Question for Phil, concerns Mark Knight Tutorial

hi there, it may interest more than one person, so I’m asking my question here =)

if you pay attention to the kick at 3:45 of MK’s remix - YouTube you recognize that it sounds like it would have a huge but short impact. the kick sounds so clear and strong. what’s the key to get such a result? how do I have to set up my compressor(s?)?

I don’t think that’s just about mastering, isn’t it?

thanks!

p.s. go go for techno tut ^^

oh yeah you knows it!!!

its really just the dynamics of the track… no special effects.

the bass is being hi-pass filtered out which draws your ears up then drop out everything but the kick and bass and the reverb/delay tail from the white noise.

thanks phil. nice to know how simple manipulations can make such an effect !

[quote]avesta (6/10/2009)[hr]thanks phil. nice to know how simple manipulations can make such an effect ![/quote]

basics…:slight_smile:

Yeah it’s actually quite a common practice, i know Michael Woods was recently talking about this too in his dvd, it’s beautifull how such a simple process can cause maximum effects.

Be a great little Tech Tip actually.

any chance you can extend the Mark knight tutorial phil, really wanted to learn the high bleepy synth that comes in before the track drops back in.

yes that would be really helpul as a techtip and also the bleepy synth !

and arrangement wise would love to get some tipps :slight_smile:

well… didn’t have the vocal or mark knight skills but still managed to come up with something quite similar (hope I’m not wrong) to his track

check it out:

http://www4.zippyshare.com/v/39390138/file.html

and please don’t hold back share your thoughts:)

(forgot to mention has not been mixed or mastered as you might have well noticed)

[quote]roben (6/11/2009)[hr]Yeah it’s actually quite a common practice, i know Michael Woods was recently talking about this too in his dvd, it’s beautifull how such a simple process can cause maximum effects.

Be a great little Tech Tip actually.[/quote]

What is the dvd you’re talking about? Might want to check it out myself.