Production Thought

I guess u in the right Path :slight_smile:

I always found I’d setout to make a, say, deep house track and it would end up proggy, or trancey.

So what I do now is I start with the bassline. Once I’ve got that sounding how I like, the rest of the track falls around that.

I haven’t ever once made a track that sounded exactly like I envisaged in my head thogugh. They always become something else.

[quote]roben (02/09/2010)[hr]because it to me feels like i’m finaly finding my ‘sound’ :)[/quote]

Happy days then brother - this is what it is all about! :)

I was watching an interview with D. Ramirez and it shed some light on what Im about to say. When I make my melodies, you obviously listen to them over and over and over and many times, it just doesn’t feel good enough. But in the interview he was saying that he was working with someone else and they made a bass and a melody and the other guy was like, thats amazing, keep that. so at the end they had this song and he was like, “I cant put this out. It sounds horrible” It turns out that it was one of his best songs that he ever made…selling wise. I just wanted to throw that in there, but the thing about trance is that the melodies can be kinda tough. You have to know music theory like a motherfunker too. Because you might not realise it, but your progressions might clash because without you knowing it, separate instruments could be playing minor seconds and the weaker instrument could be adding a little bit of dissonance. You might never know either. And it just sounds off. And you have to really pay attention to that stuff. Now with techno and some tech house and some prog, there is less melodical elecments, but you still have to be careful.

Hope that wasnt too off the wall.

Pretty much hit the nail on the head there Howie.

It’s interesting what you said about D Ramirez, it really opens doors into your own productions and thinking… those tunes you’re so quick to throw to one side and don’t bother finishing could actually end up being a hit.

Imagine all the ‘hits’ out there that ‘could have been’, had it not been been pushed to one side because the producer didn’t think it was good enough!

I’m thinking about it Rob… Its called my Hard Drives :wink: :slight_smile:

I definetly do this man. The reason i got into dance music was … Not by choice but everytime i sat down to make a rock track it ended up with a four to the floor and full of synths! So eventually decided it was time to just stick to the club music lol.

I definetly do this man. The reason i got into dance music was … Not by choice but everytime i sat down to make a rock track it ended up with a four to the floor and full of synths! So eventually decided it was time to just stick to the club music lol.

[quote]jpgetty2win (03/09/2010)[hr]I definetly do this man. The reason i got into dance music was … Not by choice but everytime i sat down to make a rock track it ended up with a four to the floor and full of synths! So eventually decided it was time to just stick to the club music lol.[/quote]

Hows that dude? 95% of rock tracks have a kick on the 1 and 3 and snare on 2 and 4 and are much slower then house. Sounds like you didnt know what you were making or didnt know the principals of that genre.

[quote]howiegroove (03/09/2010)[hr][quote]jpgetty2win (03/09/2010)[hr]I definetly do this man. The reason i got into dance music was … Not by choice but everytime i sat down to make a rock track it ended up with a four to the floor and full of synths! So eventually decided it was time to just stick to the club music lol.[/quote]

Hows that dude? 95% of rock tracks have a kick on the 1 and 3 and snare on 2 and 4 and are much slower then house. Sounds like you didnt know what you were making or didnt know the principals of that genre.[/quote]

or as the original post in the thread said that u set out to do one style of music but end up with something else…

they usually started out as rock but they got pushed into something else.

Everybody is different… thats for sure.

The 2 styles I love the most are trance & house so I find most of the tracks i work on are like those 2 genres.

I really feel like mixing stuff together can be a lot of fun. I think the biggest difference is obviously the bpm & drum beats. My trance beats are way different then my house beats.

But in the end, for me atleast… Melodies are really easy to come up with.

I think its coming up with crazy & unique sounds for those melodies that is the hardest thing to do.

The reason I say melodies are easy… is because I play guitar & bass. So for trance I usually pick up my guitar, come up with a riff and then lay it out in midi notes. For electro/house I pick up my bass guitar come up with a riff and lay it out in midi. Plus my brother who I make music with plays piano so a lot of times we just jam out to some chords or songs we wrote… It simply comes down to the fact that I have been playing music for like 10+ years. I’m just trying to get better at applying it to a DAW & coming up with cool arrangements.

From there I have the basis of the track and then picking sounds, adding elements, hooks, automation all that stuff just kinda comes on the fly as I do it. each time we do it we get better at what we are doing and more creative with stuff. lots of fun 2 me.

I think the funniest thing is similar to what howie said about D-Ramirez that… ALOT of times I will come up with something on the guitar, or my brother does on the piano and either 1 of us will be like “thats not dance music”… so we do it anyway and we wind up finding these really crazy ways to make just a few notes or chords become a kick *** groove or lead. it has gotten to the point now where I just play guitar while I am producing to give myself ideas on the “next-step” to take. Keep it next to me always.

In the producer tips on SA 1 of the big ones that I loved was:

“Learn how to play an instrument”…

If you remember that it seems like “inspiration & ideas” just come much easier.

[quote]UnitedVision (03/09/2010)[hr]

“Learn how to play an instrument”…

If you remember that it seems like “inspiration & ideas” just come much easier.

[/quote]

It’s pretty spot on actually, I’m not brilliant at it by all means but i ALWAYS end up jamming on my midi keyboard with a piano qued up when i’m looking for inspiration.