Question About Guitar Rig

Hi All.

I have read a few recommendations about Guitar Rig from a few people.

I posted a thread a while ago about recordings Instruments (guitar) and Phil Johnston recommended guitar rig for recording guitar, bass and other like instruments.

I was looking on the NI guitar rig page and I noticed that it says you can use guitar rig as a fully fledged midi controller. This is something that I really want to do. Does anyone own guitar rig and use it for this feature?

I have a midi controller right now, but I suck at playing piano. Luckily for me my brother plays piano and he and I produce together to that helps. But I am really interested in finding a way to get a guitar to work as a midi controller. I can shred on a bass & guitar because I have been playing for so long. It would be a dream 2 make this happen for my studio. I have a fast track pro but that records everything as an audio file and then I have to use cubase to transpose the audio to midi which seems like a cheap & difficult way to accomplish what I want to do.

I want to be able to plug in the guitar rig, set the inputs in Ableton, add a midi track, insert a sylenth or nexus or whatever VST plugin, pick a preset and start playing the sounds through the computer on my guitar.

My gut feeling tells me that The sounds I can use are strictly through the rig software.

Hoping I am wrong!

The goal is to be able to take a lot of the songs I have written or just jamming stuff and bring it into Ableton so I can play with stuff.

Does anybody know if this is possible? I would hate to drop 400 and not be able to.

Any suggestions, comments or advice is greatly appreciated!

I only really use Guitar rig at the moment as a plug in, it can add some really nice effects or sounds to parts like bass, etc.

Midi wise… still to get around to that haha.

[quote]roben (04/08/2010)[hr]I only really use Guitar rig at the moment as a plug in, it can add some really nice effects or sounds to parts like bass, etc.

Midi wise… still to get around to that haha.[/quote]

Thats cool.

The FX and plugins sound like they are cool…

But in searching for my answer I can’t seem to find a definitive answer anywhere on the nets regarding my real question. It seems like you have to use guitar rig software to get the midi notes and then import that data into ableton or whatever.

really hoping it does work so that I can go buy it tomorrow. haha

[quote]UnitedVision (04/08/2010)[hr][

It seems like you have to use guitar rig software to get the midi notes and then import that data into ableton or whatever.

really hoping it does work so that I can go buy it tomorrow. haha[/quote]

no this is not what guitar rig does at all.the midi controller(KONTROL) is a footpedal

[quote]bobby lupo (04/08/2010)[hr][quote]UnitedVision (04/08/2010)[hr][

It seems like you have to use guitar rig software to get the midi notes and then import that data into ableton or whatever.

really hoping it does work so that I can go buy it tomorrow. haha[/quote]

no this is not what guitar rig does at all.the midi controller(KONTROL) is a footpedal[/quote]

So I setup the rig in ableton, create a midi track, press down on the foot pedal, start playing on the guitar and ableton records the notes as midi?

lmao,how did you arrive to your conclusion from the answer i gave?rig kontrol is only a regular midi controller designed to work and look like footpedal to control the parameters within guitar rig with…um…your foot.once again it does not turn your guitar into a midi controller.

[quote]bobby lupo (04/08/2010)[hr]lmao,how did you arrive to your conclusion from the answer i gave?rig kontrol is only a regular midi controller designed to work and look like footpedal to control the parameters within guitar rig with…um…your foot.once again it does not turn your guitar into a midi controller.[/quote]

LOL. i dunno. i have foot pedals that do all kinds of cool stuff (like most guitarists)…

thanks for spelling it out because that was what I needed!

try googling Guitar to MIDI Converter.

midi guitars are cheap as chips [url]http://www.moogmusic.com/moogguitar/?section=product&product_id=21130[/url]

btw you can probably tell i have nothing constructive to add to this post, i have to do something while the kettle boils.

Hi Guys, Clark from Sonic Academy here, we’ve recently done a tutorial with the new Guitar Rig 4 and Rig Kontrol Pedal. The Rig Kontrol pedal is the part that can be used as a MIDI controller, which can be assigned to controls in Guitar Rig 4 or anything else you want in you DAW. As a few people of mentioned, to do what you want to do, (play synth sounds through a guitar) you will need a MIDI guitar, of which there are a few about.

We are currently awaiting approval from Native Instruments before the Guitar Rig course goes up.

Maybe after that we can do a tutorial on getting crazy synth sounds by playing a MIDI guitar. :slight_smile:

Hope this helps clear the air.

Keep the questions coming if you have any more.

Clark