Question about the drums (loop included)

okay, i always run into this problem so i decided to ask for some help. here is the loop i’ve made:

http://www.pazsin.com/audio/drum_test.mp3

the entire drum rack has a compressor on it (mix gel, ratio=2, treshold=-22dB). my problems are (and i ask them because i couldn’t find any solution by now):

1. i have a feeling that my bass drum (which is a layered kick, the high is a sample with a HP filter, the low is an operator with LP filter) and my claps, snares, hats are not cohesive. they missing some sort of punch as well (they are HP filtered sounds, and also has parallel compression on them). how do i make a cohesive mix out of these sounds?

2. how should i filter the claps and snares, because if i cut too much of low frequencies (with a single HP filter), they will miss some punchiness, but if i leave those low frequencies, the overall sounding becomes messy? how do you guys treat those sounds? (i think in this case i cut too much low frequencies, maybe that is why the overall sounding is not cohesive…?)

3. at the end of the loop, when the low part of the kick stops, the hihats become more louder, so i think there are some masking going on (i have sidechain added to the hats, with a seperate sidechain track, but it does not help on this phenomenon). how should i tweak the hihats or the low part of the kick, so when the kick stops, all of the other drum sounds remain at the same volume?

4. if you layer a kick, how do you mix together all the sounds? compression? EQ? i always run into the problem that my kick is too hard and punchy, 10-14:1 ratio of compression with a very low (-30-50dB) treshold is a legitim way to soften it?

thank you guys for your help in advance! i think i won’t be the only one to learn from your answers… :cool:

nothings playing man ?

can you reload it?:slight_smile:

cool playing now man !

Of the percussion most is oriented to the right. Might consider some left panning.

Besides paralel compression, do you also have a compressor on the drum bus/group?

I think a wee tat less gain on the hats will give it a better fit in total. In addition, TheGlue might do some wonders as well.

Not sure why you get it louder at the end without the strong kick, but it’s got to do with the compression. You have compressed the hats with a side chain kick that keeps on running? Is your parellel compression channel causing the peak?

your threshold is to high i would maybe just do around -10dB

and a ratio of 4:1

but i would advise trying some parrel compression via a aux

sending all your drums there. with a hard compressor. Then mix the to signals.

as for the sidechain on the hihats what effect are you wanting?

a pumping effect or a natural effect.

You say your drums dont gel, have you tuned them to each other?

hey guys, thanks for the response!

@daniaan:

yes, i compressed seperately the claps and the snares to smoothen them, and i also put a mix gel compression on the top of the overall drum rack. i have tried theglue, it helps :cool:

i turned off parallel compression and it seems to solve the problem (the hats are sidechained to a ghost a track made of a kick sound only which is muted), but without parallel compression it sounds a little bit dull…

@michaellpenman

yes, 4:1 smoothens out the whole drum track a little bit more…

you mean send all of the drum tracks via a aux as one signal, right? because it solved the problem and the drum track doesn’t sound dull as well, so thanks for your advice :cool:

hihat: a little bit of pumping effect, but not too upfront. i adjusted the treshold level of the sidechained compressor so everything is just fine right now.

and thanks again for marking out, because i really didn’t tuned the drums to each other… it helped :cool:

[quote]pazsin (13/10/2011)[hr]hey guys, thanks for the response!

@daniaan:

yes, i compressed seperately the claps and the snares to smoothen them, and i also put a mix gel compression on the top of the overall drum rack. i have tried theglue, it helps :cool:

i turned off parallel compression and it seems to solve the problem (the hats are sidechained to a ghost a track made of a kick sound only which is muted), but without parallel compression it sounds a little bit dull…

@michaellpenman

yes, 4:1 smoothens out the whole drum track a little bit more…

you mean send all of the drum tracks via a aux as one signal, right? because it solved the problem and the drum track doesn’t sound dull as well, so thanks for your advice :cool:

hihat: a little bit of pumping effect, but not too upfront. i adjusted the treshold level of the sidechained compressor so everything is just fine right now.

and thanks again for marking out, because i really didn’t tuned the drums to each other… it helped :cool:

[/quote]

for the sending the signals to a aux google parrel compression or as it is also know new york compression

just put reverb over the whole mix surely? that will gel the blighter together :wink:

I sometimes wave my lighter over the master… Really fuses everything up :slight_smile:

Overall mixdown on the loop could help too

thanks guys!

@michaellpenman: yes, i did new york compression :cool: