Step Sequencer for Logic?

Yeh no worries

heres a link to a set up dont watch the melody i jus done it as a indication :slight_smile:

[url]http://www.sendspace.com/file/rqt4fu[/url]

[quote]ICN (26/08/2010)[hr]Just one thing…

Can you record the Midi coming out of it?

or can you drag & drop / copy & paste the patterns?[/quote]

Yeah you can record the midi coming out… you insert a sequencer input along with the physical input and then record the thesys track and theres your midi.

[quote]vibes (26/08/2010)[hr][quote]ICN (26/08/2010)[hr]Just one thing…

Yeah you can record the midi coming out… you insert a sequencer input along with the physical input and then record the thesys track and theres your midi.[/quote]

Thanks for all your help and patience with this vibes. I’m having real problems with this, though - can you help?

1. Where exactly do you put the sequencer input in the environment?
  2. How do you get Thesys to play in time with the rest of the track? In the instruction manual it reads: ‘In order to fix the timing issues brought in by the IAC Driver, you should move the track to the right position (or use Track-Delay) and quantize the MIDI notes,’ which I just don’t understand. Can you help? :unsure:

@Wickedged - Thats code for - Smash your 'Puter & Kill everyone! :hehe:

[quote]wickedged (26/08/2010)[hr][quote]vibes (26/08/2010)[hr][quote]ICN (26/08/2010)[hr]Just one thing…

Yeah you can record the midi coming out… you insert a sequencer input along with the physical input and then record the thesys track and theres your midi.[/quote]

Thanks for all your help and patience with this vibes. I’m having real problems with this, though - can you help?

1. Where exactly do you put the sequencer input in the environment?
  2. How do you get Thesys to play in time with the rest of the track? In the instruction manual it reads: ‘In order to fix the timing issues brought in by the IAC Driver, you should move the track to the right position (or use Track-Delay) and quantize the MIDI notes,’ which I just don’t understand. Can you help? :unsure:[/quote]

No worries

3. create two software instruments. Places thesys on one and an es2 on the other. hit cmd8 and an environment window will open up. now select the mixer page (should be default page though. you will see 5 channel strips and the master out. at the top of the page go to the “new” drop down menu and select physical input (lets get you running first and then we will do the record midi bit). drag the physical input out the way in the environment so you can see whats going on. in the physical input there should be bus 1 sum. now if you click on the arrow next to this and drag away a virtual cable will appear. Now plug this cable into the connection of the channel strip where the ES2 is. Right thats your connection made.

Next go back to your arrange page and open up the thesys. click on the sugarbytes icon. now click on the host button and select IAC driver bus 1. just click off the thesys and that window will now close.

now press play on thesys and you should hear the ES2.

Trouble shooting if you dont…

4. make sure the velocitys are up… by default they are set to 0.
  5. make sure the internal synth is off
  6. check your audio midi utility (go applications/utilities/audio midi setup. select the midi tab. choose IAC driver ensure device on line box is checked. this is what you drag the plug from in the environment.

Timing issues… the best way round this is to just record the midi and then drop it on to your ES2 there is no need for thesys or you can use the thesys track to write another part… we will go through this once your getting some sounds mate

hope that makes sense:hehe:

You’re a star! I’ve got the sounds coming out loud and clear!

OK - ready for the next bit - how do you record the MIDI coming out of Thesys?

Got it! I’ve just managed to record the MIDI coming out of Thesys! Nice one! So is there no way to get Thesys to play at the same tempo as the rest of the track? - The recorded MIDI clip is all out of whack?

[quote]wickedged (26/08/2010)[hr]Got it! I’ve just managed to record the MIDI coming out of Thesys! Nice one! So is there no way to get Thesys to play at the same tempo as the rest of the track? - The recorded MIDI clip is all out of whack?[/quote]

it will lock to logic, but it depends on the note length you have selected in thesys. i usual just play in 8ths or 16ths and it locks perfect…

glad you got it going.

just read your post again… you can compensate for the timing issues in the inspector below the quantize settings. I usually just drag the midi notes back into sync or quantize sometimes works… its not ideal i know but im glad i can get some decent melodies down

Nice one - cheers vibes. I think I’ve got it up and running (at least as best as it appears to work in Logic). Its a real shame the timing can’t be sorted but hey, that’s life. I’ve put in a cable switcher into the environment to allow for quick switching between playback and record mode on Thesys, which seems to speed things up a little. I think I might invest in Thesys though, seems a very nice little plugin to use!

Have you had a go on Consequence yet? It seems a bit weird on first impressions…

Na havent tried consequence yet, may do when i get a bit of free time to figure it out.

It would be nice if thesys came with a midi export function, it would make life so much easier. Maybe the sugarbytes team will consider it in a future update.

Glad you got it sorted in the end all the best

And you vibes - I really appreciate all the time you took to help us out. :D:D:D

Just another option to consider…!!!

Camel Space could reasonably be classed as a step sequencer, albeit has a load of effects attached to it