Sending demos with or without home mastering

The most recent demo I send out I ran it through mastering… done my best but not to good on the compression front in the mastering chain.

One label mention an issue with kick and missing a bit of punch, and as such asked if I used any mastering plugins… So I’ve sent over another demo without the mastering.

What the normal process here, should we also send with no mastering?

Do all record label put your track through professinal mastering? Even the smaller ones?

Is this something we should ask about before signing any contracts?

[quote]gofunk (07/08/2010)[hr]The most recent demo I send out I ran it through mastering… done my best but not to good on the compression front in the mastering chain.

One label mention an issue with kick and missing a bit of punch, and as such asked if I used any mastering plugins… So I’ve sent over another demo without the mastering.

What the normal process here, should we also send with no mastering?

Do all record label put your track through professinal mastering? Even the smaller ones?

Is this something we should ask about before signing any contracts?

[/quote]

Obviously a mastered version will or should should louder sharper punchier and more dynamic, usually though people that don’t know what they are doing (Myself included) with mastering will make a track loud but kill all its dynamics. if you’ve done this and sent it to a serious label, they’ll have taken a listen to it and thought no way.

The best thing to at this stage if you can’t afford mastering is to get the mix as tight as possible and send it to the label as un-mastered. Most good labels will have a regular mastering company they deal with.

yeh i’d just send it unmastered cos i make a balls of mastering altogether, sure listin to the diference of these two tracks, the re ediiit is unmastered

Dean Kenny - Nyx by DeanKenny

Nyx (Re-Ediit) by DeanKenny