Searching for Synthesizer theory books - education

Hi everybody,

I am looking for some study books about synths. I am not particularly interested in books like synthesizer for dummies etc. More the usage and technical aspects around-behind it, explained in great detail.

I am fairly new to synths so yes I am low level, but I really don’t mind if its dry or boring reading material. If it covers all the knowledge levels, fine by me. But as you figured with the above said, I don’t really have a solid clue where to search.

I have looked up some material, but again… No idea, I much rather do it good and ask some help than just buying the books and find out I could have done it in a better way.

The are all quite commercial - consumer books. If somebody has any suggestion on study books…

Becoming a Synthesizer Wizard - Don’t like the title, but hey… The intro reads solid.

Analog Synthesizers

Power Tools for Synthesizer Programming - Only for the tech aspects behind it

I visited Bol.com for the books. So, anybody any good study advice for me?

Ok, thanks for reading guys!

EDIT: Should I place this in support corner or is it fine? It's a tutors question?... I guess

the dance music manual has a good section, to be fair i don’t think that theirs any one book that you’ll get all the answers to your questions in. just find as much material as you can and try to absorb it.

personally i would search down anything to do with subtractive synthesis and start there first, not only is it probably the easiest to learn but its also the most common practiced and widely used types of synthesis.

Well, thank you Jon!

As eager as I am, just bought the book for 35 bucks. Thanks again.

there is this book from 70s about analogue synths, it goes quite in depth with how things work, etc It has catchy tittle: Electronic Music - Systems, Techniques and Controls

You can pick up a second hand copy from amazon at ridiculous price or just google it :wink:

Thanks Sean! I am still searching and checking books out. It will go on the list :smiley:

how to make a noise, i think you can pick it up as a free ebook too

also a quick guide to analogue synthesis is a nice read

I’d say the dance music manual isn’t really all that appropriate for a beginner. It’s topics are rather skimmed and kind of require a somewhat bit of knowledge on synthesis already.

If you’re using ableton, I whole heartedly recommend nick’s tutorials. Start off with analog.

It’ll set you in the right direction for what you’re wanting to know, probably.

The Dance Music Manual is still an excellent book to have in your arsenal.

Never a bad purchase.

[quote]saulable (27/09/2010)[hr]I’d say the dance music manual isn’t really all that appropriate for a beginner. It’s topics are rather skimmed and kind of require a somewhat bit of knowledge on synthesis already.

[/quote]

I disagree with you (well in my case). I received the book yesterday and is fairly easy to read and understand. And it Synth part actually gives me a clearer view with turning and pressing knobs, instead of just doing it simply because Bryce or Phil said so. I starting to understand them also better.

“It’s topics are rather skimmed” You could be right in this, but I can’t judge on that yet!

[quote]If you’re using ableton, I whole heartedly recommend nick’s tutorials. Start off with analog.[/quote]

Who is Nick? Sorry. Do I need to be ashamed for not knowing… (probably).

Thanks!

@ctdf

Thanks to! I downloaded the ebook from How to make noise. But haven’t done anything with it.

EDIT: Put it in one thread.

yah the Dance Music Manuel was a good buy. i read it cover to cover.

DMP Vol4 - Systhsis [url=http://www.dancemusicproduction.com/shop/index.php?_a=viewProd&productId=2]http://www.dancemusicproduction.com/shop/index.php?_a=viewProd&productId=2[/url]

this DVD is pretty good :slight_smile:

if you have purchased any synths or soft synths usually the manuals that come with them are very helpful and can teach you a great deal about them.

Because each synth is different, it would be hard to find a “universal” synth book.

[quote]oz_dj (03/10/2010)[hr]if you have purchased any synths or soft synths usually the manuals that come with them are very helpful and can teach you a great deal about them.

Because each synth is different, it would be hard to find a “universal” synth book.[/quote]

personally i would disagree with that, although they look different and may vary slightly from synth to synth one subtractive synth is the same as another and although reading the manual will help a lot to familiarize with the fictions and options at your disposal, learning in general about subtractive synthesis would give you a much better understanding of what you are working with.

Same goes for FM, Granular, Additive and so on.

Here’s a huge collection of articles from a guy who absolutely knows his stuff.

http://www.soundonsound.com/sos/allsynthsecrets.htm