Sample or not to sample

I don’t know why, but I always feel bit “cheaty” if I used a loop or sample from a sample CD/other track.

I know it’s a well discussed topic, so not really looking to rake over it again… but watching this video got me thinking about it differently. Why do I beat myself up about using samples so bad.

It’s like part of me wants to be able to say “this is mine, all mine” but at the same time, why hold myself back if there is something that works really well, or if you have done something creative with the sample anyway.

Ok, so I ended up raking over it anyway… my point was though, after watching this I realised using samples is fine surely, it’s what you do with them that counts… if you are using them as creative crutches, not so good… but as another sonic tool all good I say.

Anyway, waffle over here is the vid:

Cool nice to see a return of that video.

The original thread got deleted.

Here’s the addon.

cool vids, liam has used samples on pretty much every record he has produced. dance music’s foundations were bulit on sampling. everybody back in the day used an akai sampler or 4.

i know what you mean, you want to be original as possible, but its what you do with the samples that count i suppose.

must hunt down some samples :smiley:

Great set of vids.

If only it was that easy…

Sorry to drag this post up again but I saw this today:-

[url]Making of "The Prodigy - Smack My Bitch Up" in Ableton by Jim Pavloff - YouTube

Cool :cool:

haha, yea for the longest time I wondered how Liam put a song like that together. :w00t: Aint nothing wrong with some quality samples.

it’s like this, why bother spending time to create something “original” when some ones already done the same Millions of times before. the reason i buy samples is to use them and not to not use them lol.

plus sampling has been such a big part of dance music why stop

Honestly, if a small sample makes your track stand out or that much better, why not use it?

The other option is to record or create something close or similar to what you are considering sampling and use that instead… (just a thought) :wink: