Sonic Academy

I realised today that the last new video I watched here was the Alex Tepper one. No doubt that I’d pick up some useful nuggets in the more recent ones, but there really has been little to excite me in the recent content.br
br
Perhaps I’m dreaming but it appears that a concerted effort has been made in recent times to focus more on today’s popular, radio-friendly styles, with the more underground stuff being pretty much ‘put to bed’. br
br
I’m certainly not criticising this policy (if it does indeed exist), and I’d probably adopt the same approach if it were my business. Dubstep, ‘EDM’, Popstep, Jumpstep, Complextro - the list goes on (and I’ve possibly made some of those up) are very popular and thus good for business, but as an old man of 30 that was getting lost in music starting in the early 90’s, I’m disheartened that these horrible, soulless genres are replacing what I know, and love, as real house music.br
br
We’ve had a few ‘teasers’ recently like the Charlie May and Jim Rivers videos, and as great as these were, neither offered a comprehensive look at building a track from conception to completion.br
br
These are obviously just my observations - overall it’s a great site with plenty of historic content that is of use, but I’d like to see you up your game a little and give a little to those who were around when dance music first came to prominence.

We haven’t been consciously favoring more commercial styles. i think its just the underground scene has stagnated a bit. there dosnt seem to be as much movement in those genres at the minute compared to the overground stuff which is moving rapidly.br
br
I also think the quality of the overground stuff seems to have really moved up a gear in the last year.br
br
there is a new Jim Rivers one that should be out soon… ill have a check and see what other stuff is on the cards.br
br
are there any stand out tracks you have heard where youve been like “wow that is totally new id love to know how to do that”?

a new Jim Rivers tutorial sounds fantastic, thanks.br
br
I would tend to agree that popular music has improved in recent times, but only in terms of the way its made technically, the soul and spirit of music which got me interested in the scene in the first place is non existent in these current sub genre fads.br
br
perhaps if the underground scene has, in your view, stagnated, it should be seen as an opportunity to help teach us novices how to create a new batch of music to carry the underground scene forward, rather than avoid it altogether.br
br
there are loads of artists I take inspiration from, satoshi fumi, deetron, Carl Craig, guy j, Henry saiz, Charlie may, Jim rivers etc. br
br
to my ears these people are making amazing, fresh, underground melodic house and techno with feeling and soul. your previous videos in these sorts of genres have been useful but could do with freshening up now.br
br
thanks for your reply, Phil.

Can not agree more. I would like to see an Eric Prydz, but mostly his Pryda moniker style techy prog house too. It is always nice to see other people’s workflow and techniques.

Well, here’s some stuff that’s moving me right nowbr
br
iframe width=“560” height=“315” src=“//www.youtube.com/embed/JebF8ip3ZB4” frameborder=“0” allowfullscreen/iframebr
br
iframe width=“420” height=“315” src=“//www.youtube.com/embed/3oGEKpcB17Q” frameborder=“0” allowfullscreen/iframebr
br
iframe width=“420” height=“315” src=“//www.youtube.com/embed/XQdLjaBdUuk” frameborder=“0” allowfullscreen/iframebr
br
iframe width=“560” height=“315” src=“//www.youtube.com/embed/Q0hQNre15NU” frameborder=“0” allowfullscreen/iframebr
This last one does feature our artwork :wink:

That TubeBerger track is sick.

yeah, it’s sweet. the other track on the EP, In My Dip, is beautiful too.

i have been listening to that tube burgner track for a while, i really like.br
br
personally, my biggest issue with most EDM is the lack of musicality. I have been a musician for a long time and that is really what i listen for. I have a fondness for those artists who came into EDM as musicians, e.g. Gigi Borroco, Infected Mushroom, etc.br
br
-rbr

http://youtu.be/YMI7gNKslYUbr
br
http://youtu.be/BJKQvwC1BvUbr
br
Something like this would be sick yo

I cant really give many faults to SA for their content as I think it’s been pretty varied and useful. I can understand what Phil said about the underground scenes stagnating a bit and the only major point of criticism I have for SA is the complete lack of harder dance music content and no dubstep does not count. I’m talking Hardstyle/Hardcore etc and this isn’t a style that’s stagnating. Here in Holland Hardstyle events like Defqon 1/Decibel etc sell out a lot faster than an Afrojack/Hardwell gig. Why is there such a lack of this content? Is it just something you guys haven’t got enough knowledge/experience with? That’s fine if that’s th case but please let us know lol.