Swedish House Mafia

Hi,

I’ve watched the section “How to make swedish house mafia” and I’ve problems in the costruction of the project, because I don’t understand how to make the first steps. For example, I can’t understand why kick and clap are empty, and so on. I think that the tutorials begins with the complete, advanced project. I would like to have further information (how to begin).

Thanks

try watching the beginners ableton live tutorial. then after that you should be ok to go. watch all the videos in order from beginner up and you will get things easier. music and daw comprehension is not easy.

I understand how you feel mate. I’m just starting myself and often find myself itching to jump right in when I haven really mastered the basics.

I would suggest as well to do all of the beginner tutorials first before jumping into the How to Sound like tutorials. The tracks wont sound like swedish house by any means but will teach you the basis behind actually making the music which is most important.

Also, after you walk through the tutorial, try to recreate it from beginning to end. This will help the concepts stick as it causes practice by repetition.

/\ Yup

[quote]howiegroove (25/08/2010)[hr]try watching the beginners ableton live tutorial. then after that you should be ok to go. watch all the videos in order from beginner up and you will get things easier. music and daw comprehension is not easy.[/quote]

Yep +1.

It’s so easy to want to get to the ‘good stuff’ asap, we’ve ALL been there bro. But you need to learn your DAW first, just follow and do the beginners tut. I say DO, because as you’re doing it, you take it in better, don’t just watch the videos.

Then after you’ll have a firm grasp on all the basics of your DAW.

The Ableton and Cubase beginners tuts on here are what I watched and learn’t from actually, before them i had NO idea. So I was in the exact same boat as you, if i can do it, you definitely can too :slight_smile:

Remember if you have any problems or questions about anything, we’re here on the forum to help.

When would you say someone is ready to move to say the “intermediate” stage of the tutorials?

What principles would you say someone needs in order not to consider themselves “beginner” status?

Also, after you completed all the beginner tutorials, what was the next tutorial you dove into?

[quote]J.HiZ (30/08/2010)[hr]When would you say someone is ready to move to say the “intermediate” stage of the tutorials?

What principles would you say someone needs in order not to consider themselves “beginner” status?

Also, after you completed all the beginner tutorials, what was the next tutorial you dove into?

[/quote]

I don’t think you really think about it so much, when you’ve learned the beginners stuff then you move into the intermediate stuff, it’s really just as simple as that. Keep practicing along the way.

If there is anything you’re not sure about or can’t remember, just go back and re-watch the particular video/s.

I think the video i did after the beginners stuff was the HTSL deadmau5 one which is now called How to make progressive electro house, or actualy it could have been the funky house bobby blanco one. It was so long ago now.

But the thing is, there is no strict way you should go through the HTSL videos. Just get the beginners stuff out the way so you know your DAW, then start watching the HTSL videos, every video teaches you something new and if there is anything in particular you weren’t sure about in one of the videos, then just ask on the forums, no matter how stupid you think it is (although do try to use the Search function first as chances are, someone else has asked the same Q). We’re not that kinda forum to flame you if you ask a ‘n00b question’, that’s ridiculas, no one is born knowing. EVERYONE had to learn sometime and if you don’t ask… you don’t get.

Time, practice, patience and enjoy what you’re doing are you other key factors to your learning and development.

It’s human nature to want to know everything and be great at something instantly, but the sad reality is that doesn’t happen that way, not with any skill.

It takes time to learn something, it takes more time to master it… and even then, you’re still learning. With music production, you will always be learning new things.