Song structure and transitions

So I’m having some trouble completing a full song. How is the average song structured? Also, how many different instruments should i use? I have drums, bassline, synth, maybe some vocals… is that pretty much all that is used? I’m admittedly totally lost. Please help. I’m trying to create some Crystal Method type songs. Thanks.

I would suggest listening to Crystal Method.

You could always copy the tune into a wave editor and see/listen to where the changes take place.

Also watch the tutorials, some take you through the arrangement process - which will give you an idea even though its kinda differnt to Crystal Method - and having just listened to one of their tracks they seem to stick to the same arrangement as most

i use ableton session view and jam along, till i have loads of different variations, almost too many, then jam out the arrangement, this makes it easy

if not, copy the structure of a crystal method track and see what they have going, best to start off with 16 bars with everything going and work from there

Thanks all for the replys. I’m off to try out your suggestions!! I think they will help.

what kind of speakers do you use?

i had the same problem until i switched to real production speakers instead of those chitty computer ones…

anyway, keep adding / reducing elememts every 8 or 16 bars…

cheers :slight_smile:

What slender says! It’s the easiest way to do it and you can see producers using different Methods.

It also just takes a bit of practice

Alright, I’m gonna jump in here…

All a song is, is a series of 8, or 16 bar loops. Make all your sounds. Make pattern loops. Add sounds into arrangement every 8 or 16 bars (depending on the type of music you make). Make transitions.

I’ve said this in many other threads, but drag your favorite tune into the arrangement view. Hit the loop button and set the loops to every 8 bars. And take note what happens. After you understand what is going on, move up 4 bars so you can take note as to what happens in the transition.

What’s special about the Crystal Methiod btw?

Like Slender and Howie say, no harm in using tracks you like as a guide.

Before now I’ve even sketched/mapped a track out on a pad making a note of when things come in, come out, break down, and transitions etc to use as a rough guide.

Once you’ve dont this two or three times you can start adding your own touch, as after all, there is no fixed template as long as you’re keeping in 4/8/16 bar segments etc.

I’d suggest listening to some of your favourite tunes, pick one and completely analyse it on graph paper, pick out breakdowns, where new elements are added, where they are taken away, then listen for fills those little bits of spice that indicate the end of a 4 or 8 bar section. Then listen for the type of automation being used, it’s often what separates a good track from a great one. If you do this once or twice, you’ll get an idea of how tracks are built up. At the end of the day it’s about practice. If you have a go and put together your best effort then post it on here, most the regulars are really helpful with suggestions and comments. If you post on soundcloud, people can comment on specific sections.

However if you want a hardcopy kind of guide, Sample Magic did a book, (The Secrets Of House Music Production). I had a quick nose through my mates copy and it has a whole section on arrangements for most styles of house (assuming it’s house you’re looking to produce).

Hope that’s helpful fella.

[quote]rickgut2004 (20/04/2010)[hr]So I’m having some trouble completing a full song. How is the average song structured? Also, how many different instruments should i use? I have drums, bassline, synth, maybe some vocals… is that pretty much all that is used? I’madmittedly totally lost. Please help. I’m trying to create some Crystal Method type songs. Thanks.[/quote]

If you are lost Man, this might help you break it right down…

[url]http://forums.sonicacademy.com/Topic13247-13-1.aspx[/url]

Best of luck :slight_smile:

Just pick apart songs you like.