Studio Monitors ( midrange - price to value )

1. DYNAUDIO BM5A MK2[/url]

Woofer 7’'

Dynaudio Bm5a or Bm6a2 mk2 it’s a great studio monitor when looking at price/value.

With the BM 5A MKII it’s taken an established industry standard and made it louder, clearer and more accurate than ever. With the BM5A MKII expect better monitoring across the entire frequency range. Origin Denmark.

Sound On Sound Review

================================================================

2. EVENT 20/20 bas

Woofer 7.1’‘

First released in 1995, the original 20/20 nearfield studio monitor revolutionised the recording industry and secured itself a place in the hearts of audio engineers the world over for its truthful reproduction and outstanding sonic character.Now Event is proud to announce a new generation of 20/20BAS for 2011.This company also makes Event Opal studio monitors (8’'woofer).Origin Australia.

===============================================================

3. FOCAL CMS50

CMS50 Woofer 5’‘

CMS65 Woofer 6.5’‘

CMS40 Woofer 4’'

Focal Professional presented the CMS 50 to mipa-Party/Awards-Ceremony held during Musikmesse / Prolight + Sound this worlwide competition in 2009 . Focal CMS 50, Genelec 6010 and Event Opal have been selected to compete for the final round of the MIPA in the Studio Monitor category. The result? The CMS 50 has been awarded best studio monitor! The inverted dome tweeter technology offers outstanding dynamics and a degree of definition in the treble that allow precise measurement of reverb tails and other effects, which are normally very difficult to assess.Origin France.

Music radar review

4. SONODYNE SM100

SM 100Ak Woofer 6.5’’

SM 50Ak Woofer 5.25’‘

SM 200Ak Woofer 8’'

Today Sonodyne’s market strength is built around research, with over 40 engineers on staff and research labs in both Mumbai and Kolkata.What makes Sonodyne so different from other monitor manufacturers is their unique experience in three areas: power amplifiers, integration of electronics and acoustics and die cast cabinet technology.

Magnetically shielded, it may be placed beside video monitors.The real strength of these monitors is in their mid-range detail and spacious stereo imaging, with enticing treble precision — and those things are key to building accurate mixes.Sonodyne is perhaps the most important audio manufacturer in India.

Music Radar Review

SOS review

5. NEUMANN KH120

Woofer 5.25’'

Neumann the legendary microphone manufacturer’s first-ever reference monitor speakers for 2011.

Origin Germany.

==============================================================

6. MACKIE HR824 MK2

Woofer 8.75’‘

Back in the ’90s, HR Series studio reference monitors revolutionized studio monitoring. With their incredible sound quality and affordability, they earned a wide and loyal following, fast becoming the industry standard.Origin USA.

Music radar review

==========================================================

7.JBL

Woofer 6’'

JBL LSR 4326P features RMC™ Room Mode Correction, JBL’s exclusive technology that automatically analyzes and corrects the response of each speaker in the room for absolute accuracy at the mix position.

=============================================================

7. ACOUSTIC ENERGY AE 22

It’s a UK company.

Music Radar review

9.RCF MYTHO

Woofer:

MYTHO 6: ACTIVE TWO-WAY 6.5"

MYTHO 8: ACTIVE TWO-WAY 8"

A new line of reference studio monitors that combine the legendary quality and reliability of RCF precision transducers with the latest development in digital amplification technology and acoustic design.Origin Italy.

============================================================

10.PSI Audio A17-M

Origin Switzerland.

11.KK Audio Labs DS-6

Woofers:

DS-6 (6’‘)

DS-8 (8’')

KK Audio Labs, led by industry veteran Keith R. Klawitter, founder and former owner of KRK Systems, is a Southern California,USA-based company that designs and manufactures high-end audio products for the recording studio and professional live sound markets.

===========================================================

12.M-Audio EX66

Woofers - 2 x 6"

Sound on Sound review

future music review

==========================================================

8. PIONEER S-DJ08

Woofer 8’‘

Pioneer the manufacturer of DJ mixers is proud to introduce its first active reference speakers designed specifically with DJ/Producers in mind. The studio friendly S-DJ08 (8-inch) is available from late December and the smaller all round DJ lifestyle choice S-DJ05 (5 inch) from early January 2011. Both models come as a pair.

14.Equator Audio D5

Woofer 5.25"

Our new D Series studio monitors are geared for the recording professional seeking a small, affordable, accurate, reference studio monitor solution. These monitors are designed to work primarily in the direct or near field. They are small enough to move from studio to studio as well as computer to computer.

Not included KRK,Behringer,Yamaha,

Genelec - origin Finland

(small woofers sizes and big prices, not enough bass for some , genelecs does nice marketing )

Genelec 8030A woofer 5’‘

Genelec 8040A woofer 6.5’‘

ADAM - origin Germany

ADAM A3X woofer 4.5’‘

ADAM A5X woofer 5.5”

ADAM A7X woofer 7’‘

ADAM A8X woofer 8.5’‘

Following ADAM’s revision of the A5 and the A7, two new active monitors join the AX Series. Not magnetically shielded. A3x Not suitable for low-end focused mixes.A8x Disappointing mid-range response.

Music radar review a8x

a3x

Audio media

Further readings:

[url=http://www.tweakheadz.com/studio_monitors.htm]zZounds.com | Musical Instruments Music Store. Shop for Guitars, Drums, Amplifiers and Equipment.

[url=http://www.homestudiocorner.com/2009/04/16/12-home-studio-necessities-5-studio-monitors/]http://www.homestudiocorner.com/2009/04/16/12-home-studio-necessities-5-studio-monitors/[/url]

[url=http://mixonline.com/gear/buyersguides/near_field_reference_monitors_2011/index.html]http://mixonline.com/gear/buyersguides/near_field_reference_monitors_2011/index.html[/url]

Frequency response and monitor power

Studio monitors/audio interface for the budget

balance between price and quality trancemoon forum

topic discussion

===========================================================

Monitor controllers:

Mackie Big Knob

Dangerous Music D-Box

[url=http://www.smproaudio.com/]http://www.smproaudio.com/[/url]

Monitor stands:

Quiklok

Gale Arc

http://www.ultimatesupport.com/category/Studio_Stands

What are your experiences with some of them in terms of reliability and sound quality.

Low end / high end? Suggest good ones for trance,dance,house,techno music.

The best use of Woofer 5’’ vs 8’’ ?

Cool list!! Thanks!

No genelec or adam? Both really hot at the mo.

Im a actually temped to get some new speakers. Mackies are so 90s

Most dance guys i knw swear by the mackie hr824 mark1s… They have a slightly compressed/tuned bottom end that just works nice with kicks…

j4electrix

i was thinking really hard about getting the Adam A7X but it’s says that it’s not good for low frequency mixes. these monitors sounded amazing when i heard them. are these not good monitors for EDM??

[quote]willidaniel (28/05/2011)[hr]j4electrix

i was thinking really hard about getting the Adam A7X but it’s says that it’s not good for low frequency mixes. these monitors sounded amazing when i heard them. are these not good monitors for EDM??[/quote]

I haven’t hear them tbh, this is what the reviews say.

Everyone has their own taste.

Many psy trance producers use adams or dynaudio for psy/goa trance.

Some artists: carbon based lifeforms,astrix,dr motte, mike sheridan,mike acosta.

Studio monitor with 8’’ woofer is good for music that require a bass for (hardstyle,dance) music.If you get 5’’ woofer then you probably need subwofer to compensate for the bass if you need it.8" monitors can create issues too, since they have so much more low end, but for dance music you need that low end.

I went thru hell in the past because i stupidly decided to sell my Bm5a mk1 to preorder and wait for the bm5a mk2… I liked so much the mk1 that i couldnt wait for the new bm5a mk2 to arrive. After 5months of waiting, i could’nt believe how cold they sounded compared to the old model. Even after break-in period of 200hours the sound was precise and high end but sounded cold and the frequencies didn’t gel together at all…

Also dynamics was very bad at low volume listening

I don’t understand how a company like dynaudio could produce a soso unlinear speaker like that with so good high end component like esotar tweeter…

didn’t like them at all and decided to go for the K&H o110d that i find very good in multiple aspects.

Anyway stay away from that model… I still miss the wonderful sound of the bm5a mk1 tho and wished that i would have bought the bm6 mk1

My guess is that the amplifier of the bm5a mk2 monitors wasn’t strong enough to really give dynamics to the tweeters and woofers at low volumes

Anyway, my two cents…

Good to know.

I found this youtube comment.

Dynaudio monitors are great when they work. My BM6’s failed after 10 months, due to the cheap capacitors they used (Solen and Bennic). Like everyone else, they use the cheapest parts they can find. The best thing to do, if you want to keep using them, is to gut all the cheap parts and replace them with quality components. Dynaudio’s warranty service is worse than useless, so you’ll have to do it yourself, or find someone capable.

Well , I guess some1 purchase a bad product from the production line or are Dynaudios bad in general, are they?