Saffire Pro24 DSP question

Hi Guys,

I know some of you must have a Focusrite Saffire Pro 24 DSP so wanted to pick your brains about an issue I’m having.

Not being much of a singer myself I invited a talented friend of mine to do some vocals on a track I am working on, and was really looking forward to testing out those great focusrite pre-amps I’d heard so much about.

We recorded some stuff in as a test and eagerly listened back to the recordings. Hmm…all recordings had only recorded the left channel, which seemed strange as I assumed that plugging a mic with xlr lead (brand new rode m3 and cable) into input 1 would record a stereo signal??

Is there something wrong with the unit or are the inputs actually mono? Surely not?

I’d heard such great things about this unit and I just dont seem to be getting the best out of it as signal levels also seem pretty low on inputs 3+4 which i’m using for a synth.

Any help on this greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Using only 1 input will give you a mono signal, so no, there’s nothing wrong with the soundcard.

When recording using only one input, make sure you set your input in your daw to one channel as well. Not sure what software you use, but Ableton will default to using input 1 and 2 when you arm a track, and in that case you’ll record only the left part of a stereo signal. If you set it to use only input 1, the result will be a mono recording, which will be heard in both left and right channel when played back. Makes sense?

I also have the Pro DSP 24, but I don’t think the problem is not soundcard related. The Røde M3 is not a stereo mic. so you only get mono from it (unless you have 2). If you are using Ableton I would record from the mono channel that the mic is hooked up to. Normally your vocals should be centered, but it is often a good idea to add stereo enhancing effects such as reverb, delay, vocal doubler.

[quote]rampus (24/09/2011)[hr]Using only 1 input will give you a mono signal, so no, there’s nothing wrong with the soundcard.

When recording using only one input, make sure you set your input in your daw to one channel as well. Not sure what software you use, but Ableton will default to using input 1 and 2 when you arm a track, and in that case you’ll record only the left part of a stereo signal. If you set it to use only input 1, the result will be a mono recording, which will be heard in both left and right channel when played back. Makes sense?[/quote]

• You beat me to it :slight_smile:

That explains a lot…I didn’t actually realise the Rode M3 was a mono mic.

Thanks very much :slight_smile: