Question about Mono processing

After extensive reading ive learned that the bass and sometimes the kicks (low frequencies) should be in mono. I understand the concept of mono, but using ableton Im not sure if my output is correctly in mono. If I add a utility set width to zero (mono) after my VST does that make my signal now mono? Moreso, in the vst if I set the number of voices to 1 does that now make it mono? and lastly if both the VST and utility are set to mono is that bad (double mono, if possible) bad?

Thanks for clearing up my confusion.

Personally I just use the utility and that will mono your signal and your right your subs should (traditionally) sit in the middle of your mix

[quote]Itsapandemic (29/08/2010)[hr]After extensive reading ive learned that the bass and sometimes the kicks (low frequencies) should be in mono. I understand the concept of mono, but using ableton Im not sure if my output is correctly in mono. If I add a utility set width to zero (mono) after my VST does that make my signal now mono? [/quote]

Yes

[quote]Itsapandemic (29/08/2010)[hr]Moreso, in the vst if I set the number of voices to 1 does that now make it mono? [/quote]

it means that you can play one note at a time. But in a theoretical sense, it is mono.

[quote]Itsapandemic (29/08/2010)[hr]and lastly if both the VST and utility are set to mono is that bad (double mono, if possible) bad? [/quote]

You better not do that!!! Your processor might fry!!!

No. Its not bad. :wink:

re-opening this dead thread…

So I just started putting songs on Youtube, but I noticed that when its not in HD (in mono) it sounds scratchy and there is noise. But once it goes to HD (stereo) its fine. Ive read this is due to the lower frequencies not in mono. But I assured my lower frequencies are (by the utility @ 0% width). but its at the beginning of my effects chain, its followed by filters, phasers, blah, blah, blah. Should I go back and put the mono utility at the end of the chain? If thats not the cause what do you think its coming from? thanks.

The utility would definitely need to be at the very end of the chain, as adding things after could send it stereo again - like having phase on the filter etc.

The easy way to tell that though will be to look at the small level monitors between each effect. That shows the level as it leaves that processing, so if it is going stereo (the lines have different heights) then you can tell where that is happening.

Short answer, stick the utility last.

whats the deal with mono ?

[quote]bangthedj (03/11/2010)[hr]The utility would definitely need to be at the very end of the chain, as adding things after could send it stereo again - like having phase on the filter etc.

The easy way to tell that though will be to look at the small level monitors between each effect. That shows the level as it leaves that processing, so if it is going stereo (the lines have different heights) then you can tell where that is happening.

Short answer, stick the utility last.[/quote]

That makes a lot of sense, I never thought to look at the levels for movement. Thanks for the advice

[quote]Jon_fisher (03/11/2010)[hr]whats the deal with mono ?[/quote]

the way ive understood it is below a certain frequency (like 160hz or something? I cant remember off hand) the human ear cant decipher between stereo or mono. But having items in stereo in those frequencies opens up the probability for a lot of issues. Of course the pros and people that have worked on this technique probably know what to do in stereo at lower frequencies but its easier to just make it mono since the listen cant hear the difference anyways. This is my interpretation.

I dont think its to do with frequencies below 160 not being able to be interpreted in stereo from what i know the purpose of mono ing your low sounds and sub sounds is that you want those sounds to be slap bang in the centre of your mix. Thats what mono does.

I vaguelly recall hearing something about the low ends and stereo perception too, but don’t know what it was exactly and am not vouching for it as such, just that I do remember hearing something.

Likewise though I heard the conventional wisdom about having your bass sit tight and centre… makes sense enough, but if it sounds good panned hard left go for that too :stuck_out_tongue:

check this out

Ableton Sound Design Tutorial - Splitting Frequencies - YouTube

Lenners

The reason why the low end is usually mono is to do with the cutting of vinyl. If the sub bass is in stereo this can cause the cutting head to break. Not a good thing to say the least! So producers and mastering studios put the bass right down the middle to stop this from happening.

Now though, its unlikely that your tracks will be cut to vinyl. So mono bass isn’t the golden rule it used to be. It can be broken, but only if it sounds good :slight_smile:

[quote]onetwoseven (04/11/2010)[hr]The reason why the low end is usually mono is to do with the cutting of vinyl. If the sub bass is in stereo this can cause the cutting head to break. Not a good thing to say the least! So producers and mastering studios put the bass right down the middle to stop this from happening.

Now though, its unlikely that your tracks will be cut to vinyl. So mono bass isn’t the golden rule it used to be. It can be broken, but only if it sounds good :slight_smile:

[/quote]

True.

It’s also worth noting that because some club systems are set to mono, it’s always worth sticking a mono untility on your master so you can check your track in mono to see if your track still sounds ok.

Obviously take it off again before you send it out though hah. :wink:

Is that needle breaking story actually true? Sounds like a nice tale?

A nice thudding kick sat in the middle just makes sense, and a skewiff bassline weighted on one side would sounds pretty bad I imagine. I met a studio engineer once and he advised treating the frequencies like a fan with the lows at the bottom ‘point’ and the highs spreading out (mainly stuff like hats and sparkly things).

Was the guy from that youtube video linked above as it goes.

[quote]bangthedj (04/11/2010)[hr]Is that needle breaking story actually true? Sounds like a nice tale?

A nice thudding kick sat in the middle just makes sense, and a skewiff bassline weighted on one side would sounds pretty bad I imagine. I met a studio engineer once and he advised treating the frequencies like a fan with the lows at the bottom ‘point’ and the highs spreading out (mainly stuff like hats and sparkly things).

Was the guy from that youtube video linked above as it goes.[/quote]

Its not the needle on the turntable that breaks its when the vinyl is being cut. The cutter can’t handle it and breaks. Its something i’ve heard from a lot of people and I have no reason to disbelieve them.

Yeah I understood the post. Not saying it’s not true either, just smacks of urban legend a bit, I’ll happily be proven wrong.

To me the answer would have been make stronger cutting machines, not change how an art form is made, if that makes sense.

Like getting shorter actors because tall ones don’t fit on the screen.

It’s not the cutter.

It’s the way the groove is cut in the vinyl, if the low end isn’t set to mono it can make the needle bounce out because it’s shaked too much back and forth.

Well you two disagreeing on the core point doesn’t help your cause. :wink:

[quote]Roben (04/11/2010)[hr]It’s not the cutter.

It’s the way the groove is cut in the vinyl, if the low end isn’t set to mono it can make the needle bounce out because it’s shaked too much back and forth.[/quote]

Yeah I’ve heard that too actually. Could be that, I’m no expert when I comes to vinyl.

Anyhow, doesn’t matter to most people nowadays in the digital age so its not that important.

I just wanted people to know that mono bass isn’t that important. Loads of tracks I hear now have stereo bass. The main thing is for your bass to sound good!

Fair enough I don’t really know how records are made, but if you have thick bass on both left and right (but not stereo) then will the needle not still be going back and forth?