Really struggling with this chord stab

well i’ve been here for 4.5hrs trying to get even close to this stab sound and i’m failing. what in the world am i doing wrong, i thought it was a few stacked pulse waves put thru a chorus but i’m not getting anywhere close. this started as a ‘lets see if i can do it’ and is ending with 2 beers and a bit of frustration. $10 (yup) to the guy who nails this. have my word

starts at 1:30.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6TJLoNfx7P8

Dude…dont pay someone to do it for you. Do it yourself. Keep turning knobs and try to figure it out. Is it a square or a saw? How does the cutoff sound. Keep trying. But dont pay someone to do it for you. Thats not what music production is all about. You will never learn if others do it for you.

Do you have a paypal account? lol

[quote]alinenunez (18/03/2010)[hr]Do you have a paypal account? lol[/quote]

NOOOOOOOOOO!!! :wink:

Have a word with Jon Fisher - he will have it nailed in seconds LOL!

[quote]howiegroove (18/03/2010)[hr]Dude…dont pay someone to do it for you. Do it yourself. Keep turning knobs and try to figure it out. Is it a square or a saw? How does the cutoff sound. Keep trying. But dont pay someone to do it for you. Thats not what music production is all about. You will never learn if others do it for you.[/quote]

i’ve just extensively tried and i’d like a second set of ears on it. the $$ thing is just a “lets see what you got thing”. if someone actually wants to do it, i’m not opposed to paying for someones time. trust me i’ve gone thru everything i know about synthesis & sound design on this sound and i’m just not getting close.

hey bro do you have a audio clip or youtube video that will show the sort of sound you are after.

hehe just notice that you already have a clip, sorry still asleep :slight_smile:

if i where you i’d try Sine waves, make a tom style sound as the base to work from add some noise, filter modulation and distortion.

you may be right about the pulse, but i would add that as a layer and mix with the distorted tom sound

i know!

[quote]phil johnston (19/03/2010)[hr]i know![/quote]

well spill then hahaha

Tri-Saw?

Could be a conga sample.

or phil will be really cool and upload a sylenth patch for us :slight_smile:

Its and oldskool sample… its one of those ones thats a sample of a sample of sample of and old piano stab.

Think he has it with a filter envelope with a bit of overdrive too… i gave you it clean

Its a minor chord so you could combine it with some minor sylenth stabby saws to modernize it and give it more of a tail… the sample is all about the attack which you can’t do easily with subtractive synths

cool thanks for the info phil, learn something new every day.

i’ll check that sample out later

thanks phill !! :slight_smile:

https://www.yousendit.com/download/THE3aUNDZ2dsMHp2Wmc9PQ

The track has the stab without a kick/snare/hat over it, just clean on its own. So I sampled it for u.

i have the synth part of the sound pretty down in massive the attack is def a different sound, some kind of tonal drum sample. i’m really close and happy with my result, if i get it any close i’ll happily share the knowledge :slight_smile: cheers guys