Simpler or Sampler

Hi All!

So I have been really trying to get down and dirty using samples lately.

Obviously Ableton users have 2 primary options in Simpler & Sampler.

I notice that in the tutorials that when a sample is primarily used… SA uses simpler.

Maby because it is simpler? :smiley:

However in watching a couple other recent tutorials online, I saw others using sampler.

I have tried both and they seem to do almost the same things. Sampler has more buttons.

I’m just wondering what the big difference between the 2 is. Which do most people use. And does anybody know any cool tips/tricks/advice that might help in deciding when which particular instrument is the best to use?

simpler only supports one sample at a time

i use simpler cause its simpler i got sampler and it confused me so i’ve left it ever since till i know what i’m doing more from a beginners point of view there’s so much to take in i made the classic newb mistake of thinking spending money on ew syth’s etc would make it easier to make tunes lol now i stick to simpler and sylenth and wont be buying anything else till i know how to use them i know sampler is supposed to be a awesome piece of kit but its as much use to me for making tunes as a bowl of cornflakes…

[quote]chris17 (12/08/2010)[hr]i use simpler cause its simpler i got sampler and it confused me so i’ve left it [/quote]

+1

Though I was thinking about tryng it out again as I can think of a few uses for it now

[quote]chris17 (12/08/2010)[hr]i use simpler cause its simpler i got sampler and it confused me so i’ve left it ever since till i know what i’m doing more from a beginners point of view there’s so much to take in i made the classic newb mistake of thinking spending money on ew syth’s etc would make it easier to make tunes lol now i stick to simpler and sylenth and wont be buying anything else till i know how to use them i know sampler is supposed to be a awesome piece of kit but its as much use to me for making tunes as a bowl of cornflakes…[/quote]

I thought sampler just came with Live Suite? I didnt have to buy it. It was in the install.

[quote]jon_fisher (12/08/2010)[hr]simpler only supports one sample at a time[/quote]

you mean I can overlay samples in sampler and then use them in conjunction with each other?

Or is it that I can just map samples to different keys?

Or both?

This has peaked my interest.

[quote]UnitedVision (12/08/2010)[hr][quote]jon_fisher (12/08/2010)[hr]simpler only supports one sample at a time[/quote]

you mean I can overlay samples in sampler and then use them in conjunction with each other?

Or both?

This has peaked my interest.[/quote]

both :slight_smile:

robert henke on ableton sampler part 1

part 2

thought it may be of interest

[quote]UnitedVision (12/08/2010)[hr][quote]chris17 (12/08/2010)[hr]i use simpler cause its simpler i got sampler and it confused me so i’ve left it ever since till i know what i’m doing more from a beginners point of view there’s so much to take in i made the classic newb mistake of thinking spending money on ew syth’s etc would make it easier to make tunes lol now i stick to simpler and sylenth and wont be buying anything else till i know how to use them i know sampler is supposed to be a awesome piece of kit but its as much use to me for making tunes as a bowl of cornflakes…[/quote]

I thought sampler just came with Live Suite? I didnt have to buy it. It was in the install.[/quote]

i just bought the normal version of live8 not the suite version i then bought operater and sampler individuly from the ableton website…

While on the subject of sampler, I’ve toyed with buying it coz of its esx support. Any got anyone views on the way it handles big exs banks? Coz my thinking is if I get that, then I have access to loads of Logics samples. Should I get it?

[quote]egg2 (12/08/2010)[hr][quote]UnitedVision (12/08/2010)[hr][quote]jon_fisher (12/08/2010)[hr]simpler only supports one sample at a time[/quote]

Or both?

This has peaked my interest.[/quote]

both :)[/quote]

bugger you beat me to it