Qualifications

This site is awesome and I really feel like I’ve learned a hell of lot from the tutorials. What would be a major bonus would be to have proof of what I know and learnt so that I could show prospective employers in the music industry, say if I wanted to get into sound engineering or something.

Would be nice to have some industry recognised qualifications from online training. Anybody know of SA plans for this? Failing that, anyone know what online training options there are that provide qualifications? Online is my only option with a full-time job, family and blah blah blah… :wink:

It’s a good idea, I think the only way it could be monitored though in order to get a valid certificate at the end would be that the student would have to complete various ‘units’, which would have to be marked. Then collectivly once all ‘units’ have been completed the student could earn the certificate.

The downside to this is it would mean extra man power / hours, different project videos that cover each requested ‘unit’ (or at least text which said what each ‘unit’ needed to cover).

If sonic did something like this they I think they could warrent charging a bit more for it, just to cover the man hours at least. Plus it helps if it’s a recognised qualification.

I’ve been doing some research this morning on online courses from the article that was in computer music. I looked at “Blankety Blank”, “Blankety Blanky” and “Blannky Blank Blnank” … Blank and Blankety offer certificates for covering modules.

The way that Blankety Blink do it is to keep a log of what videos you have watched in order to issue the certificate, not sure how much evidence this is that you’ve learnt the topic, I mean you could just stream the video and leave the room for a tug if you wanted!

I’m quite interested in the Blankety Blank option, they provide one to one tutoring via msn etc and give you feedback on your production, cater to your chosen genre specifically. Seems like a very tailored, bespoke way of learning. Not sure if they offer a certificate though, I have emailed them and asked. :slight_smile:

Cool, I wrote that article!

Not sure how SA are on discussing other courses etc on their forum, but if you want a ‘qualification’ then something more formal rather than a certificate from somewhere else might be worth considering?

Depends what you want to do in the end, over all I’d say portfolio would speak louder than words when it came to employment in that area.

Well it got my attention … well written dude!

This is a forum for discussing all aspects of learning, the other online courses are more short term options offering 8 week, 12 week courses etc. with a certificate at the end.

I’m pretty sure no-one would stray from SA because it has more longevity as a constant point of resource. :slight_smile:

I don’t see the harm in it, but I do agree, some kind of portfolio helps more. It helped me to get into my college course, I just took along projects I’d made.

I do add in my CV that i’ve studied for over 2 and half years in music production with Sonic Academy, sure there is no qualification or end period, but i’ve learnt much more than i have done in the past at any college or uni, and the skillset is there.

Frozen Bananas go towards Uni credits (american ones, but they are transferable I think). I got a ‘scholarship’ for (ie free) one of their 12 week online courses.

All I had to do was write an essay about something or other. I totally forgot about it till like 6 months later when they said I got a place (I think they use it as a tool to make up numbers lol).

Anyway $1000 worth of course for nada, worth a pop. And the best bananas I ever tasted.

You are right in that you’d always come back to SA as its an ongoing thing, it’s what I like about it the most.

Censored :smiley:

Howie’s doing the Bke course isn’t he? Or have I got that completely wrong?

[quote]Roben (06/11/2010)[hr]Howie’s doing the Berklee course isn’t he? Or have I got that completely wrong?[/quote]

Yes he is - think he mentioned once or twice

guys can you edit your posts, you know the rules about posting the names of competative companies.

[quote]Jon_fisher (06/11/2010)[hr]guys can you edit your posts, you know the rules about posting the names of competative companies.[/quote]

I have Jon for the only reason is because you asked - I find it strange that Howie was able to post many times about the course he is following without asking him too edit

The courses we were discussing are very differnt to the ones on SA as this s a subscrpton site which has been discussed as beng an ongong learnng process. However I respect the rule but too deny something that does not exist does not mean is doesn’t

Hope alls cool

[quote]slender (06/11/2010)[hr][quote]Jon_fisher (06/11/2010)[hr]guys can you edit your posts, you know the rules about posting the names of competative companies.[/quote]

I have Jon for the only reason is because you asked - I find it strange that Howie was able to post many times about the course he is following without asking him too edit

The courses we were discussing are very differnt to the ones on SA as this s a subscrpton site which has been discussed as beng an ongong learnng process. However I respect the rule but too deny something that does not exist does not mean is doesn’t

Hope alls cool[/quote]

I’ve not seen that one if you have a link then i will, i have nothing against anyone talking about these things they are just SA rules obviously some will slip through so if you could please either link or PM me that would be great.

Most other things on the forum Phil has left to my judgement and i have let people talk about things that would have previously been deleted but actually discussing Names of the companies is against the rules.

Okay … rules are rules. Didn’t mean to open such a can of worms! Yikes! :w00t:

Original Post censored, although no longer makes much sense! :slight_smile:

no can of worms dude, i just wouldn’t want to see any one get banned for accidently advertising competative sites.

some of the sites descussed are not a problem with me because they sell something completely different to SA but others sell Video tutorial which is the same product as SA.

[quote]Jon_fisher (07/11/2010)[hr]no can of worms dude, i just wouldn’t want to see any one get banned for accidently advertising competative sites.

some of the sites descussed are not a problem with me because they sell something completely different to SA but others sell Video tutorial which is the same product as SA.[/quote]

Gotcha! :slight_smile:

True, but:

A: They’re sh*t

B: They’re expensive

:smiley:

I dont go to school anymore.

I got expelled for calling people names… :wink:

[quote]howiegroove (07/11/2010)[hr]I dont go to school anymore.

I got expelled for calling people names… ;)[/quote]

lol