Query on Limiters

Hi guys, first off I would like to thank you for the wealth of knowledge you’ve taken the time and patience to make available. A great site, and I’m loving AnA. Thank you all.br
br
Anyway, my question. I’m just coming to the end of completing the deep house walk through. It sounds the way I want it too, but its quiet. When run through PN3 it increases the volume by a little over 6.5db. If I increase the volume that much on the limiter the clipping light comes on, and I’m wondering what exactly is a limiter doing to the higher volume parts? Does it have a similar effect to a compressor where the more it clips the more dynamic range you loose?br
br
thanks guys.br
br
Carl

The limiter meter will tell you by how many decibels it is reducing the loudest parts of your mix.br
br
The more decibels it is reducing, the more you are squashing the whole mix and reducing the dynamic range.br
br
Conventional wisdom says that you don’t want to have more than about 2-4 dB reduction with the limiter on the final master channel of your mix.br
br
This will allow you to increase the overall volume of the track a bit, as it removes the most severe peaks from the track.br
br
But to get tracks REALLY loud sounding - it’s all in the mixing!br
br
If you have a track, where all the various parts are nicely compressed, and the severe peaks are removed from every part in the track BEFORE you master it, this is when you will find that you can get your track much louder after adding a limiter on the master channel.br
br
So concentrate on a really good mix. This is how you get tracks really loud!

And yes, the clipping light should be coming on on the limiter - but exactly how frequently, and by how many decibels it reduces the dynamic range is up to you and subjective - it’s a compromise between ‘loudness’, and losing dynamic range and possibly starting to distort the track.

I think I get it. Time to experiment, thanks :)br