Soft Synths: NI Massive, Sylenth1, or others?

I’ve been interested in producing hard house/electro for awhile now. I love the videos on the site and I’ve been thinking of adding a soft synth to my repertoire.

I’m mainly interested in having that grimey fat wobble sound that is being made popular by the likes of Foamo, Dada Life, The Squatters, Drop the Lime, Felguk, Wolfgang Gartner.

I’m not looking for advice on how to make the actual basslines rather it would be helpful if someone could direct me to the program that would be best to replicate them.

Here are some examples:

@1:45

Foamo - Centavo - YouTube

All synths from

Dada Life - Happy Hands & Happy Feet (Official Video) - YouTube

@1:44 (hoovers?)

Dani L. Mebius & Billy The Klit - Work This Pussy (Dimitri vegas & Like Mike Remix) - YouTube

@1:29

- YouTube

Felguk - Buzz Me (Original Mix) - YouTube

Thanks in advance.

shameless bump

you can achieve these basslines with most modern softsynths but n.i. massive is what these guys are normally using(aside from wolfgang)

[quote]bobby lupo (01/08/2010)[hr]you can achieve these basslines with most modern softsynths but n.i. massive is what these guys are normally using(aside from wolfgang)[/quote]

yep you’re either gonna want a DSI evolver or D.Cam synth squad

[quote]jon_fisher (01/08/2010)[hr][quote]bobby lupo (01/08/2010)[hr]you can achieve these basslines with most modern softsynths but n.i. massive is what these guys are normally using(aside from wolfgang)[/quote]

yep you’re either gonna want a DSI evolver or D.Cam synth squad[/quote]

Or an SH-101

im interested by the synth squad, anybody got it that can vouch for it?

[quote]ctdf (02/08/2010)[hr]im interested by the synth squad, anybody got it that can vouch for it?[/quote]

Me and Jon can. I think Slender can too. Dude…its Amazing!

[quote]ctdf (02/08/2010)[hr]im interested by the synth squad, anybody got it that can vouch for it?[/quote]

yes.

I was either gonna get Sylenth or Dcam and ended up going with dcam and I am extremely happy i did =) even though it will probably take me twice as long to learn all the dcam basics

[quote]gamlow (03/08/2010)[hr][quote]ctdf (02/08/2010)[hr]im interested by the synth squad, anybody got it that can vouch for it?[/quote]

I was either gonna get Sylenth or Dcam and ended up going with dcam and I am extremely happy i did =) even though it will probably take me twice as long to learn all the dcam basics[/quote]

Thats because there are TONS more mod options in DCAM. Just about ANYTHING can be modulated. But thats the beauty. The more options, the more complicated it gets.

Also, I have a super Jedi secret trick that I learned about DCAM. AMAZING!!!

I hadn’t heard of synth squad. I don’t hear a lot of distortion “grimey” noises coming out of on the youtube tutorials. Is it possible to get some dirty electro basslines out of it? I’m leaning towards massive right now because of the amount of the tutorials and the possibilities for “dubstepish.”

(sorry for the noob lingo)

[quote]dpsilva (03/08/2010)[hr]I hadn’t heard of synth squad. I don’t hear a lot of distortion “grimey” noises coming out of on the youtube tutorials. Is it possible to get some dirty electro basslines out of it? I’m leaning towards massive right now because of the amount of the tutorials and the possibilities for “dubstepish.”

(sorry for the noob lingo)[/quote]

Its all good dude. Heres the deal…If you want to make dubstep, go with Massive. Its ESSENTIAL for dubstep. I, however, do not make dubstep. So… I prefer DCAM.

[quote]dpsilva (03/08/2010)[hr]I hadn’t heard of synth squad. I don’t hear a lot of distortion “grimey” noises coming out of on the youtube tutorials. Is it possible to get some dirty electro basslines out of it? I’m leaning towards massive right now because of the amount of the tutorials and the possibilities for “dubstepish.”

(sorry for the noob lingo)[/quote]

I use Strobe from the dcam pack for quick sick basslines and with all the cool modulation ability they get sick quick =) and i mean cypher is good for anything. Not to mention it has visual filter displays so it makes learning what everything is doing that much easier!

I’m not trying to create dubstep per se but I’m hoping to find a soft synth that can modulate heavy basslines. I’m trying to fuse house with those type of basslines. Hopefully trying to find a happy place between Jack Beats and Dada Life. If anyone could confirm that Synth Squad can replicate those basslines I have up in my original post I’d really appreciate it!

your question has been answered multiple times already.all the sound examples you posted are fairly easy to program on any decent va style soft synth,even a crap freeware one like MiniMogueVA.hell 2 of them are defintely using reasons thor so put 2 and 2 together… dcam is more than enough.i wouldnt recommend it for you though,you should grab ni massive,theres plenty of videos showing how to achieve the sort of sounds you want and quite a few commercial and free sound sets aimed at it. being completely new to this,with dcam youll probably fiddle with it for a couple of minutes,give up,never really use it again and go on to forums like kvr and say how much it sucks etc.

Rough. Just wanted to make sure that a $250 purchase wouldn’t go to waste, sorry.

my apologies,im not trying to come off that way,just being honest with you (and slightly jaded) because i dont want you to waste your money.you could up like many others,singing strobes praises on forums(forgetting all about how amazing cypher and amber are and the wonderful sound design capabilities possible using fusor),while really using some other softsynth thats much simpler(like sylenth) on your songs and eventually going somewhere like kvr and passive aggressively hating on it.now for simple,plenty of options, and great sound, for only 85 dollars u-he has a.c.e.,demo it, youll love it.actually its quickly becoming another favorite of mine.make sure you grab the soundsets for it,theres quite a few that have very similar sounds to the ones you posted which should make great starting points for your own twist while at the same time teaching you how to achieve them on your own

ive sent a link to your inbox.