Snares over kicks mixing

HELLO SONIC ACADEMY MEMBERS,

first sorry for my bad english…

im producing tech house music… i got one problem… i always loosing the top end of the kick (this little click of the kick drum) if i dropping snares over the kick… im wondering how other producer have an solid snare and kick drum playing together… i know i can offset the snare a little bit before the kick drum and snare hitting together… but it gives sometimes a bad 2 click thing going on… it sounding like the kick got 2 clicks in the beginning… if i sidechain the snare… the snare loosing the attack… iknow that i also can drop an highpass filter on the snare to make more room for the kick… but it only helps the kick drum for the big bottom… but im only mean the top of the kick… if i turn up the eq between 3,5 hz in the top for more punchy kick it sounding more oldschool…

here is an example like i want to sound…“EINMUSIK”

Einmusik - Altered Beyond Recognition (Official Video) [HQ] - YouTube

the track got an kick drum that sounding verry deep and the kick drum got not the big top end but if the kick and snare playing together you still hear the little top end of the kick but the snare sounding also fat…

what im doing wrong…

please help me…

thx

Are you using velocity on the snare ? try setting the snare vel amount to 75% then pulling down the velocity on the snare to taste !!

[quote]egg2 (30/07/2011)[hr]Are you using velocity on the snare ? try setting the snare vel amount to 75% then pulling down the velocity on the snare to taste !![/quote]

i dont use velocity on the snare… the snare hits only with the bass drum… a basic house drum beat! BASS DRUM THAN BASS DRUM AND SNARE TOGETHER THAN BASS DRUM AND THAN BASS DRUM AND SNARE TOGETHER…

FOR WHAT TO USE VELOCITY??? dont understand… the snare must always be on the same level!

[quote]analog mind (30/07/2011)[hr][quote]egg2 (30/07/2011)[hr]Are you using velocity on the snare ? try setting the snare vel amount to 75% then pulling down the velocity on the snare to taste !![/quote]

i dont use velocity on the snare… the snare hits only with the bass drum… a basic house drum beat! BASS DRUM THAN BASS DRUM AND SNARE TOGETHER THAN BASS DRUM AND THAN BASS DRUM AND SNARE TOGETHER…

FOR WHAT TO USE VELOCITY??? dont understand… the snare must always be on the same level![/quote]???

Thats not true man ! if you aren’t using velocity on your drums how do you expect to get a truly dynamic and professional sound? .

As i said before pull the snare back by using velocity on the volume of the snare !

Thas how its been done on the track you posted … sorry if i wasn’t clear in the 1st post man !!:slight_smile:

Velocity can be translated to volume gain . so yaehh if you are using a straight sample just pull the volume down till it feels right.

if you are using samples remember that most samples are already processed . just might need to put a limiter or a compressor. and level the volume with it.

if you use like a drum machine the Velocity tips apply .

just be sure to compare your tracks to the pros.

you could move the note slightly

turn off snap or grid and zoom way in

and move the midi note of the snare hit slightly behind the note of the kick

so that they still happen at the same time but you will still hear the click of the kick

Try moving the snare a bit off the beat, move it forward or back a tiny bit so its not dead on the beat. Also the click of the kick should sit at around 1-3khz, so boost there and dip it on the snares eq. Tbh these two shouldnt really clash as they occupie different frequency ranges.

[quote]egg2 (30/07/2011)[hr][quote]analog mind (30/07/2011)[hr][quote]egg2 (30/07/2011)[hr]Are you using velocity on the snare ? try setting the snare vel amount to 75% then pulling down the velocity on the snare to taste !![/quote]

FOR WHAT TO USE VELOCITY??? dont understand… the snare must always be on the same level![/quote]???

Thats not true man ! if you aren’t using velocity on your drums how do you expect to get a truly dynamic and professional sound? .

As i said before pull the snare back by using velocity on the volume of the snare !

Thas how its been done on the track you posted … sorry if i wasn’t clear in the 1st post man !!:)[/quote]

it was clear in the 1st post… but i only want to tell you… that velocity can´´t change my problem… velocity on snares you can use more on other style of music like hip hop… velocity is more on highhats, bongos… (percussion) between the bass drum and the snare… that the groove is more humanize and not sound robotic… or if you put claps over the snare… so that the clap sometimes play harder and sometimes smoother… but the snare in house music must always be at the same level when the kick drum and snare playing together… so why put velocity on it… i can adjust it with the volume fader…

i think you dont understand the problem that i got… but its ok…thank you anyway…

peace

i will try to fix it with eq and move it a little bit behind the kick… i never try too move the snare behind the kick… i always move it a little bit forward…

thank you together

nice weekend

peace

[quote]analog mind (30/07/2011)[hr][quote]egg2 (30/07/2011)[hr][quote]analog mind (30/07/2011)[hr][quote]egg2 (30/07/2011)[hr]Are you using velocity on the snare ? try setting the snare vel amount to 75% then pulling down the velocity on the snare to taste !![/quote]

Thas how its been done on the track you posted … sorry if i wasn’t clear in the 1st post man !!:)[/quote]

it was clear in the 1st post… but i only want to tell you… that velocity can´´t change my problem… velocity on snares you can use more on other style of music like hip hop… velocity is more on highhats, bongos… (percussion) between the bass drum and the snare… that the groove is more humanize and not sound robotic… or if you put claps over the snare… so that the clap sometimes play harder and sometimes smoother… but the snare in house music must always be at the same level when the kick drum and snare playing together… so why put velocity on it… i can adjust it with the volume fader…

i think you dont understand the problem that i got… but its ok…thank you anyway…

peace

[/quote]

I understand fully !! Alien as it may be to you man it’s right !

Any ways i’ve had just about enough of complete Fcucking novices boring me with elementary 101 **** ill only give advice i guess when asked for it , good luck with your rigid static 1 dimensional loops …

But thanks for the master class anyway ill make sure that ill buy your 1st ep from the local bargain basement son !

[quote]egg2 (31/07/2011)[hr][quote]analog mind (30/07/2011)[hr][quote]egg2 (30/07/2011)[hr][quote]analog mind (30/07/2011)[hr][quote]egg2 (30/07/2011)[hr]Are you using velocity on the snare ? try setting the snare vel amount to 75% then pulling down the velocity on the snare to taste !![/quote]

peace

[/quote]

Any ways i’ve had just about enough of complete Fcucking novices boring me with elementary 101 **** ill only give advice i guess when asked for it , good luck with your rigid static 1 dimensional loops …

But thanks for the master class anyway ill make sure that ill buy your 1st ep from the local bargain basement son !

[/quote]

I suck lol.

He wasnt talking to you, the use of the word “alien” was used as a metaphor for something you may not understand

[quote]Subject 1 (31/07/2011)[hr]He wasnt talking to you, the use of the word “alien” was used as a metaphor for something you may not understand[/quote]

thanks man. usually people confuse me with Alien . allen,elain,ETC so i thought he was referring to me hehe. sorry all for the misunderstanding.

[quote]egg2 (31/07/2011)[hr][quote]analog mind (30/07/2011)[hr][quote]egg2 (30/07/2011)[hr][quote]analog mind (30/07/2011)[hr][quote]egg2 (30/07/2011)[hr]Are you using velocity on the snare ? try setting the snare vel amount to 75% then pulling down the velocity on the snare to taste !![/quote]

peace

[/quote]

what you talkin about rigid static 1 dimensional loops… nobody using velocity on snares when they hit together with the bass drum… its one volume level and its stay always on the same volume level… only if you playin around the bass drum you can use velocity… you can use velocity on snare too if you produce more 70 disco music or other… like dubstep… but 99% of house music is always on the same level when it hits with the bass drum…

here are some examples of top tracks… the snare drum is always on the same level… and also the bass drum…

- YouTube

- YouTube

and nothing of this examples sounding like 1 dimensional loops… the other other things… like percussion hats etc… got velocity

i only want you tell that velocity cant change my problem… its an mixing problem… what i got…

[/quote]

[quote]Subject 1 (31/07/2011)[hr]He wasnt talking to you, the use of the word “alien” was used as a metaphor for something you may not understand[/quote]

Damn and i just bought beer for the fight

[quote]analog mind (31/07/2011)[hr][quote]egg2 (31/07/2011)[hr][quote]analog mind (30/07/2011)[hr][quote]egg2 (30/07/2011)[hr][quote]analog mind (30/07/2011)[hr][quote]egg2 (30/07/2011)[hr]Are you using velocity on the snare ? try setting the snare vel amount to 75% then pulling down the velocity on the snare to taste !![/quote]

peace

[/quote]

what you talkin about rigid static 1 dimensional loops… nobody using velocity on snares when they hit together with the bass drum… its one volume level and its stay always on the same volume level… only if you playin around the bass drum you can use velocity… you can use velocity on snare too if you produce more 70 disco music or other… like dubstep… but 99% of house music is always on the same level when it hits with the bass drum…

here are some examples of top tracks… the snare drum is always on the same level… and also the bass drum…

- YouTube

- YouTube

and nothing of this examples sounding like 1 dimensional loops… the other other things… like percussion hats etc… got velocity

i only want you tell that velocity cant change my problem… its an mixing problem… what i got…

[/quote][/quote]

Your lost m8 and have no understanding of what you’re talking about !

Im trying to help you out but you aint listening

i do this **** for a living but if you don’t wanna know then thats your probs anyways aint got time for this **** man !! good luck !:slight_smile:

errr o fight then - damn - I’ll hop over to mnml - always a good scrap there :smiley:

Analog you misunderstood what egg2 said, he was talking about using velocities as apposed to volume when layering the kick and the snare both approaches are pretty much the same but both are different techniques but in the end they offer the same results…Im going to give you some tips i use to make the kick and snare gel better…First make sure your kick is in tune with your other musical elements…So make note the root note of your kick and tune the snare a third from the root note of the kick or a 5th or 4th…basically they have to be harmonically relevant. Now when layering your kick i usually put the kick that is going underneath the Snare in a different channel its the same as the first kick but in a different channel and i eq this kick to remove the frequencies where the snare is hitting so we duct them with a narrow band and boost the same frequencies on the snare that we removed in the kick…Now i use velocities to layer “ghost snares” basically i layer snares and use the velocities to control the volume as i don’t want certain layered snares to dominate one another…and yeah that’s practically how i do it

[quote]Subject 1 (01/08/2011)[hr]Analog you misunderstood what egg2 said, he was talking about using velocities as apposed to volume when layering the kick and the snare both approaches are pretty much the same but both are different techniques but in the end they offer the same results…Im going to give you some tips i use to make the kick and snare gel better…First make sure your kick is in tune with your other musical elements…So make note the root note of your kick and tune the snare a third from the root note of the kick or a 5th or 4th…basically they have to be harmonically relevant. Now when layering your kick i usually put the kick that is going underneath the Snare in a different channel its the same as the first kick but in a different channel and i eq this kick to remove the frequencies where the snare is hitting so we duct them with a narrow band and boost the same frequencies on the snare that we removed in the kick…Now i use velocities to layer “ghost snares” basically i layer snares and use the velocities to control the volume as i don’t want certain layered snares to dominate one another…and yeah that’s practically how i do it[/quote]

nice tip

[quote]Subject 1 (01/08/2011)[hr]Analog you misunderstood what egg2 said, he was talking about using velocities as apposed to volume when layering the kick and the snare both approaches are pretty much the same but both are different techniques but in the end they offer the same results…Im going to give you some tips i use to make the kick and snare gel better…First make sure your kick is in tune with your other musical elements…So make note the root note of your kick and tune the snare a third from the root note of the kick or a 5th or 4th…basically they have to be harmonically relevant. Now when layering your kick i usually put the kick that is going underneath the Snare in a different channel its the same as the first kick but in a different channel and i eq this kick to remove the frequencies where the snare is hitting so we duct them with a narrow band and boost the same frequencies on the snare that we removed in the kick…Now i use velocities to layer “ghost snares” basically i layer snares and use the velocities to control the volume as i don’t want certain layered snares to dominate one another…and yeah that’s practically how i do it[/quote]

ok thx i will try it today…

peace