Step Sequencer for Logic?

Is there a step sequencer that works as a MIDI plugin for Logic? I know Ultrabeat has a step sequencer built into it, but I’m really looking for something that lets you build musical sequences with different instruments. Can Ultrabeat do this itself?

I’ve downloaded the demo of Thesys (something I’ve been thinking of getting for a while anyway) but it doesn’t appear as an insert on an instrument track (only as an instrument in its own right). Is all this because of the AU format limitation of not being able to send out MIDI data? If so, I’d say this was a huge limitation of Logic. Hope I’m wrong!

Anyone? Or is this a dumb question?

You’ve got it all.

UB cant do it and yes, all the other plugs - the reason they dont work is the AU thing.

I’ve hunted high & Low for one Mate… And there are none that go in as an insert.

There were a few back when Mac’s were non Intel, but the code changed & the Guys never updated them.

I know, cos I actually contacted 2 or 3 of them about it. Basically they were freeware / hobbies and they were not willing to take on the extra work.

There was one thing that I found for the Environment in Logic, called the Ultimate Step Sequencer… but it didnt seem all that instant to me… but I’ve been doing a bit of stuff in the Environment recently & its not as daunting anymore, so I’ll get it going tomorrow & upload it for you. I’d love to actually try it out again.

I had to get someone with Logic 7.4 or something to open it & save it to L8 for me… so dont waste your time trying to load it. Are you on L8 or 9?

[url]http://www.swiftkick.com/[/url]

Its in the Swiftkick Collection. USS - Ultimate Step Sequencer.

I’ve attached the .pdf for ya.

Here’s something boring from SOS as well.

[url]SOS Past Articles now online (back to January 1994)

Dont bother with Consequence or Thysys or whatever its called from Sugarbytes. It doesnt work with Logic. Pity… I’d pay €100 for a Reason Matrix Type Step Sequencer that could be used on an Insert.

Nice one - you’re a star. I’ll give up on the search then as I’m running Ableton as well which is pretty much brimming over with step sequencers since Max for Live appeared. I thought it might be nice to do a bit of twiddling on Logic as well!

I’d be interested in the environment thing though. Ive just returned to Logic 8 after buying a cheap copy on eBay, so I’m still finding my feet a little. I’d appreciate any help you could offer!

Cool Man.

I’m still using a Torch in the Environment at the moment. Havent located the switch yet… LOL

I’ll see if I can hook it up in L9 tomorrow (maybe after lunch) & I’ll stick it here for you.

If theres any probs, I;m sure google will come up trumps for us! :smiley:

The features in the .pdf look cool, did you check it out?

Found the original link from yerman who converted it for me:

[url]http://www.megaupload.com/?d=FXKZPJKA[/url]

Just cant find my file… its on a back-up disk somewhere. Try it yorself in the meantime if you like…

I’m DL’n it. I have to have a mess around with it again.

Its a L8 project - so you’ll be fine with that for sure.

Jeesus Christ.

Remember now why I left it alone.

Its really cool… Looks Very Powerful!!

Looks like you can control the parameters with the Automap Speed Dial with is class. Its also got swing & Randomise. Gotta get this working.

but I’m stumped trying to hook it up to the channels. Gonna watch a SFLogicNinja Tut tomorrow about hooking up Arpeggiator, which might (hopefully) help.

Cheers ICN - this looks brilliant (if a bit terrifying!) I’ll take a look tonight and see if I can make sense of it all. I’d forgotten about SF Logic Ninja - I’ll have to revisit his vids again.

I know what you have to do. You’ve to connect a cable up to an Input. Too tired last night to figure out why I couldnt see it.

Open the USS File… Keep it open. Then open one of your Songs, or Template (make a Copy to mess with) and then go to environment & Import Layer - I think it is… And it’ll ask whether you want to import USS.

Thats fine… But I think it needs to be wired into a Monitor Object or something & then into the Physical or Sequencer Input. I just couldnt find where to drag the wire.

USS is activated when you hit Play on it… rather than Play on Transport.

Think its ready to go then on any track you select.

What problems you having with thesy’s? i use it regularly i might be able to help out.

Im useless at writing melodies and thesys does things i could never come up with on my own

Hey Man…

Can you use Thesys with L8/9 to drive its synths & 3rd party Synths?

Are you doing loads of routing to get it working?

yeh there is a little bit of routing required but its nothing major and its detailed really well in the manual.

Basically you create two software instrument tracks insert thesys on one and the software instrument you want to drive on the other.  Then you just open the environment and create a physical input and plug it into the VST track.  Then your good to go thesys will play your VST.  You can set up as sequencer input to if you want to record thesys’s output… this is what i usually do… i then just place the recorded midi on to the orginal vst track and use thesys to drive another synth and so on… i only have one instance of thesys going

Its really good i cant get nothing down without it now

oh yes it works in logic 9 and yes it runs third party synths:)

[quote]vibes (26/08/2010)[hr]yeh there is a little bit of routing required but its nothing major and its detailed really well in the manual.

Basically you create two software instrument tracks insert thesys on one and the software instrument you want to drive on the other. Then you just open the environment and create a physical input and plug it into the VST track. Then your good to go thesys will play your VST. You can set up as sequencer input to if you want to record thesys’s output… this is what i usually do… i then just place the recorded midi on to the orginal vst track and use thesys to drive another synth and so on… i only have one instance of thesys going

Its really good i cant get nothing down without it now

oh yes it works in logic 9 and yes it runs third party synths:)[/quote]

Nice one - cheers vibes! I’ll give it a go once my hands stop quaking at the thought of opening the environment again… :hehe:

Sweet!

I last looked at it a few years ago I think… & there were all sorts of issues… which the company admitted afaik.

That is ****ing class. Must check out the demo again. Love step sequencers!

Just one thing…

Can you record the Midi coming out of it?

or can you drag & drop / copy & paste the patterns?

vibes - I’ve had a go at connecting through the environment with no luck. I’d understand completely if you can’t be arsed, but is there any chance you could run through it again? When I enter the environment, which is the best view to use? I’ve tried Mixer, All Objects and Click and Port, but when I wire the ‘Thesys’ channel into a software instrument, I just hear Thesys playing its own self-generated waveform.

Sorry to be a klutz.

Now… If Vibes could upload a little Template… Cough, Splutter, Wink, Wink, Nod, Tic, Point etc… :wink: :smiley: :cool:

I’m just going through the manual now. I’ve only got the demo of Thesys - this could well be a purchasing opportunity (excuse)…:smiley:

I’ve just been on Logic Pro Help about hooking up USS & basically got a RTFM! LOL

I still cant make head nor tail of it :smiley:

Nope - me neither. I can’t believe something so easy in Ableton is so frikkin hard in Logic! What the hell are Apple playing at with the AU not sending out MIDI???