Swing / Groove tutorials or articles

Hi guys!

I’m a bit newbie here, so I couldnt find more stuff related to swing / rhythm / groove.

I have already watched Sonic Academy Tutorials connected to rhythm:

01 - Beginners Guide To Music Theory. Rhythm

02 - Music Theory. Rhythm

But I want a bit more knowledge about swing, groove, rhythm…

Do you guys have something?

I saw someday an article about this in Future Music magazine, but I don’t remember the number of that issue. Even just the number or the month released will help me.

Thanks in beforehand!

And think this information will be handy for everyone!

what exactly do you want to know about it?

Just to be quick, groove can’t really be taught. But it can be “learned” by absorbing and experiencing as much American jazz of the 1930s through the 1950s that you can get your hands on. I mentioned just three of the more accessible artists you might want to try listening to: Louis Armstrong, Ella Fitzgerald, and Stevie Wonder.

When you’re done with those, check out:

Miles Davis

Duke Ellington

Chick Webb

Fletcher Henderson

Bill Evans

Bud Powell

Bix Beiderbecke

Dizzy Gillespie

Charlie Parker

Billie Holiday

Benny Goodman

Artie Shaw

Herbie Hancock

King Oliver

James P. Johnson

Wilie “The Lion” Smith

Clifford Brown

Modern Jazz Quartet

and Max Roach

Listen to about 5-10 tunes, arrangements or compositions of each of these individuals and you’ll have a good start in your study of swing, shuffle, overall groove and the slight variations each artist will tend to use from piece to piece, and in some cases, section to section within one tune. Technical use of swing and groove in a DAW is simple. It’s the perception of the amount that should be applied that is the tough part to assess.

Don’t fall into the trap of thinking groove or swing is easily gained. It takes time, patience and effort to acquire the skill.

J

[quote]Technorik (06/07/2011)[hr]Hi guys!

I’m a bit newbie here, so I couldnt find more stuff related to swing / rhythm / groove.

I have already watched Sonic Academy Tutorials connected to rhythm:

01 - Beginners Guide To Music Theory. Rhythm

02 - Music Theory. Rhythm

But I want a bit more knowledge about swing, groove, rhythm…

Do you guys have something?

I saw someday an article about this in Future Music magazine, but I don’t remember the number of that issue. Even just the number or the month released will help me.

Thanks in beforehand!

And think this information will be handy for everyone![/quote]