Samples for the beginner

Ok first of well done for who invented this site it really helps in many ways thanks to all the tutors.

Maybe a dumb question due to little information that i have on dance music prodcution but for the beginner who is new.First off when you are choosing samples obviously that they have to sound good together ex… kick snare shaker perc etc… is there a way that helps you choose ??  what i tought was what is you key all the samples? makes sense? or the whole track must be of different keys? that match ex kick 4a snare 5a and so on dont know was just thinking what other producers do? in this matter ? if you build track with all the drums in same key is stupid? for example all c minor. dont know would like to hear opinions of others what they do when they come at the point of choosing samples for drums etc thanks in advance

You are gonna have to be a little better at organizing your question. There was a ton of rambling going on.

You will have to develop an ear and get some experience before you will be able to tell what tones of samples and drums will go together. Thats why I suggest either A) using Abletons Drum Racks presets for 808/909/606, or go and get an Emulation of one of these drum machines. The great thing about them, that they will automatically go together because the tones are going to be similar. Same thing with a whole drummers drum kit. The tone for everything will be similar.

When picking samples, it will be harder to distinguish what sounds will go better together.

[quote]cimetrik http://soundcloud.com/cimetrik (04/03/2010)[hr]Ok first of well done for who invented this site it really helps in many ways thanks to all the tutors.

Maybe a dumb question due to little information that i have on dance music prodcution but for the beginner who is new.First off when you are choosing samples obviously that they have to sound good together ex… kick snare shaker perc etc… is there a way that helps you choose ?? what i tought was what is you key all the samples? makes sense? or the whole track must be of different keys? that match ex kick 4a snare 5a and so on dont know was just thinking what other producers do? in this matter ? if you build track with all the drums in same key is stupid? for example all c minor. dont know would like to hear opinions of others what they do when they come at the point of choosing samples for drums etc thanks in advance[/quote]

yeah sure there is a way to pick samples, kick first everything else follows, each and every element should compliment then next. as for it being in key, yes it possibly does matter but you’ll notice if its way out because of the obvious clash you can hear other than that if it sounds good it probably is good

[quote]howiegroove (04/03/2010)[hr]You are gonna have to be a little better at organizing your question. There was a ton of rambling going on.

You will have to develop an ear and get some experience before you will be able to tell what tones of samples and drums will go together. Thats why I suggest either A) using Abletons Drum Racks presets for 808/909/606, or go and get an Emulation of one of these drum machines. The great thing about them, that they will automatically go together because the tones are going to be similar. Same thing with a whole drummers drum kit. The tone for everything will be similar.

When picking samples, it will be harder to distinguish what sounds will go better together.[/quote]

i think the developing an ear theory is a load of crap, something made up by producers to babel normal people with sh^t.

my honest opinion on the developing an ear is that if you have been listening to music most of your life and enjoying it you’ll already have that ability, you know when a singer is off key and you can tell when two sounds clash.

if you have dj’d then you’ll have a good idea of what goes together well and those that don’t its learning to apply what you already know thats the hard bit

well i have an ear as a matter fact i have 2 :smiley: i meant some thing else like an easier way some dj key the tracks to find easily what fits together like with mixed in key the samples work the same way?

[quote]jon_fisher (04/03/2010)[hr][quote]howiegroove (04/03/2010)[hr]You are gonna have to be a little better at organizing your question. There was a ton of rambling going on.

When picking samples, it will be harder to distinguish what sounds will go better together.[/quote]

i think the developing an ear theory is a load of crap, something made up by producers to babel normal people with sh^t.[/quote]

It makes sense to me…

[quote]jon_fisher (04/03/2010)[hr]my honest opinion on the developing an ear is that if you have been listening to music most of your life and enjoying it you’ll already have that ability, you know when a singer is off key and you can tell when two sounds clash.

if you have dj’d then you’ll have a good idea of what goes together well and those that don’t its learning to apply what you already know thats the hard bit[/quote]

I disagree, because both you and I know of people (that we have talked about) that can not tell the difference between notes and the relationship between them and they have been working with music for a long time. Its something that you just have to get IMO. If everyone had the ability to make music and make things work together (and pick proper samples), then everyone would have a hit song.

[quote]jon_fisher (04/03/2010)[hr][quote]howiegroove (04/03/2010)[hr]You are gonna have to be a little better at organizing your question. There was a ton of rambling going on.

i think the developing an ear theory is a load of crap, something made up by producers to babel normal people with sh^t.[/quote]

Hi jon , broad statement dude :)  , i agree with you on  yeah were all born with the ability to distinguish sound  , but i.m.o we (all of us) need a refresher in sound, to know what were listening out for and how to seperate sounds into different frequencies  i think that may be o.p’s problem ?

also yeah there is a lot of babel from producers lol , but i think you have to start out somewhere to know the spectrum of the top off your head .

@o.p  there are some cool books  with c.ds that can teach you the frequency spectrum and with that kind of ear training you should be able to pick out complimentry samples by listening to them…or you could just make your own :slight_smile:

there is no Rules in Music Making as General Advice , you can make a beat with Drums that could sounds Neato and plane but with combine with more Melodic instrumentation that might have a sentiment and a vibe . you dont have exactly tune your Drum Samples to certain keys . If you know some Music Theory that would help you alot in how to Tune your samples but that  does doesnt aply always . what i usually do is use  a tuner and mess  pitching the tones  or Semitones .as long that makes sense for you . forget all about what people say and do what it sounds good to you .