Sampling with ableton

Hi there,

This may be obvious, but I need some help with the concept of matching the beats to the sample. For example if i were to grab a sample from an disco record, pitched up to 240bpm how do i make ableton understand its say 120bpm so i can add kicks ect… There doesn’t seem to be any videos here, unless i’ve overlooked them? I presume i have to play with the transients, but im just not doing it right! is it a case of meticulously going through the whole song. I feel like ive got some great ideas, but lack the knowledge or ability into putting them into practice…

Furthermore, what are peoples thoughts on sound quality, i guess recording from vinyl would be the best option and wav files. But what bit rates are considered for sound quality? Is 256kbps to low? Would 320bkps be minimum or would this also me to low? Any feedback, would brilliant!

:w00t:

[quote]L_TRAIN (24/06/2011)[hr]Hi there,

This may be obvious, but I need some help with the concept of matching the beats to the sample. For example if i were to grab a sample from an disco record, pitched up to 240bpm how do i make ableton understand its say 120bpm so i can add kicks ect… There doesn’t seem to be any videos here, unless i’ve overlooked them? I presume i have to play with the transients, but im just not doing it right! is it a case of meticulously going through the whole song. I feel like ive got some great ideas, but lack the knowledge or ability into putting them into practice…

Furthermore, what are peoples thoughts on sound quality, i guess recording from vinyl would be the best option and wav files. But what bit rates are considered for sound quality? Is 256kbps to low? Would 320bkps be minimum or would this also me to low? Any feedback, would brilliant!

:w00t:

[/quote]

Whats up man. Welcome to the site.

First thing first… sound quality is extremely important. 320kbps is on point. 256 is too low. You’d like a wav file, but 320kbps is absolutely fine. anything less will sound like muff.

So lemme get this straight… u wanna warp (not pitch, which would change the key of the sample) a sample to 240bpm? Or the sample is already 240… 2 very different things. If it was already at 240 then really its just double the speed of 120, so it might actually hit on the beats if so… just twice as fast.

NORMALLY… 240 crap aside (cause i dunno why u would do that for dance music)… maby somebody else can enlighten me about that 1… but if u were warping for say a 128 electro track then…

dunno what ur setup is, but if u have your MAIN BPM in ableton set to 128…

then you wanna warp all your samples to 128.

Its all about the first transient marker that you see.

ableton shows u this when it loads your samples.

sometimes the transiet is on the 1st beat sometimes it is not. practice makes perfect.

once you get that then move it to 1.1 in ableton. or just right click and do (set 1.1 here)

right click the marker → warp here straight.

the samples should now be set to 128 IF you moved the first beat correctly.

sometimes it is 128.02 and you have to go to the END of the track.

at the end of the track, find the last beat or transient (around the last is OK)

click the transient marker and snap it to the closest grid until it says 128 exactly.

sometimes you have to zoom up pretty good to find the exact point for the transient.

it MUST be exact. or its not gunna sound correct.

i just gave you a tutorial on how to do it correctly.

Firstly, thankyou!
What i meant was that if i changed the tempo to 214 (to be precise, original tempo 150) it would have the same tempo as 4 to the floor at say 120. does that make sense? Now what I would like to do if match up the beats with the numbers at the top. I can see where i need to be but cant match them up!

I have just tried the method you suggested but it didnt seem to work, still not in the right places!
Any other ways around this...:)