Recording old vinyls to 320kbps MP3

What’s the best and simpliest way to do this?

Ideally, I want a turntable with usb input for a flash drive very much like this: http://www.decks.co.uk/products/american_audio/TT_Record but this doesn’t record in 320kbps.

Audacity, soundcard, dj mixer and Turntable is the most efficient and cost effective way otherwise you’re looking at doing things like pre-amps etc… and then you are into a whole world of trouble.

Stay away from those Turntables, they are a waste of time and money.

Yeah I use audacity for doing this. DJ Mixer/Soundcard combo. It’s tricky as you have to make sure to not redline at all to avoid any distortion, but you still want decent volume. This is a tough compromise at times.

The thing about vinyl is (in the world of disco), there are soooo many great great records that really haven’t found their way onto CD-s.

Plus, I think vinyl sounds better then digital. It has more warmth to the sound. Make sure that you do a high quality wave file when you record it.

personally i would convert to wavs but that is just my opinion

[quote]Mussi81 (24/08/2010)[hr]personally i would convert to wavs but that is just my opinion[/quote]

this

[quote]Aapie (24/08/2010)[hr]Audacity, soundcard, dj mixer and Turntable[/quote]

This is what I do.

It all depends on the mixer tbh, Allen and Heath would be good for sound quality, but avoid any Pioneer pre 800 mixer as the sound qual stinks. Also avoid these as they stink too.

[url]Kam

Top quality pre amp and turntable/carts is the way to go, if you have the cash, as the general quality of a cheap option wasn’t good enough for me. Tbh I gave up after a while and just looked for them as digital downloads, so many labels now have their back catalogs out as MP3 to purchase now.

It’s a daunting job as well. I’ve got about 4,000 records that I’d love to bring over to the digital world. But finding the time to do so will never happen.

I have Stanton decks that can connect directly to my sound card. No need for the noisy mixer or another pre.

Soundforge is the best app for this. Purely because it allows you to draw out clicks from the waveform, or copy the other channel’s waveform instead. You must be careful when doing this though. Effectively you are making parts of the track mono. If it’s a section with a lot of spatial information, it’ll be noticeable.

There are other good tools that can help clean up noisy vinyl. Waves do some plugs, so do WaveArts and the last one I can think of is RX Izotope.

If you have cubase you can sample it straight to up to it. from your interface.

but remember that you have to buy the decoder first 15.00 US i think cost the decoder . I experimented few records and the Correction plug ins from cubase work wonders.

maybe u could do the same wich whatever DAW you own .