! haha

But like howie said, as long as youre having fun, pick whatever you can afford. Mac and PCs are just a matter of preference.

[quote]J.HiZ (04/10/2010)[hr][quote]howiegroove (04/10/2010)[hr][quote]gofunk (04/10/2010)[hr]dont sell out to mac! go pc all the time![/quote]

Dont listen to him. Do whatever you think will advance you and you feel you will have more fun making music with. If its a PC, then cool. If its with a Mac, then so be it. As long as you have fun.[/quote]

I would have to agree with both of you guys on this… having recently migrated from PC to the Macbook Pro 15inch. the learning curve has been a bit steep just for the sole fact of having to learn not only the OSX OS but how Ableton and Logic work as well.

If I were to do it all over again, I would have been learned the basics on my DAW(s) on an environment that I’m most familiar with (PC) then made the transition to a Mac. But then again, i probably wouldnt be into music production right now if my Macbook didnt come with Logic. I guess it’s a catch 22! haha

But like howie said, as long as youre having fun, pick whatever you can afford. Mac and PCs are just a matter of preference.[/quote]

Hey dude, if you are having issues with OSX, I read a great blog that has a tips section as well that you can check out and it might help you. Check out www.tuaw.com and see if it helps you out. peace!

I have the latest 13inch macbook pro and got the bottom end model. It runs ableton great with my plugins and I dont have a problem with the screen size.

I find it ideal infact for portability and much more inspiring as I take it more places as its smaller/lighter

In this day and age with all of the various software’s and platforms it is in my option that a malfunctioning understanding of both operating systems would be key for greater flexibility and creativity I.E ----> PC at home in the studio and Mac Book on the road.