Starting a song from scratch

I have been working on starting a song from scratch for quite some time…and after watching all the tutorials, youtube, etc etc etc…I feel like I am over complicating it in my head and making myself even more frustrated…any tips?

Obviously these guys have been doing it forever, but I hear Afrojack say alot, “Hey I made this song last night”…or “I made this song in the car/flight over here”

WHAT AM I DOING WRONG!!! SO FED UP!

[quote][b]

WHAT AM I DOING WRONG!!! SO FED UP![/quote]

For a start compairing yourself to Afrojack,

Relax, start small, Even Afrojack was in your position at some stage.

Id recomend forget about trying to sit down and make a full track,

Decide to make a loop to begin with.

Really think about what kind of loop you want to make and go for it,

Once you have a nice loop (drums, bass, lead whatever) think of a track that your loop reminds you of,

Load this track into your DAW and use it as a guide track to start turning your loop into a full track

Apoligies if this makes no sense, trying to type on a crap phone and watch the match at the same time :slight_smile:

It’s not easy making tracks for everyone. And especially making them within a day.

There are lots of pro’s out there that don’t finish a track in a day. At least not constantly.

Besides that, most producers out there have a lot more experience then you have. They have put way more hours in production then you. So for them working out an idea is much faster.

In addition, sometimes templates might speed up things. But I don’t think that will make a difference for you. Cause it might save you an hour. But when you take weeks to finish something, you hardly notice it :wink:

Just stick in there and you’ll get faster by the day

Ok, try this

Get a free loop. Preferably not a drum loop. Make it a bassline loop, or a lead loop or perhaps just the topline (hats and perc elements) drum loop if you have to.

There’s loads of free samples on Loopmasters site. Small sets of loops from their sample packs.

Build a four bar loop of your own using that free loop as your base. Add the drums, lead, whatever. Just focus on that one 4 bar loop. Getting a good groove going with it that fits in with the free loop that’s the foundation.

Throw it away and start again with another different free loop.

Rinse and repeat until the process becomes comfortable and you’re not reaching so hard to make a grooving loop of your own from these elements.

Practice, practice, practice. It’s the only way I’m afraid. And, trust me, it DOES get easier over time.

This helped me a lot. In fact, it’s often how I create tracks now. Sometimes I keep the sample library loop (that I’ve bought) in the track. Sometimes it gets thrown away and replaced with something of my own. But it does help get the track up and running.

[quote]daniaan (09/03/2012)[hr]

There are lots of pro’s out there that don’t finish a track in a day. At least not constantly.

Besides that, most producers out there have a lot more experience then you have. They have put way more hours in production then you. So for them working out an idea is much faster.

Just stick in there and you’ll get faster by the day[/quote]

W&W said they finish some tracks in a week and some tracks take as long as 6 months to finish :wink:

You just got to keep plugging away. It might take you a couple years before you make tracks that you like or that are good enough.

My advice would be to make tracks from start to finish as an exercise. Yes they will be **** but each time you do it they will get better