Sub bass tutorial, please

hello sonic academy members,

first i want to thank sonic academy to make my production better!

sorry for my bad english:

i would like to see in the future an tutorial with a lot of examples about how to play sub bassline with deep bass drums… cause all my productions are mostly fat only the deep frequencies making problems… i know about all tips from here and all over the internet that i can use side chaining for bass ducking or the bass must be in an other frequency range like the kick or otherwise… but if i looking on my digicheck frequenc analyzer from rme and analyze some tracks like format b or other tech house producers they got sometimes deep bass drum and subbasses playin in the same frequency… in the last tutorial from sonic academy minimal techno advanced… he using an 808 tom as an bassline and also an deep kick with an long decay in the same frequency range without sidechaining and nothing sounds muddy or something… but otherwise people saying the bass drum and bassline must be in different frequency range or it must be use an sidechain compressor!

its verry hard to explain my problems cause my english is not the best… sorry but i hope you understanding what i mean to make an extra tutorial about basslines and subkicks with alot of examples!

this an example of track… 2 different basslines and and an deep kick!

Format b

- YouTube

Groeneveld & Gelderblom - Fokker 126 (Koen Groeneveld Mix)

Groeneveld & Gelderblom - Fokker 126 (Koen Groeneveld Mix) - YouTube

Dubfire Vs Oliver Huntemann - Diablo (Original Mix)

Dubfire Vs Oliver Huntemann - Diablo (Original Mix) - YouTube

thanx

Big +1 for this.

I’m always unsure about what kicks to put with a sub. I normally end up with something something regardless - but would love to see a vid about it.

This is what I usually do. I always SC the sub to be sure… and usually only have it between Kicks. I’ll also usually give it a longer attack, so that its more of a fade in, than a Boom. I typically only use single notes, kinda stabby on the offbeat - rather than a proper riff.

Also check the release so that it doesnt fck with the next kick.

I’ll keep it as low as I can - volume wise… so that I can just about hear it & notice it gone when its out. Figure that you dont want that sh!t too loud.

You could always A/B it next to one of those track that you like to get the levels in the Ballpark. Just drag it onto your arrange.

There ya go! A technique born out of inexperience - but it does the job for me.

Maybe a long Tech Tip? I’d love to see something on this subject.

[quote]IC_NO_ONE (30/10/2010)[hr]Big +1 for this.

I’m always unsure about what kicks to put with a sub. I normally end up with something something regardless - but would love to seea vidabout it.

This is what I usually do. I always SC the sub to be sure… and usually only have it between Kicks. I’ll also usually give it a longer attack, so that its more of a fade in, than a Boom. I typically only use single notes, kinda stabby on the offbeat - rather than a proper riff.

Also check the release so that it doesnt fck with the next kick.

I’ll keep it as low as I can - volume wise… so that I can just about hear it & notice it gone when its out. Figure that you dont want that sh!t too loud.

You could always A/B it next to one of those track that you like to get the levels in the Ballpark. Just drag it onto your arrange.

There ya go! A technique born out of inexperience - but it does the job for me.

Maybe a long Tech Tip? I’d love to see something on this subject.[/quote]

thanks for your post and your tips!

i will try to use your tips… some of them i use before… like i say it… it would be nice to see some tutorials! i dont know if this artists like format b or dubfire have professional audio engineer which mix and mastering her ****… i always producing on my headphones cause my room acoustic are bad… i got some absorber panels for the midrange but not really good basstraps so my room acoustic in the low frequency are bad… but if i go to to the corners in the room i hear a big bass… and the music sounds like in my car with the subwoofer! so im checkin always after i produce the bassline with my headphones also in my corners if the bassline good coresponding with the bassdrum but its sounds always muddy and bad with the bassdrum… everybody would say thats normal cause in the corners always more bass… but if play an track by format b or other tech house producers the bass is also fat in the corners but not muddy or something… but on my frequency analyzer i see that my bass is not so loud and in the same range like the professional mastered tracks from format b or other! im also looking always to my plugin from smartelectronix called s(M)exoscope if my bassline have to much decay or something and eating the bassdrum… its not so… ooohhhhh **** its verry hard to explain in english for me…

i hope to see some tutorials about that with a lot of examples!

peace everybody

one thing i have forgotten…

it would be also nice if we can send sonic academy some tracks that they analyze them in the video… what kind of mistakes we make and what we can make better!

The rule of thumb is your kick should be the subbiest part of your track with the sub bass slightly above it and so on. Even though it may seem that your kick sub bass and low toms are covering the exact same frequencies they can be treated to make room for each other slightly. Slight dips and boosts here and there with eq does wonders and thats before you sidechain also one of the easiest ways to create instant groove in your track is to sidechain EVERYTHING to your kick. Even a slight sidechain can do wonders for low end clarity. Another tip is to cut your bass at around 35-40hz. If you find your working with a kick and a bass that are peaking at the exact same frequency it may be even easier to change your kick or change your bass patch. There are know concrete rules but use this as a rough (very) rough guideline. 55-58 = the subbiest part of your kick and so your track, you can go below this but might cos mud and unclarity. 60-75 sub bass, i know people say sub bass is below 60hz but listen to tracks in 90% of todays dance tracks there will be an offbeat sub bass that is very audible like a tone. If it was peaking below 60hz it wouldnt be AS audible as they usually are but you can go down below 60 as its offbeat it shouldnt clash with your kick you just need to make sure your kick is the subbiest thing in your track. 80-120hz= the meat of your low end. This is where you give the audible parts of your low end power, this is the frequency range that you hear as well as slightly feel . You can use this for low toms and to fill out your low end sounds like your bass and kick, see this range as body as well as power. Now there is a huge debate of which magical frequency range is the club system power destroyer. Some say its in the 60hz range some say its the 80hz and some say its between 115-130hz. My conclusion is there isnt really a magical frequency range, i think if you have a tight low end and everything sitting well and gelling together including phase and speaker correlation and vibration and all that **** then this will equal a club system pounder that smacks people in the gut as well as making the hairs on the back of the neck stand up. Bass isnt just meant to be heard its meant to be felt as well.

[quote]jjdejong0 (31/10/2010)[hr]The rule of thumb is your kick should be the subbiest part of your track with the sub bass slightly above it and so on. Even though it may seem that your kick sub bass and low toms are covering the exact same frequencies they can be treated to make room for each other slightly. Slight dips and boosts here and there with eq does wonders and thats before you sidechain also one of the easiest ways to create instant groove in your track is to sidechain EVERYTHING to your kick. Even a slight sidechain can do wonders for low end clarity. Another tip is to cut your bass at around 35-40hz. If you find your working with a kick and a bass that are peaking at the exact same frequency it may be even easier to change your kick or change your bass patch. There are know concrete rules but use this as a rough (very) rough guideline. 55-58 = the subbiest part of your kick and so your track, you can go below this but might cos mud and unclarity. 60-75 sub bass, i know people say sub bass is below 60hz but listen to tracks in 90% of todays dance tracks there will be an offbeat sub bass that is very audible like a tone. If it was peaking below 60hz it wouldnt be AS audible as they usually are but you can go down below 60 as its offbeat it shouldnt clash with your kick you just need to make sure your kick is the subbiest thing in your track. 80-120hz= the meat of your low end. This is where you give the audible parts of your low end power, this is the frequency range that you hear as well as slightly feel . You can use this for low toms and to fill out your low end sounds like your bass and kick, see this range as body as well as power. Now there is a huge debate of which magical frequency range is the club system power destroyer. Some say its in the 60hz range some say its the 80hz and some say its between 115-130hz. My conclusion is there isnt really a magical frequency range, i think if you have a tight low end and everything sitting well and gelling together including phase and speaker correlation and vibration and all that **** then this will equal a club system pounder that smacks people in the gut as well as making the hairs on the back of the neck stand up. Bass isnt just meant to be heard its meant to be felt as well.[/quote]

thx for your tips

otro 1