Second SA Track attempt - Uplifting Trance

OK, I’m trying to get my ears more properly tuned ;)br
This is my second attempt at a track since joining SA and I’m still feeling quite overwhelmed by all the details… but also think (hope) I am making progress.br
br
This piece is pretty much a rough work in progress but would appreciate opinions on whether I’m doing better at the right balance on the low end (kick/bass). Tried to work on better spatial positioning within the mix with this one.br
br
As always, many thanks to any who take the time to listen.br
br
https://soundcloud.com/bittwiddle8241/nomaxspeed-rough-sketch-originalbr
br
NoMaxSpeedbr
br
iframe width=“100%” height=“166” scrolling=“no” frameborder=“no” src=“https://w.soundcloud.com/player/?url=https%3A//api.soundcloud.com/tracks/215784592amp;color=ff5500amp;auto_play=falseamp;hide_related=falseamp;show_comments=trueamp;show_user=trueamp;show_reposts=false”/iframebr

Hey Bittwiddle, great to hear new stuff. Maybe Ill post something soonish :)br
br
This sounds really good. The low end balance is indeed sounding better. This is a great track and I had my head bobbing the whole time. haha. br
br
My first impression of what im hearing in the low end is the bass sounds a little muddy… like its really dark? But Im not hearing much clashing between the kick and the bass, so the kick is loud and clear and sounds really great. This track is sounding really fun so far!

Dammit another tune to get stuck in my head! :Dbr
br
Yeah I agree with what Lokid is saying. There’s something that you’ve either got filtered or using mid-side EQ with to push it out to the side of the mix, but its muddying up the whole of the bottom end.br
br
I think its side-chained as well based on the quieter parts of the track as you can hear it working away on the break and it’s taking the power out of the kick.br
br
Just listened through again and its the part where you got the low pulse going on.

Thank you very much for your comments, they are greatly appreciated, helped me to focus in and really listen to what was happening… br
br
Updated the track with several changes. br
First off, I have multiple synths playing the bass lines (with variations), several of them had a note on the fourth sixteenth of each beat, and had the ADSR release too long, this might have been causing them to muddy up and spill over onto the kick. I’ve removed those notes, and tweaked the voicing on the bass synths. br
br
Also adjusted the acid lines that were extreme L/R to fit a touch better (I hope)br
br
Have to say, I’m loving SonicAcademy so far!br
br
Cheers

I like the vibe in this one, it has got that harmonic minor feel to it.br
br

• Lead is very dry and weak.br
  • Snare is very dry, and the hihats are more midrangey than up in the frequencies. This might be intentional though but they sound more like shakers than hihats.br
    br
    Yeah, bringing out the lead might be the most important part. It is kind of muffled and tamed right now, I like the melody though so it deserves to come out more!br
    br
    I like the arp sounds in the middle, very atmospheric!br
    br
    If you haven’t been producing for long then this is very good sounding! :w00t: Keep going! :)br
    br

BitTwiddle8241,br
br
First off, the song was really catchy and I liked it a lot :)br
br
I also liked how it had enough variation to keep my attention for the entire track. As for bottom end, it didn’t sound muddy, but it could be a bit crisper. One trick I find useful is cutting all of the bass synths frequencies below 40 Hz, then boosting the master track around 65 Hz. This helps to remove the mud and get a strong thump with the kick.br
br
Great job!