Stressed.com

Hi guys,

I’ve recently bought a pair of Yamaha HS50’s and am having some issues with getting the most out of them.

I bought a “Y” 1/4" to jack cable and that is currently plugged into the headphone socket of my Audigy 2ZS Platinum Pro external sound box, because when I try to plug it directly into the soundcard it gets a horrible feedback humming noise coming from them. :crazy:

However, when it’s plugged into the headphone socket they sound really quiet and if I try turning the sound up on the computer it makes all of the onboard computer noises sound even louder than the speakers!

I’ve got until Friday to decide if I want these speakers or not and at the mo I haven’t got a clue how to fix this issue so can’t test them out properly.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

p.s. Oh I’ve got the external soundcard connected through firewire, and then a jack to 1/4" is running from the PC into a lineout of the external soundcard so I can record mixes etc…

Sorry if this all sounds confusing but like I say any help would be appreciated!

get your self a good soundcard one that has the red and white think there called rca imputs and get your self a cheap studio mixer im using a berringer xenyx802 for exaplme I have a friend studying to become a sound engineer and is also a produce recommend this is the best way to go for good sound quality

should of added if your using a desktop I would recommened either asus or creative titanium internal sound cards if you have a desktop there around the 200 dollar mark but the sound quality is so much better

Yeah get a sound card with RCA connections, some decent cables and a ground loop isolator. This should sort the problem.

The ground loop isolator will earth the connection and eliminate any feedback coming from your computer. :slight_smile:

[quote]nathan_robinson13 (27/09/2011)[hr]should of added if your using a desktop I would recommened either asus or creative titanium internal sound cards if you have a desktop there around the 200 dollar mark but the sound quality is so much better[/quote]

I disagree with this. They are both crap. Get an audio interface (soundcard) designed for music production. Like this:

http://www.dv247.com/computer-hardware/focusrite-saffire-6-usb–67804

[quote]D-tox1809 (26/09/2011)[hr]
p.s. Oh I’ve got the external soundcard connected through firewire, and then a jack to 1/4" is running from the PC into a lineout of the external soundcard so I can record mixes etc…

[/quote]

A good audio interface is the best option, but you should be able to get this to sound ok. I think you should get it working with the monitors connected to the breakout box.

Unplug the cable you mention above, I think it is a feedback loop, then connect the monitors to the breakout box and give that a try.

[quote]johnlad (27/09/2011)[hr]Yeah get a sound card with RCA connections, some decent cables and a ground loop isolator. This should sort the problem.

The ground loop isolator will earth the connection and eliminate any feedback coming from your computer. :)[/quote]

I thought feedback rather than ground loop hum, but it isn’t clear from what OP said. Problem is a lot of ground loop isolators simply filter out the mains frequency. In the Uk that is 50Hz and in most other places that is 60Hz, right where your kick and sub bass is. Not ideal for producing music.

Finding the cause is harder, but really worth it.

You might disagree but I know plenty of signed producers and two of them are studying to be sound engineers good enough for them good enough for me.

[quote]nathan_robinson13 (27/09/2011)[hr]You might disagree but I know plenty of signed producers and two of them are studying to be sound engineers good enough for them good enough for me.[/quote]

I don’t doubt that it is possible to make brillaint music using any soundcard, but they are gaming cards and **** compared to audio interfaces. It is bad advice, sorry.

I meant audio interface just used poor terminology. How do you suggest getting to the bottom of the hum then? I had this problem with mine and the only solution I could find was to use a loop isolator.

[quote]johnlad (27/09/2011)[hr]I meant audio interface just used poor terminology. How do you suggest getting to the bottom of the hum then? I had this problem with mine and the only solution I could find was to use a loop isolator.[/quote]

John - Ground loop hum is a b!tch to sort out. Are you using a laptop or a desktop computer? And if it is a laptop, do you still get the hum when you are unplugged from the mains and running on battery?

Using a desktop. I’ve got an iMac, M-audio interface, then RCA cables supplying my KRK Rokit 5’s. The only other thing I suppose I could try is using RCA to XLR cables, but the cables are only short and apparently from what I had read RCA cables only get outside interference when over 2 metres in length.

Cheers :slight_smile:

I didn’t quite word that right.

RCA cables get outside interference from the environment above 2 metres. This doesn’t include the computer, so I know its the connection with the computer causing the problem

[quote]johnlad (27/09/2011)[hr]Using a desktop. I’ve got an iMac, M-audio interface, then RCA cables supplying my KRK Rokit 5’s. The only other thing I suppose I could try is using RCA to XLR cables, but the cables are only short and apparently from what I had read RCA cables only get outside interference when over 2 metres in length.

Cheers :)[/quote]

Ok, it isn’t what I thought. I agree with what you have said about RCA cables, BUT if you search these forums you will find loads of people (well, at least two) who have ground loop hum from KRK Rokit monitors and RCA cables. When they changed to XLR the problem went away.

I think there is a problem with the transformer being too close to the RCA input in the Rokits, rather than a problem with the cable. But that is just a guess.

I would get XLR and ditch the isolators.

Ok, thanks for the help. I will give it try :slight_smile:

Does your interface have ballanced outputs? I am not sure that running RCA to XLR / TRS will do the job :doze:

I don’t think so. It was a cheap one I got about a year ago to get me started, and never upgraded. I can’t see it mentioned in the product description.

http://www.dolphinmusic.co.uk/product/4667-m-audio-fast-track-usb-audio-interface-.html

Hi Ant,

thanks for the advice. So this Focusrite soundcard is just an external breakout box then, no need to install anything physically to my PC?

I’ve never ahd any problems with the other soundcard until now. I’ll try what you advised about the cables and get back to you in a min.

Thanks again

[quote]johnlad (27/09/2011)[hr]Yeah get a sound card with RCA connections, some decent cables and a ground loop isolator. This should sort the problem.

The ground loop isolator will earth the connection and eliminate any feedback coming from your computer. :)[/quote]

I’m trying to stay away from RCA John as XLR carry a much cleaner signal (so I’m told). I’ve got a DJM 800 that I could plug them into but again I wanna try and get the most neutral sound possible and I reckon the mixer would colour the sound too much so wouldn’t be getting a true indication of what I’m doing.

It’s such a blag! All I wanna do is start trying to mixdown some tracks I’ve made and I’m hitting hurdle after hurdle :angry:

No joy I’m afraid, it sounds the same if I plug it into the part of the soundcard that’s attached to my PC as it does if I connect it to the headphone socket of the breakout box.

Are anyone else’s “windows” onboard sounds louder than the music they hear coming out of the speakers? I’m just trying to determine if it’s normal or whether I need to spend some dollar on a new soundcard.