Swing

Hi guys,im looking for advice for swings:)

What swings are used in progressive? or what in tech house?

And do you use swings only on hi hats,perc on drums only? Or you also use on ledas,stubs,bass ?

Any kind of advice is welcomed:)

use swing on everything. but, when you pick a swing, you need stick with the same one throughout. swing creates a groove. basically it adjusts velocities, accents, and timing of specific notes. different swings in the same song will create a mess.

as for what to use on progressive, you can use just about anything. there are no rules. pick what sounds the best to your ears.

[quote]howiegroove (01/10/2010)[hr]use swing on everything. but, when you pick a swing, you need stick with the same one throughout. swing creates a groove. basically it adjusts velocities, accents, and timing of specific notes. different swings in the same song will create a mess.

as for what to use on progressive, you can use just about anything. there are no rules. pick what sounds the best to your ears.[/quote]

Howie, sorry but you are misinforming the OP. Swing has nothing to do with velocities and accents. It is only about the positioning of certain notes in the grid. For example; if you have a 16th grid, the even numbers are the only positions that move - positive swing values would move them later in the grid, the more you apply the swing the later they are (the odd positions do not move - this includes the beats and off beats). This is universal across all DAWs. Swing is the repositioning of every other grid position at whatever quantize resolution you are using. Negative values on swing if the DAW allows it move every other position earlier.

I think you may be getting confused with Groove… this is different to swing - groove is a combination of grid positions (possibly a few ticks either side of a grid position - ie not necessarily conforming to a quantize grid), velocity etc…

Regards,

Danny

Heres a link to a midi pack that I threw up in the Tech Production Thread.

Its got a midi in it with 16C Quant setting from Logic. Its a good place to start as you can always push it forward or back as you want.

Shuffle Midi.zip

You’ll see it in there amongst the other files.

EDIT - I use it one Perc & rolling bassline type things. I try it on anything, then mess around with the % maybe - or try another Quant type.

I wont have the same Quant on all elements - ever… cos I personally think it sounds too mechanical.

Its nice to rough things up a little, or if you want to be a mad cnut, hit the humanise feature (logic has one), which will add differences in velocity / postition and length to whatever you select. I like messing around with it - or different Quants to fk things up if I’m stuggling to make something sound good.

Sometimes you can hit lucky being drastic.

So in short - I use maybe 16C on some of the main elements, but will mess around with the timings on other things to get a more humanised type groove.

i did confuse them. sorry, but i am aware of the difference. my bad, didnt think it thru

do u have to buy swings or are the built into abelton? im very confused

They’re in the groove pool Mate - You can also import midi files that have been “Swung” & extract the groove / swing from it to use on whatever.

[quote]igorkostoski (01/10/2010)[hr]Hi guys,im looking for advice for swings:)
And do you use swings only on hi hats,perc on drums only? Or you also use on ledas,stubs,bass ?
Any kind of advice is welcomed:)[/quote]

google “swingers” and youll find all the answers there my friend!!!

[quote]Mussi81 (02/10/2010)[hr][quote]igorkostoski (01/10/2010)[hr]Hi guys,im looking for advice for swings:)

google “swingers” and youll find all the answers there my friend!!![/quote]

Thanks Mussi thats my weekend sorted :slight_smile:

[quote]slender (02/10/2010)[hr][quote]Mussi81 (02/10/2010)[hr][quote]igorkostoski (01/10/2010)[hr]Hi guys,im looking for advice for swings:)

google “swingers” and youll find all the answers there my friend!!![/quote]

Thanks Mussi thats my weekend sorted :)[/quote]

pm me i have a proposition!!

Actually swing does affect velocity sometimes as well as slight grid adjustments. Swing is like your stuff is being played by a live musician. No human will ever play in perfect time and with exact amounts of velocity this phenomenon makes for a groove. Try it out I’m not sure which swings but I think the percussion swings in ableton are good, load one up and throw it on a drum loop, check the velocity.