Production Thought

With your productions, do you ever find yourself producing sounds / genres that you never set out to produce nor originally thought you’d be producing?

I seem to find myself producing more and more trancey stuff lately and it’s almost like it’s a dark inner self of me or something, I’m not a trancy guy. I get to go to a trance night about once, maybe twice in a year and that’s when i visit Cream @ Amnesia in Ibiza, and i very very rarely listen to it, so it’s not like i’m at all influenced by it, although I do love it, don’t get me wrong.

Or maybe I wonder whether i’m just having a ‘production period’ where I’m just happening to produce this particular sound at the moment, but later on down the line i’ll revert to some other kinda sound.

I always just make music as I go along really, I don’t one day think “I know, today i’ll produce ‘so n so’ genre/sub genre”, it doesn’t work like that for me, I may start with sample loops, grooves or even something i’ve played into my midi keyboard and build from there.

I find it very odd / fascinating how producing music really does come from within, I guess i fully understand what artists mean when they say their painting just come from that feeling, emotion or thought, it’s so similar to music.

Do any of you guys find yourself having certain sound/style periods or even random stuff you’re producing which isn’t at all like what you listen too or even think/thought you’d produce?

Do you produce music from feelings / thoughts / emotions from within? Or are you more rigid and straight down the line, as in, you know exactly what you want to achieve and produce acordingly?

i dont feel emotion !:angry::smiley:

I started off making Techno… Then Electro (not Electro House)… Then Minimal / Tech House type stuff.

Its taken me a while to realise what I actually like. Theres always been a similar feel to everything that I’ve done… but I’ve been going through a bit of a dry spell recently because I’d really got very bored with the whole Minimal / Tech House Thing.

Big into Techno again… not the 140bpm Kill your family stuff… but the Deep Dark Tech sound thats around now. Its the logical progression. Sonically & production wise, its a lot more impressive.

I never sit down & make something other than my chosen style. That might be narrow minded… but its a case with me that I’m trying to iron out every crease. I’m my own worst critic… and each track is like a lesson.

I make what I feel. What I find, is that my pretty stuff needs work. My harder techier stuff is on point.

Yeah it’s funny how that works.

I just did the same thing the other day.

Started writing an electro song and it quickly turned into a MGMT production similar to kids. The problem is that once the hook was created I didn’t know where to go with it because I don’t listen to that music enough. Love the hook though.

funny enough ya said this, coz im a full on trance person with the harder techy edge aswel. but i find im using a lot a housey percussion hits all the time and sort of giving the track that slower feel, when really i shud be speeding in up!!

but for some reason… i like it!!!

[quote]georgekadar (01/09/2010)[hr]funny enough ya said this, coz im a full on trance person with the harder techy edge aswel. but i find im using a lot a housey percussion hits all the time and sort of giving the track that slower feel, when really i shud be speeding in up!!

but for somereason… i like it!!![/quote]

Can we swap please? :smiley: :smiley:

I just go with whatever I’m feeling and it evolves/mutates from there. I don’t have a set genre in mind, but I do use sounds/elements that I prefer, like trance/techno/dance/club. Sometimes the sounds write the song, but mostly the song writes itself.

I found a sound one day that reminded me of country music so I did a scratch dance mix for fun just to see what it would end up as. I inserted more elements of country music and made a quick master. I sent it specifically to my country friends for their review. However, they didn’t recognize any of it as sounding like country at all, which cracks me up because the parts/sounds they really like in the song, are the country elements themselves. I am going to finish the song later though, because they asked me to, and that’ s a cool thing when people from another genre like your music that they usually dislike.

No disrespect to any trance producers but I think its easy to get a trance sound using most of the synths out there.  You can make decent trance tracks using only presets, chuck in a couple of midi chord files and your away.

I struggled for a while trying to get my tracks sounding ‘not trancey’.  If you don’t have a very definite idea of the sound you are aiming for I guess there is an 80% chance your track will sound trancey if you are using synth-based leads/pads. 

My productions are normally sample based now.   I’ll use synths to layer up basses and for special weird noises only.

[quote]Kieran Mach (01/09/2010)[hr]No disrespect to any trance producers but I think its easy to get a trance soundusing most of the synths out there. You can make decent trance tracks using only presets, chuck in a couple of midi chord files and your away.

I struggled for a while trying to get mytracks sounding ‘not trancey’. If you don’t have a very definite idea of the sound you are aiming for I guess there is an 80% chance your track will sound trancey if you are using synth-based leads/pads.

My productions are normally sample based now.I’ll use synths to layer up basses and for special weird noises only.[/quote]

I disagree with this, sure there are way to get trance sounds, but making trance in my point of view is the hardest, everything else I see seems pretty simple in term of melody and the way the over all track is produced - sure you can write chessy **** trance but getting the more complex stuff is pretty hard and complex work. I’ve been doing it for a few years now (on and off) so I’m in a good position to know.

[quote]gofunk (01/09/2010)[hr][quote]Kieran Mach (01/09/2010)[hr]No disrespect to any trance producers but I think its easy to get a trance soundusing most of the synths out there. You can make decent trance tracks using only presets, chuck in a couple of midi chord files and your away.

I struggled for a while trying to get mytracks sounding ‘not trancey’. If you don’t have a very definite idea of the sound you are aiming for I guess there is an 80% chance your track will sound trancey if you are using synth-based leads/pads.

My productions are normally sample based now.I’ll use synths to layer up basses and for special weird noises only.[/quote]

I disagree with this, sure there are way to get trance sounds, but making trance in my point of view is the hardest, everything else I see seems pretty simple in term of melody and the way the over all track is produced - sure you can write chessy **** trance but getting the more complex stuff is pretty hard and complex work. I’ve been doing it for a few years now (on and off) so I’m in a good position to know.[/quote]

Yeah I agree with Wayne here, sure Synth presets can be trancy sounding, but making trance is very technical and to be quite honest. I really believe it’s easier to make House than Trance, infact i’ve had this discussion with a few producers before and they’ve all agreed.

[quote]roben (01/09/2010)[hr][quote]gofunk (01/09/2010)[hr][quote]Kieran Mach (01/09/2010)[hr]No disrespect to any trance producers but I think its easy to get a trance soundusing most of the synths out there. You can make decent trance tracks using only presets, chuck in a couple of midi chord files and your away.

I disagree with this, sure there are way to get trance sounds, but making trance in my point of view is the hardest, everything else I see seems pretty simple in term of melody and the way the over all track is produced - sure you can write chessy **** trance but getting the more complex stuff is pretty hard and complex work. I’ve been doing it for a few years now (on and off) so I’m in a good position to know.[/quote]

Yeah I agree with Wayne here, sure Synth presets can be trancy sounding, but making trance is very technical and to be quite honest. I really believe it’s easier to make House than Trance, infact i’ve had this discussion with a few producers before and they’ve all agreed.[/quote]

What you’ve just said is such a subjective thing.

If you made drum’n’bass all day every day, you’d find that easy as you’d know the arrangement and how the genre works. Same with any other genre.

I personally at this stage don’t believe that one thing is harder than the other. They’re all hard, it’s not even about that. It’s about finding what sounds good and styling it to your requirements.

here a tip if your trying to get away from thoses trance sounds, I’ve just watched a DVD with patrick la funk in the studio and he is a house producer, I seen him using trance sounds from the nexus but he simply took of the reveb, delays, and changed the attack, decay etc and before you knew if he was cooking with house sounding sounds!

Anyways the tune i’m working on this week only has one synth which is only being used as a Bass and thats Sylenth using a Moog bassline which i’ve edited to sound how I want it.

Everything else is samples, so the theory is only slightly flawed.

[quote]roben (01/09/2010)[hr][quote]gofunk (01/09/2010)[hr][quote]Kieran Mach (01/09/2010)[hr]No disrespect to any trance producers but I think its easy to get a trance soundusing most of the synths out there. You can make decent trance tracks using only presets, chuck in a couple of midi chord files and your away.

Yeah I agree with Wayne here, sure Synth presets can be trancy sounding, but making trance is very technical and to be quite honest. I really believe it’s easier to make House than Trance, infact i’ve had this discussion with a few producers before and they’ve all agreed.[/quote]

i agree aswell. defo a little bit harder to make. i want to make trance, but housey sounds are coming out. that might tell you its a little easier to make. especially in my early stages im struggling a little to make what i want

i always set out to make minimal or techno but it never happens lol

way i see it is it whatever happens along the way if it sounds good go with it you could be disregarding a classic in the making by been the slave to one genre lol

however i do think that the only reason i do this is because i’m just happy getting anything that sounds ok with me been a newb regardless of genre but it does beg the question does aiming to do one genre and one genre only stiffle creativity i have heard in the past of big producers releasing stuff of different genres to there usuall style under different guises…

As I said, no disrespect intended - I never said it was easy to make a good trance track! There is heaps of production knowledge required to make a good track in any genre.

I was out of the production game for a few years and when I started back last year I was tinkering with a few synths and felt everything was sounding ‘trancey’.

I stand by what I said - if you dont have an idea of a particular sound or genre your aiming for and your messing around with synths theres a pretty good chance your gonna come up with something trancey! I think partly because a lot of the trance presets sound awesome (Nexus, Vanguard etc).

[quote]chris17 (01/09/2010)[hr]i always set out to make minimal or techno but it never happens lol

way i see it is it whatever happens along the way if it sounds good go with it you could be disregarding a classic in the making by been the slave to one genre lol

however i do think that the only reason i do this is because i’m just happy getting anything that sounds ok with me been a newb regardless of genre but it does beg the question does aiming to do one genre and one genre only stiffle creativity i have heard in the past of big producers releasing stuff of different genres to there usuall style under different guises…[/quote]

If you’re focusing on one genre, learning goes at a much quicker rate, that’s all. From there you can apply your knowledge of the genre you now know inside out easily to other stuff that you wish to make

It’s the same with guitar, you learn the basics and gradually progress from green day to foo fighters through to jimi hendrix for example. Once you’re at the level, creating becomes a lot easier because you’ve learnt the techniques to do so.

[quote]roben (01/09/2010)[hr]With your productions, do you ever find yourself producing sounds / genres that you never set out to produce nor originally thought you’d be producing?

I seem to find myself producing more and more trancey stuff lately and it’s almost like it’s a dark inner self of me or something, I’m not a trancy guy. I get to go to a trance night about once, maybe twice in a year and that’s when i visit Cream @ Amnesia in Ibiza, and i very very rarely listen to it, so it’s not like i’m at all influenced by it, although I do love it, don’t get me wrong.

Or maybe I wonder whether i’m just having a ‘production period’ where I’m just happening to produce this particular sound at the moment, but later on down the line i’ll revert to some other kinda sound.

I always just make music as I go along really, I don’t one day think “I know, today i’ll produce ‘so n so’ genre/sub genre”, it doesn’t work like that for me, I may start with sample loops, grooves or even something i’ve played into my midi keyboard and build from there.

I find it very odd / fascinating how producing music really does come from within, I guess i fully understand what artists mean when they say their painting just come from that feeling, emotion or thought, it’s so similar to music.

Do any of you guys find yourself having certain sound/style periods or even random stuff you’re producing which isn’t at all like what you listen too or even think/thought you’d produce?

Do you produce music from feelings / thoughts / emotions from within? Or are you more rigid and straight down the line, as in, you know exactly what you want to achieve and produce acordingly?[/quote]

I feel you on that Brother. got the same issues . I do love to Produce Deep House or Tech House but i notice that is easier for me to do Drum and bass or other Generes.

I think that when you dont party out that much often or dont Dj out that much you get to loose that feeling of accepting new Sounds.

for example this Kid came last week in this event where I was Djing and he spun Moombahton or something like that . sounded like House but at 115 bmp.

It was sincerely hard to accept to listen house or dance music at that speed but it was funny to see how he destroyed the Crowd with those silly beats and Bass.

people were going nuts

What i mean with all of that is . that there is new sounds and new EDM out there . and it takes time to accept it . i guess being open minded and learning from other Djs and producers is the best way to keep updated with your Music Productions.

learning those sounds and incorporating to your kind of Music might enhance or even Balance that edgy new style . that everyone is looking for .

that is what i learned lately . that Deep house or Tech house is becoming outdated.

and I have to change or incorporate other Elements in my tracks to make it Unique

I guess that is the key of success dude.

if you feel that your productions are more trance y and you don’t like it . try to take time and listen other Gen ere of Music .

i think that might help you

It’s not that I don’t like it, I love it! I actually feel a really good connection to it, like it is what I’m supposed to be making.

I just find it fascinating, because it to me feels like i’m finaly finding my ‘sound’, my inner self almost.

:slight_smile: