Sidechain Compression

I noticed you guys like to use it a lot. Any reason why? I’ve noticed that when I add it to my tracks, it doesn’t really have that much of an effect; mostly it just makes the part I’m applying the effect to louder. Am I missing something, or perhaps doing it wrong?

Sonds very much like you have just added a compressor and not given it any input to sidechain it.

You’ll know when you’ve got it right as the sound will pump - you can here it best on pad sounds.

Try putting in a simple chord and then sidechain it - you should here the volume of the pad pump intime to the sidechain source usually a kick.

Not sure if your using Ableton or not but check out all the video tutorials they all have sidechain compression in them.

Hope this helps Skooby Dooby Doo

Thanks for the response. I tried to apply it the same way it was done in the Deadmau5 tutorial with the kick, and I do hear the effect, but I guess maybe I’m thinking it’s supposed to do something it doesn’t.

I seem to be having a hard time using the effects to enhance my tracks (IE: doing break downs and build ups). But I am learning a lot here so I’m going to keep at it; I’m sure I will get it soon with practice and messing around.

Happy St. Patrick’s Day all.